salt lake county animal services is giving cats over 6 months out for free!!

Kylie DennisKylie Dennis TooeleMember Posts: 1,805
edited 10 March, 2010 in Kitten Corner
salt lake county animal services in utah is adopting cats over 6 months for free. i think this is a HORRIBLE idea, you never know what kind of physco's are out there, all they have to do is fill out an adoption paper and take the cat home and abuse it or kill it.. ect. i guess there are SOME people out there that will treat the cat like a pet...but STILL, this is horrible!! i want to know other people opinions on this. ]:

Comments

• emma clarkeemma clarke Nottingham Robin Hood CountryMember Posts: 6,819
    edited 7 March, 2010
    Not a good idea at all! I just hope they're stringently vetting homes and not giving them away to ANYBODY:-/
  • janice lancasterjanice lancaster temple gaMember Posts: 2,505
    edited 9 March, 2010
    I purrsonally think it's a great idea, as long as they still require proof of spaying and neutering. And I am sure you still have to fill out all the paperwork, etc, just as if you were paying. They aren't going to just hand you a cat and say goodbye. After all, look many of these older kitties would end up euthanized; taking away the fee might make at least some people who are there looking for a kitten go at least look at the bigger cats. I don't think that no fee means horrible people are going to suddenly decide they need a cat. And paying a fee does not mean the animal will be taken care of. Some people pay tons of money for purebred cats (and dogs, horses, whatever) and still end up treating them horribly. Besides which, if "psychos", "just anybody", and any other weirdos can get a cat free, what's to stop them from paying the fee and getting it? Nothing, that's what. What's in a person's wallet does not make them good or evil, thank God! In my experience, tha rich person whoi doesn't care about their animals will starve them or make them go without care a lot faster than those of us with less money who really love our pets. Just read the threads around here!
  • Heather StanfordHeather Stanford Member Posts: 1,308
    edited 9 March, 2010
    I agree with BooBoo. I think that people who would normaly over look an older cat will actualy look into them now. I am sure they will do the same application and see if the family/person is fit for a cat or not.
  • emma clarkeemma clarke Nottingham Robin Hood CountryMember Posts: 6,819
    edited 10 March, 2010
    Sadly, sometimes people will take something that's offered 'for free' for the wrong reasons and on impulse. Sometimes when these kind of people don't have to pay for a cat or dog, the animal has less 'value' to them and is more likely to end up abandoned, neglected or abused. This is why I hope they are strictly vetting potential new owners to make sure they've carefully considered what taking on a new cat involves. Why would any reasonable person not want to make a donation anyway, if they understand the costs the rescue has incurred in looking after that pet for a short time and the costs involved in caring for a pet.
  • Lilly KoonsLilly Koons LouisvilleMember Posts: 159
    edited 10 March, 2010
    Our local humane society does that too, but its just the adoption fee is waived they still have license and microchip fees to pay. All and all it still runs around to about 30 bucks with small extra fees included. So they say free but really then mean 20-30 dollars. Which is still a lot less and something someone would consider when living on a fixed income or a small budget.