Dear Catster reader,

Almost two years ago, we invested numerous resources and rebuilt the Catster community. With new hardware, software and personnel, we did our best to satisfy the many users who shared their thoughts, pictures, questions, and love for and of their pets with us and friends. It was a thriving community with many users. We hoped, however, there would be more like you.

Times and habits have changed and we are sad to announce that the Catster community will be closing down on July 20, 2019.

Catster magazine, www.catster.com and the associated social media sites are NOT shutting down. We encourage you to continue reading the content found in the pages of the magazine and the web sites, commenting through the mechanisms provided and sharing your ideas and comments with us and your fellow readers.

Instructions for accessing pet profiles were shared with everyone in 2017. The instructions can be found elsewhere within the forum. AFTER JULY 20TH, YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO ACCESS THIS CONTENT. And, effective immediately, we are no longer able to answer questions about the community.

Thank you for your support and we look forward to serving you through our magazine and website.

Cheers,
Catster

One More Question

Rhonda ColemanRhonda Coleman Member Posts: 191
edited 17 March, 2010 in Food & Nutrition
OK, we (that\'s me and mom) are starting to get this food thing down and we have one more question! I weighed 16 lbs and 14 oz at my last vet visit 2 weeks ago. I\'m a big boy - 36\" from nose to tail tip (you should see my feet!). I\'m not very active right now because of all the snow. When the weather is nice dad takes me outside where I walk around our yard for 45 minutes or more. OK, so sometimes I lay down more than I walk, but I try!! Does anyone know how many ounces of canned food I should be eating per day in order to lose weight safely? As soon as mom finds a good place to buy some better canned food we will go to that, and then hopefully switch to the raw. But for now, I eat Friskies. Please help - I think she is trying to STARVE me to death!

Comments

• Tina BTina B Vancouver IslandMember Posts: 2,238
    edited 15 March, 2010
    That all depends on the calorie content, what size can do you have, and does it say on the can how many calories are in it? I can check online to see how many calories are in the type of food you feed if its not on the can, so size and flavour? Purrs Shadow :)
  • Rhonda ColemanRhonda Coleman Member Posts: 191
    edited 15 March, 2010
    Thanks for all the help you guys! Cats are GREAT people aren\'t we?? ;c; The cans of Friskies that I eat are all 5.5 oz. Mom mostly buys the \"prime filets,\" and the \"flaked.\" I don\'t care for \"pate\" and she thinks the \"shreds\" are more gravy than food - turns out, they aren\'t much FOOD either!! Have a PURRfect day! :-h
  • Rebecca NowakRebecca Nowak Orange County, NYMember Posts: 1,397
    edited 15 March, 2010
    Hi again Shadrach. Check out this chart for info on the nutritional make up, including calories, of various canned foods (Janet and Binky\'s): http://binkyspage.tripod.com/canfood.html Hope that helps! Purrs, Shade
    edited 15 March, 2010
    The Friskies different flavours have so many different calorie contents, so the site that Shade just posted you must check out. Thanks Shade for the link, I could not find it in my bookmarks, I switched over to Firefox now so things are a little confusing.
    edited 15 March, 2010
    this is seriously weird! we\'ve tried to post 3 times and keep getting a \"keep it G-rated\" message??? What\'s up with that?
    edited 15 March, 2010
    OK, figured it out! "They" didn't like me mentioning that human diet program that counts points - wonder why?? Anyway, now that we have the list (printed it out from Janet & Binky's), and know the appx calories in my cans, we still don't know how many of them I should eat each day to maintain or lose weight. Dad thinks mom is KILLING me because I meow at him all the time that I want my Kitty Crack back - he thinks I want food!! So, he is sure mom is starving me to death - of course, who am I to tell him differently??? Help save our family!!
  • Paula K-Paula K- New YorkMember Posts: 2,244
    edited 16 March, 2010
    There's a formula to figure out how many calories you should have based on your ideal weight. Shadow might be able to help with the exact formula?
    edited 16 March, 2010
    If you are 16lbs aim for 14 lbs,. Maine coons if that is for certain what breed you are? are big cats, so 14 lbs is fine. So formula for this would be 14 x 13.6 plus 70 equals the amount of calories you need in a day. (260 calories)
  • Paula K-Paula K- New YorkMember Posts: 2,244
    edited 17 March, 2010
    I knew Shadow would have it! Thanks Shadow!! ;c;