Mamma not wanting to take care of her 10 day old kittens!

Heather StanfordHeather Stanford Member Posts: 1,308
edited 22 March, 2010 in Kitten Corner
We are taking care of my BIL cat (Trixy's sister) since before she had her kittens. I don't know if anyone remembers but I asked if her littler would have any calicos in it since her sister was a calico. Long story short the cat ended living with us since the other animals wouldn't leave her alone. Well, on 2/26 she had her kittens. She had them under my bed in this little kubby hole were a drawer would go. I put up a little fence at the foot of my bed so the dogs won't get there and bother her. So she has all of that room along the bed between the wall with her food and water right there. I changed her food to Blue Buffalo Spa Selects for Kittens. This is way better then what she was eating before. Ok so now to the problem. She had taken great care of those three little kittens great for the first week. She only got out of her area only to use the litter box. And when she did that she was quick about it. Her attitude has almost done a 360 once the kittens hit a week old. For the last three days she stays with them in the morning then is gone all day. Then comes back to them for about an hour right before we go to bed then is gone all night. She has always been an inside/outside cat. I have tried to keep her inside as much as I can but last night she got out when I came home from the kids doctor and out she ran. She spent the night outside and didn't come back until the morning. I slept on the couch so I could hear her straching at the door but nothing all night. I kept getting up and going outside calling her and nothing. When she came home she just walked insideate some food sat down for a while then went into were the kittens are at. I have looked threw the previous posts and found the suggested websites that many always list about kitten/queen care. Here is what I have done and figured out: 1. they should be eating more then twice a day like she is feeding them 2. I have clipped there nails thinking maybe she didn't like them scratching her. (easier said then done :-/) 3. changed the bedding 4. The kittens meow when you pick them up (a good sign I think) My hubby says some cats just aren't into the mother thing and she might just be one of them. I put her little box in my room and shut her in there. She is scratching at the door wanting out. I don't want her to take off again once my kids start playing and running inside and outside today. What do you think I should do? Is this normal for a mom to want to leave or is she just not liking the mamma thing? I bought some stage two KMR milk to use to ween them when they are a little older and introduce food but I am almost thinking I should have bought the first stage also. :-/ http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?c=1+1388&aid=906 http://cats.about.com/cs/kittencare/a/kittencarethree.htm

Comments

• Sophie VeilleuxSophie Veilleux Member Posts: 182
    edited 10 March, 2010
    I don't have any advice on what to do about the kittens, but I would suggest keeping her indoors because she is not spayed and could come back pregnant again! Good luck with the little ones and maybe start feeding them yourself if you aren't already.
  • emma clarkeemma clarke Nottingham Robin Hood CountryMember Posts: 6,819
    edited 10 March, 2010
    Are you letting her eat as much as she wants? Nursing mothers need a lot more food than usual. I only ask this because when I used to live with my previous owners, they let me have kittens but never fed me enough to sustain my energy needs, so I had to go out searching for food so that I could feed my kittens properly. I just thought I'd ask as some people don't realise a nursing mumcat can eat about 3 times the amount of food as normal. In my case, I only left my kittens to go out and find more food. Purrs ~ Pepsi
  • Heather StanfordHeather Stanford Member Posts: 1,308
    edited 11 March, 2010
    She has a very large food bowl in the area that is fenced off for her and also her other food bowl in the kitchen where they are normaly at. Before she had the kittens she would catch the mice around our chicken coop. Maybe that is what she is wanting to go and do. :? I have been locking her up in my room and not letting her out. She was very upset about this on the first day. Now I think she is getting ok with the idea. She has been staying in the room and one of the kittens has opened her (I think) eyes already. The kittens are growing by the second it seems. I think as long as I keep her locked in my room she will at least feed them. How long before she can get pregnant again? I want my BIL to get her fixed before this can happen again. :n: I read after they are done nursing so after the kittens are 6 weeks old.
