Dear Catster reader,

Almost two years ago, we invested numerous resources and rebuilt the Catster community. With new hardware, software and personnel, we did our best to satisfy the many users who shared their thoughts, pictures, questions, and love for and of their pets with us and friends. It was a thriving community with many users. We hoped, however, there would be more like you.

Times and habits have changed and we are sad to announce that the Catster community will be closing down on July 20, 2019.

Catster magazine, www.catster.com and the associated social media sites are NOT shutting down. We encourage you to continue reading the content found in the pages of the magazine and the web sites, commenting through the mechanisms provided and sharing your ideas and comments with us and your fellow readers.

Instructions for accessing pet profiles were shared with everyone in 2017. The instructions can be found elsewhere within the forum. AFTER JULY 20TH, YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO ACCESS THIS CONTENT. And, effective immediately, we are no longer able to answer questions about the community.

Thank you for your support and we look forward to serving you through our magazine and website.

Cheers,
Catster

Drinking Water

Rhonda ColemanRhonda Coleman Member Posts: 191
edited 2 April, 2010 in Food & Nutrition
So, mom has been doing hours and hours of reading about all the good and bad things to feed me - and especially to help me safely loose weight. I haven\'t had any dry food in about 2 weeks, and mom is working on switching me from Friskies canned cat food to a better quality, and I THINK she is looking at ordering some raw food from Feline\'s Pride or Hare-Today. One of the things mom read said something about us cats needing water WITH our food - one reason why dry is so bad for us. Now, me, I\'ve been a water drinker from the beginning. Also, I\'ve always eaten both dry AND wet cat food. Oh, first I have to say that mom doesn\'t tell all this \"stuff\" to dad because he wouldn\'t understand any of it. So, today, dad says to mom, \"I\'ve been noticing that Shadrach isn\'t drinking very much water these days - is that OK or is there something wrong?\" :-O Mom just smiled and explained to him how we need water WITH our food and that the dry was actually dehydrating me so I had to drink lots of water! And that this was just one of the reasons they stopped feeding me the dry food!! How cool is that?!?!?!?~a~

