weird shedding

Katherine TildesKatherine Tildes Member Posts: 234
edited 4 February, 2010 in Cat Health
My cat Tobey all of a sudden developed some odd balding/shedding, but ONLY on her R back leg. Shes not scratchig, or biting, or even pulling her fur out there, its just...going bald. Shes not in any pain or discomfort, and when I touch her shes just irritated at me for poking at her. Any suggestions?? I wish i could post a pic here...

Comments

• Cass DoolittleCass Doolittle FlandersMember Posts: 341
    edited 21 January, 2010
    Did Tobey recently get any topical medication, like a deworming or anti-flea treatment? I had a big bald spot on my back from a dewormer, and a couple of smaller ones on my tail and leg from where my clumsy Mom may have dripped a litte. Turns out that some cats develop temporary hair loss from both such meds. Otherwise, I dunno. Ringworm? I think that itches, though.
  • Katherine TildesKatherine Tildes Member Posts: 234
    edited 22 January, 2010
    no, nothing has been put on her, nothing has changed in so far as food, litter, or anything. i looked at ring worm online and its not at all like that. *shrug* I may take her to the vet just in case. thanks!
  • janice lancasterjanice lancaster temple gaMember Posts: 2,505
    edited 22 January, 2010
    Is it thinning before it goes bald, or do you just suddenly get a totally naked spot? I ask because it took forever for Meowma to figure out that I was actually knocking off the top layer of skin and making weird, totally slick spots here and there on occasion--by zooming around like a maniac and cutting it too close running over, under between things. She would hear a little 'thump' and sure enough--new bare spot.
    edited 24 January, 2010
    hmm..I don't know. Its just her back legs. Its quite odd. Here's a pic http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v691/tildesk/tobeysheddi.jpg
  • Cass DoolittleCass Doolittle FlandersMember Posts: 341
    edited 25 January, 2010
    I\'m thinking that a vet visit is a good idea. Might be an allergy. Any change in Tobey\'s food? Or something else in the house, like a new carpet?
  • Dawn HarmanDawn Harman SpeedwellMember Posts: 1,079
    edited 25 January, 2010
    Hey Tobey, :-h I was not able to see the pic, but I would defiantly watch the spot and if it bothers you or your Meowma, She can put Neosporin on the spot. Could be a bug bite or something. If it does not get better, see your vet. Good Luck and plz keep us posted!
    edited 26 January, 2010
    Well, its not just a spot, its like the whole of her back legs, the lower part. It seems to be on her tummy too. I think it constitutes a vet visit...nothing is new, no new carpets or food or anything!!
    edited 27 January, 2010
    Tummy and back leg u say???? Ok that sounds like stress and over grooming/licking. I had a cat that used to do that on his belly. Watch and see if this is going on.Let us know what you find out. |:|
    edited 27 January, 2010
    i think it IS over-grooming/stress...I wonder if my being gone on weekends is stressing her out..she has her sister-kitty to play with and there's always food and water..sigh.
    edited 29 January, 2010
    If possible, you should spend more time with her. Or you could leave some t-shirts that you have worn around the place for her. There is also a plug in pheromone that may help, but it is pricey.. Get some of her fav treats and sit with her and make her feel special too. My kitties love there Greenies! I am glad that is all that is wrong, but it can be tough to handle. Head butts to Her... Peace, Dawn
    edited 31 January, 2010
    thnx guys! Ive been spending time w her more. she sleeps w/ me a lot and Ive been taking time to show her more affection. She seems ok. her furs not any better but she seems happier.
    edited 4 February, 2010
    Oh excellent! Please keep it up ad let us know how she is doing! =;