  • emma clarkeemma clarke Nottingham Robin Hood CountryMember Posts: 6,819
    edited 11 March, 2010
    Yes, that's correct. Cats can get pregnant just 6 weeks after giving birth:-O Your kitty may not like being kept in but it's probably best for both mumcat and kittens. Hope all goes well with the kitten rearing and finding them good homes! Purrs ~ Pepsi
    edited 12 March, 2010
    :-O Oh my! Well, we haven't let her outside and it has been a REAL challenge! She wants out there so badly. Between two children under 5 and the dogs going in and out all day I think we have done pretty well. The kittens are growing like little weeds and all seem healthy. One has had her eyes open and another is just about all of the way open. The smallest still has his eye closed.
  • DONNA KELLY-BIRCHDONNA KELLY-BIRCH kenoshaMember Posts: 1,018
    edited 12 March, 2010
    You are doing the right thing keeping her in. Kittens, like babies, need to eat every 3-4 hrs when they are this small. Stick to your guns until they are at least 4 wks. old, and then you can gradually introduce them to solid food. We usually start with a little can food or human meat baby food mixed with kitten milk. Sometimes you need to put a little in their mouths before they get the hang of eating, but don\'t force them after that. Just try again the next time. They still need Mama at that age, so make sure she stays in with them at least part time until they are all willing to totally eat on their own. At 5-6 wks. they should be willing to eat some small kitten kibble in addition to the wet food. The longer they stay with Mama and each other the better, so I would keep them until they are at least 8-10 wks. Mama can go out and get pregnant right away - I\'m not even sure they have to wait 6 wks. So you\'ll want to keep her in until she can be safely spayed. The best is to wait a couple week after the kittens are done nursing so her milk can dry up, but sooner is better if there is a chance of her getting preggers again. Good Luck to you and have fun with the babies!! Before you know it they will be all grown and gone to new homes.:-h
  • Kat WhickerKat Whicker ToledoMember Posts: 1,695
    edited 12 March, 2010
    some cats just arnt good moms. how many times a day is she nursing? and yes, it is a great idea to keep her inside only. she could get knocked up again, esp if she isnt nursing her kittens alot. also, how is her health? mom cats tend to avoid there kittens if they are sick, or the mother herself is sick. how do her "teats" look? are they full, crusty, hot to the touch? is she showing any signs of illness? if she refuses to nurse, you may have to bottle feed.
  • Jan ArmstrongJan Armstrong Member Posts: 6,559
    edited 12 March, 2010
    I did that too. When my babies got two weeks old I stopped staying with them all the time, but the second they made a noise I was there ASAP! With children underfoot, I do suggest something to keep them in that the mother cannot get them out of. Little kitten bodies are very fragile and they could get stepped on by accident. A family down the street from us had an incident when their 5 year old who didn\'t see the 4 week old black kitten in a shadowed area accidentally stepped on it and it wasn\'t pretty. Yes, very young kittens can crawl out of the nest. My third born, Quest, crawled 16 foot into the next room at 1 1/2 weeks! If he didn\'t freak out squalling Momma may not have seen him when she got up from the computer and stepped on him! That\'s when Momma kitten proofed (mostly so their heads would not get stuck) the dog crate for them to stay in at night and when they could not be supervised. Since young kittens need to eat every few hours, I was put in their to say with them at night. I was NOT happy, but we all got through it.
  • Shana SteppShana Stepp Member Posts: 118
    edited 12 March, 2010
    I would spend a day watching this mama cat very carefully and see EXACTLY how much she if feeding these kittens. If they aren't getting a meal AT LEAST every 4-5 hours, that is not good. They really need to be fed like every 3-4 hours. They may need bottle fed if she is going to reject them. That happens. Especially if she senses something is wrong with them. If you're in and out and haven't been able to monitor exactly how much time she's spending with these kittens, you might be missing seeing her feed. I'm hoping for the kittens sake they are getting more feedings than twice a day. And fyi, cats can most certainly get pregnant before six weeks after giving birth. Some cats can get pregnant right away, even if they are nursing. It's imperitive that this cat does not get out and get pregnant again. If it's too difficult to keep her in because of all the activity at your house, no offense but maybe she needs a foster home to go to at least till she's weaned the kittens and she is properly spayed. There are lots of people who foster mama cats and their kittens. These people are very dedicated to these kittens and most have the time to bottle feed if necessary. Having the kittens under the bed can be dangerous. Kittens are so small and fragile and yes they do crawl around even at this young age. It is so easy to step on them. It would be so much better if they were in a room that is off-limits to all pets and children, somewhere safe and quiet. Preferably in a box that the kittens can't easily get out of. To help keep mama from wanting to wander off, help curb her boredom by playing with her when she's not nursing. To a cat who is use to being outside, they can get so very bored being stuck indoors. Play games with her, give her catnip, cuddle her. It will help keep her happy while stuck inside. Good luck.