Comments

• ZACKandZOEYZACKandZOEY Cave Creek, AZMember Posts: 12,043 ✭✭
    edited 29 March, 2010
    =; VERY cool Shadrach!! Neat your Daddy noticed the difference too! When we were little kitties and came from the rescue and were eating dry kibble, we drank lots of water. Now that we live with Mommy and Daddy and are eating all canned food, we hardly ever drink out of our water fountains. It is hard for kitties to drink enough water when they are eating dry kibble. With canned food, we are getting most or all of our needed water in our food. Sounds like your Mommy is making some great changes for you!! ;c;
  • Julie VentrigliaJulie Ventriglia Member Posts: 2,923
    edited 29 March, 2010
    That is awesome Shadrach =; ;c;;c;;c;;c;;c;;c;;c;;c;;c;
  • Tina BTina B Vancouver IslandMember Posts: 2,238
    edited 29 March, 2010
    Yay Shadrach;c;;c;;c;;c;;c;;c; My kitties hardly drink any water either because they are getting it from the food they eat :) The only time they drink water is if it gets hot in the house, which is not very often since we are in a northern climate.
  • Heather ThompsonHeather Thompson BountifulMember Posts: 3,652
    edited 29 March, 2010
    Awesome that he noticed! I know we have noticed we don't have to fill up the water fountains near as often now that they are eating canned food only diet, it's a lot nicer, it seemed like we were filling them every other day before.
  • Valerie DurhamValerie Durham Member Posts: 8,724
    edited 30 March, 2010
    Yes, I've noticed that my cats drink a lot more water when eating kibble. But don't cut out the water completely. If you feed your cat wet food only, and also provide water that he drinks (albeit in smaller quantities), then he needs water. Even ferals and other cats who live outdoors can be seen drinking from water puddles and streams. By the way, Shadrach (great name!) is an absolutely stunning Maine Coon. He looks more like a Maine Coon than the MCs I see at cat shows. And his coloring is wonderful--what a catch! Don't forget that MCs looove to play with water. All of my crew play with their water before drinking it, which is one reason that the water disappears so quickly--they splash it all over. So don't deprive your sweetie of water. Purrs.
  • Rhonda ColemanRhonda Coleman Member Posts: 191
    edited 30 March, 2010
    Thanks all for the comments! This is Rhonda - Shadrach\'s mommy. He\'s outside playing in the sunshine and grass (first we\'ve seen here in WV in quite a while), so I get to use the computer! My DH noticed him not drinking, but also we\'ve noticed a drop in the number of wet balls in the litter box. Is this normal?? We are on our Easter Break from school next week and I am going to start giving him some raw food. I\'m still so unsure on how many ounces I should be feeding him. He seems like he is STARVING all the time. I give him a 1.5 - 1.75 ounces of Friskies and Wellness Core mix at 4 when I get up to get ready for school. DH gives him about an ounce of Friskies between 8 and 9 a.m. and again at noon. Then he gets 1.5-1.75 ounces at 5 and about 1.5 ounces at bed time. That seems like a lot of feedings, but he\'s been used to free feeding the dry food for nearly 7 years now. So he is getting between 6.5 and 8 ounces of canned food per day. He weighed 16.4 lbs at the vet about 3 weeks ago. I could use some advice or suggestions about how much I am feeding. I tried asking the vet but they really weren\'t much help at all. I know he needs to lose weight, but not too fast. OOPS! He\'s inside now - better go or he\'ll want the computer!! Adding a quick PS: DH is the one who started giving him little bits of food every time he went into the kitchen. Even if there was kibble in his dish, DH would put in a few more pieces. He\'s done this for years. Now, Shadrach just about knocks us down when we get up and look like we\'re going to the kitchen. Is this ever going to get better?
    edited 30 March, 2010
    Even with canned we will still have our water fountains around the house. Mommy likes the ceramic water fountain on www. hammacher.com the best. We give it 5 paws. Alot of cats overeat. Obesity is getting to be a big problem with cats and dogs. My Vet said not to follow the directions on pet food. Alot of them are still going by old recommendations. He told us as kittens and cats to be fed either 1/2 cup dry or 6oz canned a day. You could also give 1/4 cup dry and 3 oz canned if you combine. He told us as kittens if we are really running around we could have a little extra. Mommy feeds us 4 meals a day for a total of 6 oz canned a piece plus throws in just a few bits of dry kibble for treats. We get no regular treats or human food. I'm no help with a raw diet. EVO cat food will be the closest we will get to that.
  • Jordan SpivaJordan Spiva Los Angeles,CAMember Posts: 355
    edited 31 March, 2010
    I notice this too. It's actually much easier. I mean a week will go by and the water is at the same level it was when I filled it. I don't find myself freaking out as much about if I filled up her water in the morning sine wet food has it covered for the most part.
  • Paula K-Paula K- New YorkMember Posts: 2,244
    edited 1 April, 2010
    Shadrach, the amount of food should be based on your ideal weight. I always forget the formula, but Shadows knows. My brother Teddy is 10 lbs. and it comes to slightly less than 3 oz. per meal. Come on over to the raw food forum for tips on raw. I self-regulate really well so mom doesn't measure. Zack, that doesn't sound like much for a growing kitten. When we foster we let kittens eat as much wet food as they want and they don't get fat - they just *grow*! Between the growing and the energy/activity they often eat twice as much as you! I wouldn't free-feed dry food (that's just asking for trouble) but I would give you and your sister wet whenever you wanted it. My two cents!
    edited 2 April, 2010
    Thanks BK. We are going according to what our Vet says who sees us in person. He is a feline only Vet and very up on nutrition. We are gaining weight and growing well on the EVO canned food we eat.
    edited 2 April, 2010
    Getting back to drinking water. I saw there is another cute ceramic water fountain out - Smartcat Pioneer Pet Fountain. It comes in stainless steel and ceramic. I think fountains make it more fun to drink water from and encourage us to drink water if we need to, plus they are fun to watch.