\\\"okay\\\" wet foods to feed from grocery stores??

Kylie DennisKylie Dennis TooeleMember Posts: 1,805
edited 22 March, 2010 in Food & Nutrition
i have heard that most types of wet cat food are a whole lot better then dry food and they have more meat. i\'m on a very cheap budget. petsmart is where i usually buy wet food or at the grocery store, like walmart smiths or fresh market (formerly; albertsons) so down to my question; which wet food can i get from a grocery store that is pretty cheap?? greenlee has a history of urine crystals. i have been buying friskies and/or iams and have made kindof like a \"cat soup\" by putting water in it. she seems to be going pee alot more so i think it is helping her urine crystals by basically drowing the wet food with water, i want to switch all my 3 cats over to wetfood. so down to my other question; how can i convince my mom and dad that wet food is better for all of them?? currently all of my family\'s cats are on that \"science diet CRAP prescription food\" since my mom and dad got that CRAP shoved down their throats by the vet that science diet presciption hard food will help all of the cats, they think it IS the best and i have been trying to convince them, but it is NOT working, i have been feeding them wet food along with the \"dry CRAP.\" any help with my 2 questions will be appreciated! thanks!! :)

Comments

• Heather ThompsonHeather Thompson BountifulMember Posts: 3,652
    edited 21 March, 2010
    Here is a list of wet foods only that are cheaper that do not contain gluten, note they are only certain flavours. (I got this from another post, but for the life of me I can't find it) Whiskas Savory Ground pate - Chicken dinner, Mealtime, Bits 0 beef, Turkey and Giblets,( not Whiskas in gravy) The savory ground is vegetable and grain free. 9 Lives - Chicken dinner, Chicken and Tuna dinner, Turkey dinner, Chicken & Seafood dinner, Liver &Bacon Dinner, Prime grill with Beef. Friskies- Supreme Supper, mixed grill, Country style dinner, Poultry platter, Turkey and Giblets dinner. Pro Plan- Adult Chicken& liver entree, adult Turkey & Giblets entree The following are Fancy Feast flavors contain NO wheat gluten and are below 10% carbs: * Tender Beef Feast (brown label color) * Tender Beef & Liver Feast (magenta) * Tender Beef & Chicken Feast (red) * Gourmet Chicken Feast (dark pink...be careful, this looks just like another chicken variety with gluten!) * Turkey & Giblets Feast (olive green) * Tender Liver & Chicken Feast (orange) * Chopped Grill Feast (kelly green) * Flaked Fish & Shrimp Feast (true blue) * Savory Salmon Feast (orange) * Flaked Ocean Fish Feast (pink) * Tuna and Oceanfish Feast in Aspic (teal label) *Remember that it is a good idea to limit serving fish to just a few times a week. (Fish contributes to bladder issues, so it is recommended to feed fish based (first 3-4 ingredients) only 1-2 times a week, this goes for dry food as well. Have you had your parents read the Cat Info site here: Cat Info Urinary Site That site even convinced my Veterinarian we needed to change our recommendations.
  • Heather ThompsonHeather Thompson BountifulMember Posts: 3,652
    edited 21 March, 2010
    Greenlee, here are a couple more links to help: Study on Carbohydrates contributing to crystal formation in cats c/d is 41% Carbohydrates! :-O Taken from their website here: Nutrient Analysis Hill's c/d Urinary Disorders in Dogs & Cats *Has a lot of great information on causes etc of urinary disorders.
  • Tina BTina B Vancouver IslandMember Posts: 2,238
    edited 22 March, 2010
    I see Mucnchie beat me to it with the list of lower quality wet foods :) The only thing I will say about this is if you are feeding a wet diet that has grains then one should supplement with Taurine, as there has been a study done that shows that if there is alot of grain in the food it depletes the taurine in canned food. Here is the link, click here Also you can show your parents the catinfo.org site that is a pretty easy site to read, and very educational. =;