Dear Catster reader,

Almost two years ago, we invested numerous resources and rebuilt the Catster community. With new hardware, software and personnel, we did our best to satisfy the many users who shared their thoughts, pictures, questions, and love for and of their pets with us and friends. It was a thriving community with many users. We hoped, however, there would be more like you.

Times and habits have changed and we are sad to announce that the Catster community will be closing down on July 20, 2019.

Catster magazine, www.catster.com and the associated social media sites are NOT shutting down. We encourage you to continue reading the content found in the pages of the magazine and the web sites, commenting through the mechanisms provided and sharing your ideas and comments with us and your fellow readers.

Instructions for accessing pet profiles were shared with everyone in 2017. The instructions can be found elsewhere within the forum. AFTER JULY 20TH, YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO ACCESS THIS CONTENT. And, effective immediately, we are no longer able to answer questions about the community.

Thank you for your support and we look forward to serving you through our magazine and website.

Cheers,
Catster

Which brand wet food?

DAVID DONLANDAVID DONLAN Member Posts: 28
edited 20 April, 2010 in Food & Nutrition
I am getting ready to switch my kitties to wet from dry. Which brands should I go for? I was looking for Weruva or Wellness. Which of these is better? If I buy Wellness should I buy the regular or the core? Thanks guys! |/h/|

