Salmon Oil in foods

Heather ThompsonHeather Thompson BountifulMember Posts: 3,652
edited 18 March, 2010 in Food & Nutrition
If a canned food has Salmon Oil in it is that considered feeding the cat fish? Meaning it should not be fed more than once a week? What about if the food has fish in it but like 10 ingredients in? Had a customer ask me these questions today and I told her I'd research.

Comments

• Rebecca NowakRebecca Nowak Orange County, NYMember Posts: 1,397
    edited 18 March, 2010
    No, that would not be considered feeding a fish-based food. You would have to look pretty hard to find a food that doesn\'t have some kind of fish oil/fish as an ingredient. What you don\'t want to feed too often is a food where the main ingredients are fish. You can read this as one reference if you like: http://www.felinefuture.com/?p=599 Purrs, Shade
  • Heather ThompsonHeather Thompson BountifulMember Posts: 3,652
    edited 18 March, 2010
    So would the 'main' ingredients be like the first 5 or 6 ingredients on the food? So if it's further down the line it wouldn't be considered feeding the cat fish? Just want to make sure I tell her right.
  • Tina BTina B Vancouver IslandMember Posts: 2,238
    edited 18 March, 2010
    The first 3 or 4 ingredients are the main ones. If a cat is allergic to fish then you do not want to be giving Salmon oil to the cat. It is best to have a good rotation of different foods, so then you dont have to worry about the fish content (for urinary isssues), etc. So trying to find one that contains no fish, and then find one that doesnt.