    edited 15 March, 2010
    Over the weekend she seems to have snapped out of not wanting to take care of her kittens. She was with them almost all day long the entire weekend and didn't go crazy wanting outside. =D> I think she feeds them at least every 3-4 hours now. I now they haven't gone more then 4 hours without her being in there with them. She is acting like a good mamma now. Miss Tiny Burr Burr~ I looked her over and her tits look ok they are pink like normal color and not swollen. They are not red, scratched, or weird looking. I also felt around them and non of them feel hard and it didn't hurt her for me to touch them. Her appitite is still picking up. She looks how she did before she got pregnant. She never got real skinny after she had the kittens. I think mamma is doing pretty good. I guess it might have just been a shock or something for her then her mothering instinct FINALY kicked in. Deliah~ Well, we are the foster family for her. Here in our little town a lot of people have that mentality since we are in the middle of the desert that is were people can just dumb there animals. Not saying that my BIL would ever do that just saying she is lucky to be with us at our house while she is having to be a mom. She is in the safest room in our house. The kids and dogs don't go in our room. They have a kiddy fence put up so they can't get out. They have about a 3x6 foot area they can adventualy run around in and be ok without getting into anything. The kubby area they are in is fully enclosed so there is no worry of they actualy getting "in" under the bed. We don't step in that area, we just get out of bed at the foot of the bed. ;) Update on the kittens: they are now 2 weeks and 3 days old and all have there eyes open. They are starting to walk around and growing like there is no tomorrow.
    edited 15 March, 2010
    Here are some pictures of them. I didn\'t want to take many and have them seeing stars and get mamma mad. The mom is Trixy\'s sister and see looks just like Trixy but doesn\'t have the grey spots on her face like Trixy does. Out of Trixy\'s brother and sisters three are all colored grey and white just like Trixy and one female is a calico. These kittens look like they fit right in with them. There is a big black male that runs around so I think that is the father. Top view The babies Of course no one could look at the camera The babies
  • Debra PietrowskiDebra Pietrowski Sussex CountyMember Posts: 1,833
    edited 16 March, 2010
    How cute ! I like the one thats mostly white with the black spots on its back.. MEOWSERS
  • Niki MattsonNiki Mattson St. PaulMember Posts: 20,360
    edited 20 March, 2010
    I like that one too, but they are all adorable, as only kittens can be. Glad Mama is doing her job now.
    edited 22 March, 2010
    They didnt look at the camera cause.... Three little kittens lost their mittens and they began to cry Oh mother dear....
    edited 22 March, 2010
    Three little kittens, They lost their mittens, And they began to cry, Oh, mother dear, We sadly fear Our mittens we have lost. What! Lost your mittens, You naughty kittens! Then you shall have no pie. Mee-ow, mee-ow, mee-ow, mee-ow. You shall have no pie. The three little kittens, They found their mittens, And they began to cry, Oh, mother dear, See here, see here, Our mittens we have found. What! Found your mittens, You darling kittens! Then you shall have some pie. Mee-ow, mee-ow, mee-ow, mee-ow. You shall have some pie. The three little kittens, Put on their mittens, And soon ate up the pie; Oh, mother dear, We greatly fear Our mittens we have soiled. What! Soiled your mittens, You naughty kittens! Then they began to sigh, Mee-ow, mee-ow, mee-ow, mee-ow. They began to sigh. The three little kittens, They washed their mittens, And hung them out to dry; Oh mother dear, Look here, look here, Our mittens we have washed. What! Washed your mittens, You're such good kittens. I smell a rat close by! Hush! Hush! Hush! Hush! Hush! Hush! Hush! I smell a rat close by. . :)):)):-/