Comments

• Jordan SpivaJordan Spiva Los Angeles,CAMember Posts: 355
    edited 31 March, 2010
    Get CORE if it's within your budget. otherwise Wellness is perfectly fine.
  • DAVID DONLANDAVID DONLAN Member Posts: 28
    edited 31 March, 2010
    Is Weruva best? I can't find it in my state and I'd hate to buy a case of it online and find out my cats hate it.
  • Tina BTina B Vancouver IslandMember Posts: 2,238
    edited 31 March, 2010
    Hi Worf here is a list of some good foods to put into your rotation, its best to feed a few flavours. As for the Weruva, we cannot get it here in Canada yet either. You could ask the pet shop you shop at to see if they could order it in for you maybe? Wet food: Wellness grain free varities (the fish flavoured ones, only once a week) Wellness Core Evo 95% line Evo cat and kitten Felidae grain free Merricks before grain There are some other foods that do not contain grain like "Go" and Natures Variety, but they are heavy in fruits and vegies, something our obligate carnivores do not need. We buy the big cans by the case as it is cheaper than buying the smaller cans, we get a discount when buying a case, or we buy say 12 cans (different flavours) of Wellness to make a case to get the discount. We also feed premade raw.
  • Karen LeeKaren Lee The kingdom of Mer-lotMember Posts: 89,020
    edited 31 March, 2010
    Weruva is fine if you want to feed that :) http://www.weruva.com Weruva also has a separate line caled B.F.F. which is mostly all seafood-based, http://bestfriendsfoods.com Too much seafood is not good for your kidneys so only feed these once in awhile. Lots of other brands are good. Choose whatever brand(s) you like to eat, your Human can afford and find in the local stores. Wellness is good, both the regular ones and the CORE ones. You don\'t need to feed top of the line grain-free premium brands. Some people do but not everyone can afford it. You can feed an inexpsensive brand and occasionally feed a higher quality food. Ideally, look for a brand that contains real meat as the first ingredient and as few fruits and veggies as possible. Merrick Before Grain is a supplemental food only but I hear that the food is in the process of beign changed to make it nutritionally complete :-k If you buy this brand, be sure to closely read the label. If the ingredient list does not list vitamins and minerals, only meat or fish and water, then it is only a supplement. There is a teeny tiny disclaimer on the label that will tell you that the food is a supplement to complement dry food.
    edited 1 April, 2010
    Thanks for the info so far. So, Wellness sounds good. How do Weruva and Wellness stack up to eachother?
  • Tina BTina B Vancouver IslandMember Posts: 2,238
    edited 1 April, 2010
    Worf here is a list of cheaper WET foods that are cheaper to feed, sorry I should have posted these too, do whatever you can afford to do. Also I would say that the Wellness looks a bit better to me, as it does have higher protein I believe, and the Weruva has Tapioca in it, someone corrrect me if im wrong here. Here is the list of cheaper wet foods, note only certain flavours. Whiskas Savory Ground pate - Chicken dinner, Mealtime, Bits 0 beef, Turkey and Giblets,( not Whiskas in gravy) The savory ground is vegetable and grain free. 9 Lives - Chicken dinner, Chicken and Tuna dinner, Turkey dinner, Chicken & Seafood dinner, Liver &Bacon Dinner, Prime grill with Beef. Friskies- Supreme Supper, mixed grill, Country style dinner, Poultry platter, Turkey and Giblets dinner. Pro Plan- Adult Chicken& liver entree, adult Turkey & Giblets entree The following are Fancy Feast flavors contain NO wheat gluten and are below 10% carbs: * Tender Beef Feast (brown label color) * Tender Beef & Liver Feast (magenta) * Tender Beef & Chicken Feast (red) * Gourmet Chicken Feast (dark pink...be careful, this looks just like another chicken variety with gluten!) * Turkey & Giblets Feast (olive green) * Tender Liver & Chicken Feast (orange) * Chopped Grill Feast (kelly green) * Flaked Fish & Shrimp Feast (true blue) * Savory Salmon Feast (orange) * Flaked Ocean Fish Feast (pink) * Tuna and Oceanfish Feast in Aspic (teal label)
  • Rebecca NowakRebecca Nowak Orange County, NYMember Posts: 1,397
    edited 1 April, 2010
    I ocassionally give the boys a can of Weruva to mix things up and they love it. Weruva, or at least the ones I buy, are shreds of meat in gravy, whereas foods like EVO, NV Instincts, Merrick\'s, and Ziwi Peak (the usual canned foods I feed) are pate style. For the Weruva, I will only feed either the Nine Liver flavor or the Paw Lickin Chicken flavor; the others all have large chunks of vegetables whick I don\'t want to feed my cats. There is also a seafood line, but I don\'t like feeding seafood, so I\'ve not tried them. Something else that I don\'t like is that all the chicken varieties are only made using breast meat and they all have either potato or tapioca starch in them. Additionally, the percentage of fat is too low, IMHO, less than 2%, which reduces the number of calories, and increases the amount you need to feed, even for adult maintenance. Good things about Weruva are that they use antibiotic free, hormone free chicken, most of the food is grain free, they appear to be a quality company, and my cat\'s love it. Additionally, the Weruva company now makes Soulistic cat food available through Petco, which is supposed to be a cheaper version of the regular Weruva (which is as expensive as EVO). I bought a couple of cans of Soulistic during a blackout emergency last month and the boys ate it, but I wouldn\'t buy it normally. Purrs, Shade
    edited 1 April, 2010
    Meow thank you. Meow have lots to go on. Meow. The pesky humans in the house will have to buy me some of these foods.
    edited 1 April, 2010
    Wellness is only pate/loaf style. Weruva is shredded/chunked meat in gravy with visible small cubes of veggies. Some cats only like pate/loaf style. Others like food with texture. Others don't care :) You can feed both brands if you want. Some cats like to have variety in the diet. Wellness does come in the larger 13 ounce cans which multi-cat households find more economical. Weruva ony comes in 3 and 5 ounce cans.
  • BambergcatBambergcat Member Posts: 838 ✭✭✭
    edited 1 April, 2010
    Wellness, grain free....yipppppeee. We are tired of the prescription food. Natasha loves the Wellness, turkey and chicken. She and Alex will get the salmon/turkey once a week because of the seafood. Natasha had got her appetite back and will finish the entire can. I add water to it to help with her fluids too....Bamcat
    edited 1 April, 2010
    Meow, my human was looking at the Evo website and isn't sure if their 95% protein line is a good everyday meal. Does it have everything I need to keep me healthy? What say you? Meowsers! :^:
    edited 1 April, 2010
    EVO 95% is good =; It is nutrionally complete with vitamins and minerals. All the Innova lines are nutritionally complete. If the ingredient list is very short (like 2 or 3 ingredients) and does not list any vitamins and minerals, then it is not nutritionally complete and can only be fed as an occasional snack/treat. Fancy Feast Appetiziers is one such food. It only contains meat or fish and water and a few other things used to thicken the gravy.
    edited 1 April, 2010
    Hooray! I like the look of Evo food! I think I'll have my human get me that to try first! ;c;
    edited 20 April, 2010
    Meow. My humans have been trying to find Evo and such and are figuring up the math. They say they can't afford to buy the higher end canned foods. What should I have them buy for me? Which of the less expensive foods are best? Are the less expensive canned foods as good as a good dry food? Good day!
  • Lisa ProvostLisa Provost Member Posts: 4,486
    edited 20 April, 2010
    Hey Worf, you can go to my mom's website www.ibdkitties.net and click on the food link. There's a whole page full of grain free cat foods and the links for the companies so you can check out the ingredients of each. My mom feeds Finn and Lacey severeal different brands even during the course of 1 day. Switching up the diet prevents them from getting used to one protein source! Weruva and Wellness is there as well as a bunch of others. Check it out.