Dear Catster reader,

Almost two years ago, we invested numerous resources and rebuilt the Catster community. With new hardware, software and personnel, we did our best to satisfy the many users who shared their thoughts, pictures, questions, and love for and of their pets with us and friends. It was a thriving community with many users. We hoped, however, there would be more like you.

Times and habits have changed and we are sad to announce that the Catster community will be closing down on July 20, 2019.

Catster magazine, www.catster.com and the associated social media sites are NOT shutting down. We encourage you to continue reading the content found in the pages of the magazine and the web sites, commenting through the mechanisms provided and sharing your ideas and comments with us and your fellow readers.

Instructions for accessing pet profiles were shared with everyone in 2017. The instructions can be found elsewhere within the forum. AFTER JULY 20TH, YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO ACCESS THIS CONTENT. And, effective immediately, we are no longer able to answer questions about the community.

Thank you for your support and we look forward to serving you through our magazine and website.

Cheers,
Catster

Larger Cans?

Heather ThompsonHeather Thompson BountifulMember Posts: 3,652
edited 18 March, 2010 in Food & Nutrition
Does anyone know of a 'premium' canned food that comes in larger cans than the 5.5oz? So like the 13-15oz cans? Right now mommy is using 3-4 of the 5.5oz cans per day, and if possible would like to use just 1 large can per day and store in the fridge, or is this not okay? It would be in the fridge for about 12 hours covered of course. Mom was just thinking it would be easier this way.

Comments

• Jordan SpivaJordan Spiva Los Angeles,CAMember Posts: 355
    edited 17 March, 2010
    yes it's fine. With only one mouth to feed, I cannot possibly get through one 13 ounce can in the 2 days it reccomends it stay refridgerated.
  • Tina BTina B Vancouver IslandMember Posts: 2,238
    edited 18 March, 2010
    Munchie we feed the 12.5 or 13.2 oz. cans here. It seems to be cheaper that way, and when we buy a case we get a discount :) We buy the Wellness grain free, Evo 95%, Evo cat andkitten, and Felidae grain free all large cans. I believe that Natures Variey dog food has the same exact ingredients, right down to the Taurine, and you can buy the big cans of those, Ive heard of some people doing this.:? Oh and yes its fine to store in fridge, we put it in a glass jar though, we dont leave it in the can, even though the whole can gets eaten in that day.
  • Rebecca NowakRebecca Nowak Orange County, NYMember Posts: 1,397
    edited 18 March, 2010
    We also buy the large cans of EVO 95% and EVO Cat & Kitten. I am one of the people the buys the large NV Instincts cans for dogs. If you compare the ingredients between the cat & dog Instincts they are exactly the same. I believe someone posted once that the dog food has a tiny bit more veggies than the cat, but it isn'at at all obvious by looking at the product. You'll save a lot of money buying those larger cans. I always move leftovers into a plastic or glass container for storage. I've read various reasons why it is not healthy to store left-over canned food in it's original container, such as transfer of the metal to the food upon long term air-exposure. I'm not sure if this is still true since most of today's cans are lined with plastic, but I don't take the chance. Also, if like me you don't have time to let the food sit out to warm up on it's own before serving, you can stick the glass/safe platic container in the microwave for 8 - 10 seconds to warm it up. If you go with the microwave method though, make absolutely sure you stir the meat really well so that there are no hot spots and also don't serve it if it is too warm. Purrs, Shade
  • Lacey KingstonLacey Kingston WilmingtonMember Posts: 7,527
    edited 18 March, 2010
    We buy the large cans of California Naturals venison. The kitties love it and it's a fraction of what we were paying for the small cans.