Dear Catster reader,

Almost two years ago, we invested numerous resources and rebuilt the Catster community. With new hardware, software and personnel, we did our best to satisfy the many users who shared their thoughts, pictures, questions, and love for and of their pets with us and friends. It was a thriving community with many users. We hoped, however, there would be more like you.

Times and habits have changed and we are sad to announce that the Catster community will be closing down on July 20, 2019.

Catster magazine, www.catster.com and the associated social media sites are NOT shutting down. We encourage you to continue reading the content found in the pages of the magazine and the web sites, commenting through the mechanisms provided and sharing your ideas and comments with us and your fellow readers.

Instructions for accessing pet profiles were shared with everyone in 2017. The instructions can be found elsewhere within the forum. AFTER JULY 20TH, YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO ACCESS THIS CONTENT. And, effective immediately, we are no longer able to answer questions about the community.

Thank you for your support and we look forward to serving you through our magazine and website.

Cheers,
Catster

Buckle up Kitties

Lindsay RoweLindsay Rowe ArcticMember Posts: 1,776
edited 2 December, 2006 in Plus Informational
Hi kitties, mom was in her first ever fender-bender last night and wanted to pass along a safety tip to all of you. Be sure to buckle up if you are riding in the car. Mom always loops the seatbelt through the handle of our carriers. The reason for this is because in collisions often there is damage from things flying around inside the car. Not only could an airborne cat carrier knock a human unconscious but it could knock a kitty right through the windshield. If you're buckeled in, you'll only go as far as the seatbelt will allow. The same is true for your canine sisters and brothers. Pets can get whiplash just like humans, however they are much harder to treat(or even diagnose). Be careful out there, there's a lot of crazy drivers.

Comments

• Lindsay RoweLindsay Rowe ArcticMember Posts: 1,776
    edited 26 November, 2006
    Just wanted to add that this applies to every time you are in a car. Last night mom was only a few miles from home, stopped at a red light, when a car went crashing into her! Now she's in a lot of pain and had to go to urgent care this morning and has another MD appointment next week. Thankfully Lucy and I weren't with her, but she did wonder what could've happened if we had been...Insurance doesn't pay for cats.
  • Diana GabaldonDiana Gabaldon PortlandMember Posts: 5,607
    edited 26 November, 2006
    Lucy & Zori, I am so sorry that your mom got into an accident and isn't feeling well. We will purr for her to feel better soon. Thank you for reminding us about buckling up and securing carriers. Purrrrrrrring for your mom.
  • Karen BrockKaren Brock TorontoMember Posts: 5,152
    edited 26 November, 2006
    Purrring for your mom Zorilla and Lucy. We hope she feels better soon.
  • Niki MattsonNiki Mattson St. PaulMember Posts: 20,360
    edited 26 November, 2006
    Good idea Lucy! Mommy never has buckled me in, cuz when we go to the vet, or to Grandma's, we're in Grandma's car, and I'm in the backseat. But one time I did go sliding all over the backseat, and it was scary, and it would be much scarier to go flying through a window or something. So sorry to hear about your human Zorilla. Kitties, tell your humans to be especially careful now. During the holidays there can be more traffic accidents. Thank goodness Mommy can't drive! But there can be ice, snow, people in a hurry and not paying attention, talking on cell phones while driving (ooh! that makes Mommy crazy!) There are alot of crazy drivers out there, and people that were never meant to be behind the wheel!
    edited 26 November, 2006
    Thanks everycat for your responses. Mom has whiplash and has spent much of the past 24 hours lying on ice. She's also been on the phone with the insurance company-turns out the other driver isn't insured! Grrrr.... She's thankful Lucy or I wasn't with her, can you imagine being thrust back and forth in a car and being hit in the head with a cat carrier? *shudder*
  • edited 26 November, 2006
    Thanks for the reminder on this important safety issue! I really hope your mom is on the mend. Purrrrrring for her. My CT never thought much about this, but had a brainwave once (yay!) and now she always puts a seat belt through the carrier straps or around it somehow. It takes an extra minute, humans, but think what you could lose!
  • Toffy_VanessaToffy_Vanessa Member Posts: 4,074 ✭✭
    edited 27 November, 2006
    Your poor mom, Lucy and Zorilla! I'll be purring for her. Thanks for the good advice.
  • Penny PerkinsPenny Perkins Member Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭
    edited 29 November, 2006
    I also agree to ALWAYS put the seat belt around the carrier. I was in a Jeep when we hit a deer on the expressway. Thankfully nobody was hurt including me. I was in my carrier and belted in, I don\'t even want to think what would have happened to me if I was not belted in, we were all unharmed except for the deer and the Jeep.
  • yoshidaeriyoshidaeri Member Posts: 35
    edited 30 November, 2006
    This is good information, I will be sure to pass it on to mama. A car accident curse must be going around, my mama was in her first-ever car accident yesterday as well. Thankfully no one was hurt, and both vehicle's were able to drive away, and mama's insurance is going to pay for the repair's on the other car, but the damage on mama's car is going to cost more to repair than the car ittself is worth, so she's going to have to get a new (used)car.
  • Niki MattsonNiki Mattson St. PaulMember Posts: 20,360
    edited 30 November, 2006
    Ooh, I'm sorry Ariana! Hope your Mommy is okay. But. like I said, this time of year is so dangerous! Everybody's in a hurry to get their shopping done, or they're talking on cell phones, trying to multi-task while driving, not looking where they're going. Pretty scary. Two days in a row this week Mommy and her ride service were held up on the freeway because of accidents. Not ours, somebody else's. Be careful!
  • Michelle BrunnerMichelle Brunner BlairsvilleMember Posts: 11,194
    edited 30 November, 2006
    I'm so sorry to hear about the accidents that have happened. I hope everyone is feeling better. Mom tries to remember to buckle up when she gets in the car. It's a law in our state that you do, but it's so easy to jump in and forget. However, when mom takes me anywhere she always buckles me in. Family and neighbors laugh at her because she is so overprotective of me. But it really upsets mom to see cats and dogs loose in a car. Yes it looks adorable, but if there was an accident, so many things could go wrong. Thank you for this information though. We all need to be reminded of it.
    edited 30 November, 2006
    Ariana, we hope everything is alright with your mom. Purrs for you both
  • Elizabeth KElizabeth K ChicagoMember Posts: 11,036
    edited 2 December, 2006
    Yes it really upsets my mom to see loose pets in the car too! SO many people don't buckle up their dogs especially...don't they realize what happens in an accident? That pet will go flying if they an unrestrained and they can smash through the windows, hit other objects or parts of the car or even hit the people in the car with THOUSANDS of pound of force!