Abandoned kitten

Kay CiesielczykKay Ciesielczyk MinneapolisMember Posts: 30
edited 9 April, 2010 in Kitten Corner
Persephone breech birthed this weekend to four kittens and unfortunately only one survived. The third kitten is the one that made it only because Persephone's mom helped break the sac. Mom has now adopted this kitten and is feeding it because Persephone will not. I am worried about Persephone's swollen teats. She looks uncomfortable, but wants nothing to do with the kitten. What can I do for her? Additionally, the father has become very hostile towards her. They used to be very cuddly together and lately he has been hissing and taking swipes at her. The poor thing has gone through enough lately- why is he doing this? Can it be stopped?

Comments

• Kat WhickerKat Whicker ToledoMember Posts: 1,695
    edited 5 April, 2010
    it would be best to keep the father away from the mother. this is normal for the cats to be mean towards eatchother. As soon as there both fixed, they should resume being buddys. Keep a sharp eye on mom cat. she could have an infection in her milk glands and thats why shes grouchy and swollon. Are they hot to the touch? is she acting sick? sometimes, cats dont make good mothers, or there body just cant deal with it. like i said before, getting the cats fixed will solve the problem.
  • Kat WhickerKat Whicker ToledoMember Posts: 1,695
    edited 5 April, 2010
    also, being that she is so young to have kittens, it causaes MANY problems. please keep an eye out for her being sick. infected milk glands can be very very painfull and life threating. the nipple itself can accully blow right off and leave a gaping wound. Morganna was a rescue cat and she had this. she was in alot of pain, and also a young mother. she stopped nursing her kittens also.
  • Annalisa Conserti-JonesAnnalisa Conserti-Jones Member Posts: 5,234
    edited 5 April, 2010
    Persephone's mom, it's true, young mother cats don't make the best mothers. My momma cat did the bare minimum to care for me (she ended up with a rescue before she had me and my littermate), and as soon as she could wean us, she apparently did (my human mom learned this second hand, she didn't rear us, she just adopted me at 6 months). After that, she wanted little to do with me or my littermate. She was your age when she gave birth to me, entirely too young to like being a mother. In fact, she ended up needing to be rehomed as an only cat, because she wouldn't even try to get along with other adult rescues. I am glad there is someone there who can hand rear the kitten. Persephone sounds like she is sick, and she should see a vet. If it's safe to do so, she probably should be spayed asap (chances are, if you've been hand rearing the kitten for a while, she won't want to nurse him even after she feels better). It's the kindest thing you can do for her, especially if she has no interest in raising kittens. Additionally, keeping Persephone around other male cats, whether the father of her litter, or otherwise, is a bad idea. Since she is not nursing, she will almost certainly go into heat sooner rather than later. I don't think you want her to have another litter given how complicated her previous birth experience was.
  • Heather StanfordHeather Stanford Member Posts: 1,308
    edited 9 April, 2010
    You might want to give her more time to adjust. Keep that daddy cat away! She might not want to take care of the kitten when there is so going on. Make sure the kitten and her have a nice safe dark spot they can both be in. You could try locking her in the room where the kitten is and see if they will care for it then if she has no where to go. We have a cat that we are taking care of while she had her kittens and at first she wasn't too into the idea that she was supposed to take care of the kittens. It had me worried to death. Finaly she came around and started taking care of them.