Dear Catster reader,

Almost two years ago, we invested numerous resources and rebuilt the Catster community. With new hardware, software and personnel, we did our best to satisfy the many users who shared their thoughts, pictures, questions, and love for and of their pets with us and friends. It was a thriving community with many users. We hoped, however, there would be more like you.

Times and habits have changed and we are sad to announce that the Catster community will be closing down on July 20, 2019.

Catster magazine, www.catster.com and the associated social media sites are NOT shutting down. We encourage you to continue reading the content found in the pages of the magazine and the web sites, commenting through the mechanisms provided and sharing your ideas and comments with us and your fellow readers.

Instructions for accessing pet profiles were shared with everyone in 2017. The instructions can be found elsewhere within the forum. AFTER JULY 20TH, YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO ACCESS THIS CONTENT. And, effective immediately, we are no longer able to answer questions about the community.

Thank you for your support and we look forward to serving you through our magazine and website.

Cheers,
Catster

indoor to outdoor cat

Kat WhickerKat Whicker ToledoMember Posts: 1,695
edited 6 April, 2010 in Behavior & Training
i have a foster cat who has never really ajusted to people. i have worked with her for months. she allows people to pet her, but complains, and mostly keeps to herself away from people. she likes other cats, and likes to "hunt" her toys. she is spayed with all her claws, and has her rabies shot. I have had her for a year now. evertime someone comes to see her to possibly adopt, she hides and hisses. Someone wants a barn cat that i know. Im thinking about putting Evee outside, because i feel like she would enjoy her life better. she sees unhappy being inside, and has never bonded with anyone, including me. normally i am totally agesnt indoor cats going outside, but in this case it might be for the best. Evee really dosnt like being around people. she will tolerate me. I figure since she is fixed with all her claws, and this person will provide shelter and food...maybe it be for the best? any thoughts?

Comments

• Kat WhickerKat Whicker ToledoMember Posts: 1,695
    edited 5 April, 2010
    i should ad i would be going with her, because i am her bestest buddy. I do not like people eaither! i hide when people come over. We are best buddys and we like to hide under the bed together. When people pick me up, i growl. i am just not a people-cat MOL!!! i think i would like outside as long as i had a nice warm barn and lots of food, and vet care if i got hurt.
  • Paula K-Paula K- New YorkMember Posts: 2,244
    edited 5 April, 2010
    Where did these cats come from? Were they feral? Were they used to being outdoors? I would never advocate sending an indoor cat outdoors to live, but if they were feral and you feel they've absolutely come as far as they're going to around people, I'm not sure. It's almost a question of their happiness vs. their safety. Anyone else have any thoughts?
    edited 5 April, 2010
    they come from unknown background. the black one i got 4 months of age the other one since 1 week. ive had them for almost a year. they just seriously seem unhappy. they dont like people very much. they tolerate me but any strangers they hide and growl. ive had ppl over to try to work with them, but nothing. i dont know...
  • MrD_Sam_RazaMrD_Sam_Raza New ZealandMember Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭
    edited 5 April, 2010
    Hummm... the fact you said they are not that friendly to humans leads you to think they are use to outside. I think they will need to be watched :-k as an indoor outdoor or an outside cat does learn survival tricks. ie what to eat and what not to eat, etc. But one that has only lived inside, more than likely won\'t have those skills. I think what you are doing is the best, and that is looking at the cat. You are trying to do the best for the cat and living a happy life is often preferred over a long miserable life. I know what I\'d chose :))
    edited 5 April, 2010
    What happened to the other barn cats? :-k
    edited 5 April, 2010
    this person just moved to a farm.
    edited 5 April, 2010
    I\'m all for indoor /outdoor cats. if the area is safe. I\'m an indoor / outdoor cat and wouldn\'t want to live any other way. I\'m also 19 years old but then it is kind of safe were I live. I love it outside~a~ But then I\'m street /outdoor wise
  • Elizabeth LewandowskiElizabeth Lewandowski Wausau, WIMember Posts: 6
    edited 5 April, 2010
    Outdoor kitties statistically just do not live as long as indoor kitties...they might be happier if they still receive some human care and attention, but bottom line...more disease, more accidents, shorter life.
    edited 6 April, 2010
    thats true. but being misrable inside to be kept "safe" dosnt seem right. We have 3 strickly outdoor barn cats. one is going on 12 the other is 10ish. one is going on 3. Jinxs passed away this winter at an unknown old age (he turned up as an old stray) Tucker has health issues related to eating dry food, not outside. the barn cats we have had (the ones we were able to trap and fix) are still around. the ones who passed on (chloe&jinxs) came to us allready old and sick, and had to be put to sleep due to cancer. i usually advocate indoor only. but i dont think some things can be helped.
  • Stephanie JohnsonStephanie Johnson Member Posts: 556
    edited 6 April, 2010
    Well Balster is 19 and I had a cat growing up that was outdoors (came in to eat and sleep, but that\'s it) and he lived to 15. And he was a true country cat - mouse hunting, skunk fighting, and running from cougars! :-O So, I don\'t know. :-k I would never *ever* let Isabelle be an outside cat but that\'s just because she never has been and isn\'t smart like that (and it\'s not safe here). Is it possible the cats could be monitored on the farm for the first few weeks before letting them loose? In an outdoor enclosure or something? I don\'t know how that would work on a farm ...
    edited 6 April, 2010
    I would insists they be put in a small pen or cage untill there use to outside. letting them loose is a bad idea.