What do you think about this canadian cat food? (details inside)

aditya Ikhsanaditya Ikhsan Member Posts: 15
edited 21 March, 2010 in Food & Nutrition
I found this cat food which is pretty cheap. It says it's holistic and made in canada. What do u think? ProSeries Holistic Kitten was developed to meet the specialized nutritional requirements of growing and active kittens. It is also recommended for pregnant or nursing adult cats. Emphasis is given to digestive sensitivity, skeletal and heart health, hairball relief and urinary tract health. * No corn, wheat or soy * Urinary tract health * Hairball control * High quality chicken and fish as top meat protein sources * Promotes healthy skin and coat (Omega 3's and 6's) * Promotes daily oral care * 34% protein and 20% fat for growing, active kittens Available in 3.5kg (7.7lb) bag only GUARANTEED ANALYSIS: Protein (min.) 34.00% Fat (min.) 20.00% Fibre (max.) 6.50% Moisture (max.) 10.00% Ash (max.) 7.50% Magnesium (max.) 0.10% Taurine (min.) 0.10% *Omega-3 (min.) 0.25% *Omega-6 (min.) 2.50% *Glucosamine (min.) 305 ppm *Chondroitin (min.) 250 ppm * not recognized as an essential nutrient by the AAFCO Cat Food Nutrient Profiles CALORIE CONTENT: Metabolizable Energy (ME) = 3736 kcal/kg FEEDING GUIDELINES: Age of Kitten Weight of Kitten (lbs) Grams/Day Cup(s)*/Day Weaning to 4 Months 1 - 3 40 - 90 1/4 - 3/5 4 to 12 Months 3 - 6.5 90 - 150 3/5 - 1 1/4 * 1 cup (250 ml - 8 oz) = approximately 130 grams INGREDIENTS: Chicken Meal, Whole Oats, Whole Brown Rice, Chicken Fat preserved with Mixed Tocopherols (source of Vitamin E), Fish Meal (Herring & Anchovy), Dried Whole Eggs, Dried Brewers Yeast, Kelp Meal, Fish Oil (Herring - natural source of DHA and EPA), Dried Cranberries, Dried Blueberries, Dried Green Peas, Dried Rosemary, Dried Tomato Pomace, Dried Fennel, Safflower Oil, Mint Leaves, Ground Sage, Ground Ginger, DiCalcium Phosphate, Potassium Chloride, L-Lysine Hydrochloride, Methionine, Taurine, Choline Chloride, Calcium Proprionate, Whole Flaxseed, Yucca Schidigera Extract, Iron Sulfate, Zinc Sulfate, D-Alpha Tocopheryl Acetate, Niacin Supplement, Copper Sulfate, Manganese Sulfate, Vitamin A Acetate, Sodium Selenite, Calcium Pantothenate, Vitamin B-12 Supplement, Thiamine Mononitrate, Menadione Sodium Bisulfite Complex (Source Of Vitamin K Activity), Biotin, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Chondroitin Sulfate, Glucosamine Hydrochloride, Riboflavin, Calcium Iodate, Vitamin D-3 Supplement, Cobalt Carbonate, Folic Acid. http://www.proseriespet.ca/en/home

