Kitty is peeing and drinking ALOT of water!

Carol ScottCarol Scott PrincetonMember Posts: 3
edited 6 February, 2010 in Cat Health
Hey everyone.....my 16 yr old cat is recently been drinking and peeing excessively.. Has anyone else had this problem with their kitty?? Is it feline diabetes?? She is very old and handicapped and I'm juist wondering if its her time to go soon....:( i would love to hear form anyone whose cat has had this and what was done about it??

Comments

• allie marinoallie marino Member Posts: 2
    edited 26 January, 2010
    I've never experienced this in a cat, but my dog had this problem a few years ago. After many trips to the vet and tests we found out that he was diabetic. He has to get an insulin shot twice a day after he eats, and when he drinks and pees more than normal we know it's time for a visit to his vet because his blood sugar levels are elevated. Definitely check with your vet asap to see what's going on with your feline friend.
  • BambergcatBambergcat Member Posts: 838 ✭✭✭
    edited 26 January, 2010
    Yep! It can be two things- hypothyroidism or diabetes. My first cat had both. Niether one was not manageable. He had the thyroid problem when he was eleven and diabtes when he was thirteen. It was cancer at almost sixteen that gave him his wings. It is time for a vet check. He maybe loosing weight too. Go to Felinediabetes.com board for advice. I will be glad to help out but please have it check out first. The diabetes was a quick shot in the morning and one at night. It is faster than any pill was. The hypo was treated with radiation but they have pills for it, just one a day. Please check it out soon.....
  • Christina WahlChristina Wahl Member Posts: 164
    edited 26 January, 2010
    Please take kitty to vet to get checked out for diabetes. My kitty did this and sure enough he had it. If you find out and need more help post in forums. We have a bunch of people whom have also been threw it and are going threw this now so they would be able to help with more advice once you know what is going on. Good luck.
  • Dawn HarmanDawn Harman SpeedwellMember Posts: 1,079
    edited 27 January, 2010
    I agree.. my Sister's cat was doing the same thing and he went to vet and was told he has diabetes. I do not know what she is doing for him as it was just last week. Good luck and please keep us all informed. head butts and purrs!
  • Carol ScottCarol Scott PrincetonMember Posts: 3
    edited 27 January, 2010
    Thanks everyone for the advice, she is definitely going to the vets to have it checked out. It came on so suddenly or maybe it didnt and i just didnt notice it? who knows.. she is my oldest kitty, i have six more in our big ole farm house (2 pure white ones and another 2 white ones with ear patches of grey!! ) but this kitty ive had since my hubby and I first met so it would be tuff to see her go. Shes also handicapped, kicked by a cow when she was just 2, broke her hip and they couldnt fix it, so shes limped her whole life, poor thing!! anyways thanks again i will let u all know how we make out!!
  • Kat WhickerKat Whicker ToledoMember Posts: 1,695
    edited 27 January, 2010
    the other catsters are right. If kitty was on a dry food diet, her body may be unable to deal with the high amouts of carbs/sugar and caused unbalance. but the good news is, once you know what the issue is you can fix it
  • Beastie_and_the_BoysBeastie_and_the_Boys Marquette, MI / ChicagoMember Posts: 17,806 ✭✭✭
    edited 27 January, 2010
    At the age of 16, it's very possible that she could be suffering from chronic renal failure (CRF). Excessive thirst and urination are often the first obvious symptoms. Here is a website with some information on CRF: http://www.felinecrf.com/what0.htm Sending purrs, Kitty! Keep us posted! |:|
  • Greg AllenGreg Allen FortValley GAMember Posts: 19
    edited 2 February, 2010
    With a 16yr old cat my best guess is it\'s his/her kidneys. The Number 1 disease older cats get afflicted with is Renal kidney failure! You need to take your cat to the vet and get complete blood work done to check what the levels are. The results will tell you for sure whats going on with your kitty and your vet will prob change your cats diet. Unfortunately kidney failure is irreversible, but there are things you can do to make your kitty more comfortable.. I would take your kitty to the vet right away.. I would not wait. Wishing you and your kitty the Best of luck !!
  • andee clarkandee clark Member Posts: 16
    edited 2 February, 2010
    my cat exeprienced that and she was only 10 but it turned out to be kidney failure so i would defintely get your cats blood work checked for that not saying thats what it is but its better to be safe than sorry.
  • Lisa DaversLisa Davers SacramentoMember Posts: 3,642
    edited 2 February, 2010
    You vet should be able to do a blood test that will check for both diabetes and kidney disease plus other common senior cat illnesses like hyperthyroidism. Because it came on quickly and she is drinking so much my guess would be diabetes as that can come on fast and makes you really really thirsty. If it is diabetes that would be good news as with food changes (wet/low carb) and insulin shots it is fairly easy to control and she could have many more years ahead of her. You can also get a glucose monitor and strips and test her blood sugar at home which helps monitor how well controlled the diabetes is and also saves on the number of vet trips.
  • Sharon MurphySharon Murphy SurreyMember Posts: 1,652
    edited 3 February, 2010
    As others have stated, it's very likely CRF, a VERY common older kitty ailment. Alaidh was diagnosed when she was 16 and lived to be 20, so it is definitely manageable. Good luck!
  • Shana SteppShana Stepp Member Posts: 118
    edited 6 February, 2010
    I've done a lot of research recently on cat food and I learned that the cheaper, commercial dry cat foods make your cats way more suceptible to diabetes. One reason is the high content of carbs like wheat, corn and gluten. Cats cannot properly digest those ingredients. Cat food companies put them in the food as filler because it's cheaper to produce. Not good for our kitties though. Instead look for a dry cat food (or better yet, wet) that has none of those ingredients in it. fyi, wet food is better for a cat because of it's high water content (cats tend to get dehydrated easily, especially when on dry food exclusively) and because it is easier to digest. I switched my cats to Blue Buffalo (it's not much more in cost than the Iams they were getting before) and they seem to be doing great on it (and they LOVE the taste much more than they did the Iams) Good luck with your kitty!
  • Lois HollanLois Hollan Washington, DCMember Posts: 16
    edited 6 February, 2010
    Yes, that happened to my cat Panda at about the same age. It was a kidney problem and sometimes you have to hydrate them. The vet will check. Good luck!