Getting another cat

Cheryl CiampagliaCheryl Ciampaglia NewarkMember Posts: 22
edited 16 October, 2005 in Behavior & Training
Hi everyone, We have had Snickers (who is 2) for about a year now and we are thinking of adopting a 9 week old kitten. Does anyone see any issues with this or have any advice? The kittens seem to be in bad conditions and we really want to help them, but not if it is going to cause trouble with Snickers as we don't want her or a new cat to be unhappy. Thank you!

Comments

• Jennifer CrossanJennifer Crossan Scottsdale/PhoenixMember Posts: 291
    edited 27 February, 2006
    We have 7 cats, and they've pretty much been okay with each other as long as they don't socialize! Snickers will surely have some jealousy so just spend extra time with her.
  • edited 27 February, 2006
    I think it really depends on the cat. I have three now that get along fine. Occasionally there's a hissy spat but nothing serious. They have their pecking order and respect each other's place. However I did foster a cat a few years ago that wouldn't back down to the king of the household, Xavier. He started guarding the litter boxes from her and because she held it more often than not, she kept developing UTIs. I wanted to keep her(she was such a sweetheart!) but I felt it was in her better interest to find her another home. I think bringing in a kitten is easier than an adult cat that's set in its ways. I'll find out soon enough though... I'm going to be bringing home a 10 week old in a few weeks. Let's hope I'm right!
  • Cheryl CiampagliaCheryl Ciampaglia NewarkMember Posts: 22
    edited 27 February, 2006
    Well, we took the plunge and got a 9 week kitten named Flik. He's adorable and seems really happy here so far. Snickers, however, hissed and growled a bit and seems to be avoiding him. This seems to be normal behavior, when he's not around, she's very sweet. I'm hoping that soon she calms down a bit.
  • Regine MelinRegine Melin BrooklynMember Posts: 281
    edited 27 February, 2006
    Here's a thread that I had pretty much the same questions. Alex helped me through it. Hope it helps! Adopting and Adapting
    edited 27 February, 2006
    Peggy, thanks for the post! My mommy has taken time to read through all of it and everything sounds very similar to what is going on for me. Flik has been shut up in the spare bedroom all night and part of the morning. He was let loose a little earlier this morning and surprised all of us by hopping downstairs. I hissed and growled at him when he got too close (anywhere between 2 ft. and 6 inches) and he just stood there and walked away. The litterbox they got for Flik is too big, so they gave it to me, but I don't like it and won't go to the bathroom. What should I do?
    edited 27 February, 2006
    Also, my mommy feels bad leaving Flik all alone in the bedroom, even though she visits often. I feel bad too, when I hear him meow...is this normal?
    edited 27 February, 2006
    Snickers, even though your mom feels bad about leaving Flik in the bedroom all alone, this is a necessary step. Remember, my mommy had to keep Spike couped up in a bathroom (much smaller than a bedroom!) for a little over 2 weeks in the HOT weather and it actually really helped with the integration process between him and I. After about a week I wanted to get in to the bathroom and check out this little beast that was taking away my sink drinking marathons. Spike doesn\'t meow, he squeaks so when mommy would hear this it would break her heart. Just be sure that you spend the same amount of time with both cats so that your existing cat doesn\'t get jealous. Also you may want to let them smell each other on you. As far as the litterbox, the only thing I can suggest is that you switch back the boxes and maybe just get another smaller one for Flik. To be honest, I don\'t know much about litterbox behavior since mommy has been extremely lucky with both of us. We share everything although mommy is having a little problem with Spike. He goes in the litter box (which is a covered one) and pees with his but facing the hole in the box and sprays onto the floor.
    edited 27 February, 2006
    I have great news! My mommy took Flik to the vet yesterday (that is the kind of attention I don't want) and he tested negative for feline leukemia. Even though I'm not sure if I like him, I am happy he is not sick. He weighs 1 lb. 12 oz! He's a super tiny! I went into his room a few times when my mommy had the door open (to warm the room up a bit) and I didn't hiss at him like normal. I also got to sleep with my mommy last night and get lots of attention. This morning I got to spend time with my daddy too :) I also tried out my new litter box yesterday, I enjoyed all of the extra space and making everyone happy!
    edited 27 February, 2006
    I'm so glad everything is working out!
    edited 27 February, 2006
    Well, I have thought about it and I still don't like that Flik. He tries to eat my food! Mommy and Daddy make him stop, I appreciate their support on that. He also jumped towards me earlir and it scared me, so I hissed. Mommy is worried that, even though it takes time, that I will never like Flik and that he will have to go away. I don't know how I feel about that, but I don't like him now :(
    If you give it a little more time, I bet he\'ll start to grow on you. It can take a month or more to get used to a new cat. It will probably go more quickly for you because he\'s so little. You just need to keep hissing at him to help him figure out who\'s the boss!
    edited 27 February, 2006
    Well, I hissed and hissed, but the little bugger kept coming up to me, trying to be cute and friendly. So, I swatted at him, then he swatted back! Afterwards, my mommy and daddy put him back in his room for the time being so we wouldn't be upset for long. He roamed the house again while I spent time with mommy, so maybe tomorrow he will respect my authority.
    edited 27 February, 2006
    Snikers, what my mommy did was just let us be. If I would get annoyed I would let Spike know who is boss. If you put them together just ignore them and let them get aquainted. As for feeding time, I would try to feed them in different places for a while until they are comfortable with each other. Even now, Spike has a bad habit of eating whatever food I leave in my dish.
    Well, Peggy, boy kitties are just pigs! I like to have a nice leisurely breakfast but Alex always tries to push me out of the way and steal my food before I can finish it. As long as the hissing and growling doesn\'t progress beyond the occasional slap, there\'s no reason for humans to intervene. It\'s scary for humans to watch this, but this is how we kitties learn to get along and it\'s completely instinctive for us.
    edited 27 February, 2006
    I agree and that is what I try to tell my mommy, but she doesn't want me or Flik to be any more upset than we are. She's also worried that the tension is making Flik throw up. Even though his food and water is in a completely different room than mine (which he knows, I saw the little pig eating out of it), he still tries to get mine. I think it's because he is so small (only 1 lb. 12 oz!) and he wants to be big and strong like me :)
    Snickers, what kind of food is he eating? He\'s so tiny and he may be throwing up because his digestive system hasn\'t developed enough for the food he is trying to eat.
    edited 27 February, 2006
    He's eating the food the petstore people recommended, Eukanuba kitten food. They got a small bag and plan to give him the science diet the vet gave us when he is done with it, in a few days. Sometimes brown liquid comes out when he sneezes too, maybe he has an infection?
    edited 27 February, 2006
    I think that a trip to the vet is in order. Remember also not to just suddenly switch foods on him it will upset his stomach. Gradually introduce the new food you plan on feeding him for a long time so that he gets used to it. I know that an abrupt change in my food, upsets my stomach so when mommy changes food (not often except now that I have to eat a low allergen food for the problems I'm having) she will slowly introduce a little of the new food.
    edited 27 February, 2006
    I'm happy to report that Flik is doing better. He stopped throwing up after a day and we are now much better friends. We still swat at each other, but now we can sleep together and yesterday I gave him a bath! He was very dirty and he cleaned my face afterwards. I am still not 100% happy my parents brought him home, but I think in time we will be good friends. Thank you everyone for helping us through this!