Comments

• Josie NoeckerJosie Noecker Member Posts: 41
    edited 20 March, 2010
    I say it is 'so-so'...seems better than the cheapest foods, but it could be better. It has no actual meat in the food; just 'chicken meal'. Granted you know what animal meal it is (with meals it is better to be specific). The thing that gets me...Oats being the second ingredient. Granted I feed Bella Mae Wellness Indoor (which does has oat fiber)...she is not fed kibble as a meal; only as a snack. It gets rotated with Indigo Moon also. Her diet consists of grain-free wet foods. If you are feeding a mostly wet food diet and want a food as a 'snack'...then I think this would be an 'ok' food. If this were to be a food for your cat's main diet; I'd go with something that has meat for at least the first 2 ingredients, not a meat meal. Higher protein/grain free is a better option for kibble foods, and likely the investment will be cheaper in the long run! :) Less 'fillers' and the like will equal to more food being digested. A better quality food will fill kitty up better, so the food consumed is what is needed vs. over-eating and 'wasting' its food.
  • Tina BTina B Vancouver IslandMember Posts: 2,238
    edited 20 March, 2010
    First three ingredients should be meat, not oats or Rice, then they have to add blueberries and cranberries. :? So in our opinion its not a good food, maybe if you have a pet rabbit it would be ok though.:D
  • aditya Ikhsanaditya Ikhsan Member Posts: 15
    edited 20 March, 2010
    well i'm on a budget here so it's impossible to buy food that has meat for the first three ingredients :)) and there's so little options of cat food in my area. the available brands in my budget range is either this canadian brand or the likes of pro plan and iams :((
  • Josie NoeckerJosie Noecker Member Posts: 41
    edited 20 March, 2010
    Hmm...that does pose an issue. (ponderponder) Would you have any funds at all to invest in grain-free canned foods to off-set the dry? If I were put in a position such as this and making my own food wasn't an option; I would probably get the bag of food you described (as I'm not a fan of the chemicals in the others) and feed it for one meal and moist for the other meal. Even less expensive moist foods are better than no moist at all. Cats need meat-based protien. If you can only afford dry, and no canned food at all; get this and start saving for a better quality bag. Seriously, a better quality of dry will last you a lot longer...and better food means better health. I would suggest looking into a case price of a wet food; find one without gluten in your area (not sure what brands are available to you; pet stores might be able to special order a case for you, internet, food co-ops)...usually places give you a good price if you purchase a whole case. (which ranges between 12-24 cans depending on the brand of food, size, etc.
    edited 20 March, 2010
    canned food is not an option either since it's much more expensive than dry food :( i'll just stick with what's affordable and hope for the best. maybe i should mention that i live in indonesia, a third-world/developing country. so premium cat food is a very expensive and rare thing here.
    edited 20 March, 2010
    I would go with the proplan then if that is your only option.
    edited 20 March, 2010
    proplan? what's its advantage to proseries? it contains much corn and some wheat :-k
  • Jennifer SzucsJennifer Szucs ChathamMember Posts: 3,765
    edited 20 March, 2010
    Looking at the pro plan there is more meat in the food your interested in actually. Yes the pro plan has a higher percent of protein but thats for sure not from all meat. As the first ingredient is brewers rice then corn gluten. Chicken is first but that contains water as it isnt a meal therefore its further down in the list. If this food is all you can afford I do believe you can do alot worse like pro plan for instance. The only reason I wouldnt feed it though is that it contains menadione. And I dont feed anything with this in it. Everything else looks alright but the menadione is a huge no no to me.
    edited 20 March, 2010
    Sorry I didnt even look at the ingredients of the proplan, I thought that it contained more potein than that:-O My bad, I should not post when im in a rush.
    edited 21 March, 2010
    thanks, snowflake for the info about menadione. but it's far down the list though i hope it's ok..
    edited 21 March, 2010
    guys, i found an interesting alternative. what do you think about this? is it better? http://www.nutrisourcedogfood.com/nutrisource/products/cat Ingredients: Chicken, white rice, chicken meal, corn gluten meal, chicken fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols and citric acid), beet pulp, brown rice, tuna meal, natural liver flavor, flax seeds, oat fiber, brewers yeast, alfalfa meal, tomato pomace, dried egg product, potassium chloride, sunflower oil, salt, phosphoric acid, proteinated minerals (iron proteinate, zinc proteinate, copper proteinate, manganese proteinate, cobalt proteinate), choline chloride, cranberry powder, yeast culture (saccharomyces cerevisiae, enterococcus faecium, lactobacillus acidophilus, aspergillus niger, trichoderma longibrachiatum, bacillus subtillis), taurine, minerals (ferrous sulfate, zinc sulfate, calcium carbonate, zinc oxide, copper sulfate, manganous oxide, sodium selenite, mineral oil, calcium iodate, cobalt carbonate), chicory extract, vitamins (vitamin A acetate, vitamin D3 supplement, vitamin E supplement, niacin, pantothenic acid, thiamine mononitrate, riboflavin supplement, pyridoxine hydrochloride, folic acid, menadione sodium bisulfite complex (source of vitamin K activity), biotin, vitamin B12 supplement), ascorbic acid (vitamin C), inositol, yucca schidigera extract, rosemary extract.
    edited 21 March, 2010
    percentage: Crude Protein (Min.) 33.0% 330 g/kg Crude Fat (Min.) 19.0% 190 g/kg Crude Fiber (Max.) 3.5% 35 g/kg Moisture (Max.) 10.0% 100 g/kg Ash (Min.) 7.0% 70 g/kg Magnesium (Min.) 0.08 mg/kg 0.8 mg/kg Vitamin E (Min.) 250 IU/kg 250 IU/kg *Ascorbic Acid (Min) 100 mg/kg 100 mg/kg Taurine (Min) 0.18% 1.8 g/kg Zinc (Min) 200 mg/kg 200 mg/kg *Linoleic Acid (Min) 4.10 % 41 g/kg *Docosahexaenoic Acid (DHA) (Min) 0.05% .5 mg/kg *Lactobacillus Acidophilus (Min) 50 million CFU/lb 50 million CFU/lb *Enterococcus Faecium (Min) 35 million CFU/lb 35 million CFU/lb *Saccharomyces Cerevisiae (Min) 900 million cells/lb 900 million cells/lb. it doesn\'t seem to contain omega-3 though. what do u think? how about mixing both 50-50?
    edited 21 March, 2010
    Menadione is always far in the ingredient list as its a type of vitamin and vitamins are always listed near the end.http://www.dogfoodproject.com/index.php?page=menadione Instead of me explaining all the bad things about it it states all of them here and what exactly it is. Its been band in human foods for a reason and alot of foods took it out but for some reason some pet foods still use it. I know the link is from a site about dog food but it does the same for cats... ETA: Im not sure what you can get in your area but if all you can feed is kibble and it must be lower price range do you have a costco? If you do Id buy kirkland cat food. Its really good for the price. My mom feeds the barn cats this now and I can not believe the difference in them. They look so much better. Its a big bag for 12 or 14 bucks anyways! Healthwise not as cheap but still pretty cheap. Its alright especially on a budget. Diamond naturals is good if you dont have a costco its fairly similar in ingredients. Taste of the wild is the best as it is grain free its cheap for grain free but may be a little more the you want to spend. There is more but I cant think of any at the moment.
    edited 21 March, 2010
    unfortunately none of them are available :( wait, taste of the wild is, but it's rare and out of my budget anyway.
    edited 21 March, 2010
    Premium Edge?
    edited 21 March, 2010
    haha, no. really, if you come here you'll be shocked of how limited the options are.