Dear Catster reader,

Almost two years ago, we invested numerous resources and rebuilt the Catster community. With new hardware, software and personnel, we did our best to satisfy the many users who shared their thoughts, pictures, questions, and love for and of their pets with us and friends. It was a thriving community with many users. We hoped, however, there would be more like you.

Times and habits have changed and we are sad to announce that the Catster community will be closing down on July 20, 2019.

Catster magazine, www.catster.com and the associated social media sites are NOT shutting down. We encourage you to continue reading the content found in the pages of the magazine and the web sites, commenting through the mechanisms provided and sharing your ideas and comments with us and your fellow readers.

Instructions for accessing pet profiles were shared with everyone in 2017. The instructions can be found elsewhere within the forum. AFTER JULY 20TH, YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO ACCESS THIS CONTENT. And, effective immediately, we are no longer able to answer questions about the community.

Thank you for your support and we look forward to serving you through our magazine and website.

Cheers,
Catster

\\\"Senior\\\" cat food formulas

Stephanie JohnsonStephanie Johnson Member Posts: 556
edited 21 March, 2010 in Food & Nutrition
Isabelle is technically a \"senior\" kitty at almost 10 years old :-O and I wondered if there is any reason to feed her a senior formula food? She currently eats dry TOTW, Orijen, and Halo plus wet. Is the main difference with senior formulas just the fat content or are there actually different vitamins/minerals that older cats need?

Comments

• Josie NoeckerJosie Noecker Member Posts: 41
    edited 20 March, 2010
    I think the biggest push about Senior Formulas is that it is thought senior cats need less proteinn and overall, less calories. Older cats tend to not be as active (for a variety of reasons) so the foods are less calorie dense and have lower levels of protein. Really, if the diet you feed is balanced and of quality, you most likely only need to adjust the feeding amounts. If your kitty is active, healthy, and shows no signs of illness, etc. I would guess you are probably doing just fine. Like with kitten formulas; mainly it is said kittens need higher amounts of calories and protein. If you start off with a quality moist food or moist and good-quality dry...really you should only need to adjust the amounts the kitten is fed. A lot of companies (I think) like to push the 'life stages' foods simply because it gives them more opportunity for making sales. Heck, I bought into it! Think of it this way; if you feed a home-cooked or raw diet, all you would probably need to do is adjust the vitamins a bit and the serving sizes. You still feed the same 'formula' you just tweek it slightly. :)
  • Kat WhickerKat Whicker ToledoMember Posts: 1,695
    edited 20 March, 2010
    i do not beleve in senior cat food personally. cats of all ages need generious amounts of protein. ideally, all adult cats should get a low carb- high protein diet. for an inactive cat i would be feeding one can of cat food a day, split into two meals. more or less depending. dry food fed cats really dont need alot. 1/4 cup twice a day, sometimes less. the saying that older cats need less protein is totally false. cats do not ajust there protein intake, even when sick. they need the same amount constantly once there adults. kittens need even more to aid in growth.
  • Tina BTina B Vancouver IslandMember Posts: 2,238
    edited 20 March, 2010
    Bella Mae summed it up well, Life stage cat food is really a fallacy. If you think about it like this, kittens, cats, senior cats in the wild all eat the same thing , like mice, birds , etc. They dont stop eating certain things once they are older. All it is is when a kitten eats it needs more calories, so it eats more. A senior cat would just eat less. Pet food companies make all these up just for profit. If you are feeding a high protein diet already, then you just have to adjust the feeding amount to smaller amounts.
  • Stephanie JohnsonStephanie Johnson Member Posts: 556
    edited 21 March, 2010
    That\'s what I suspected. She\'s eating fairly high protein dry (only about 1/4 cup) and about 3 oz of wet a day. Plus treats, but they are pure chicken so not too worried about those. I\'ll just have to keep an eye on her weight and reduce her dry food if needed. Thanks!