Walking Two Cats at the same time....

Ashlee GordonAshlee Gordon West SpringfieldMember Posts: 16
edited 11 April, 2010 in Behavior & Training
I have successfully trained both my kitties (Salem Spookypants and Snowy Snugglepants) to walk outside on a leash at the same time!!!! At first I thought this would not be possible...but it is!!! I trained Salem to walk on a leash when we first adopted him and he has always enjoyed his "walks" tremendously. We adopted Snowy on Valentines day this year at 6 months old, so I quickly got him acclimated to wearing a harness and then walking outside on a leash separate from Salem. In the beginning it was tough to get them to walk in the same direction....I had both arms extended it opposite directions. But after many trials and errors, they both got the hang of it and now walk together!!!! We take leisurely walks around my condominium complex, stopping to check out the trees, flowers, and of course the BBQ grills, lolz.... From a outsiders perspective, we must look bizarre! But whatever! I love my two boys, and I know they really enjoy their walks outside on a beautiful day!!!

Comments

• Joy SuJoy Su Member Posts: 90
    edited 3 April, 2010
    That's so cool! I wish I had thought to leash train Taz when she was younger...I don't think she'd accept it now
  • Ashlee GordonAshlee Gordon West SpringfieldMember Posts: 16
    edited 3 April, 2010
    Yes, I think training them from a young age helps a lot!
  • Elizabeth LewandowskiElizabeth Lewandowski Wausau, WIMember Posts: 6
    edited 5 April, 2010
    Wow! Good for you!
  • Cindy BlossCindy Bloss Member Posts: 13
    edited 5 April, 2010
    wow I would love for my guys to go outside for walks but they are truly scaredy cats
  • Linda AbramsLinda Abrams Joanna, SC 29351Member Posts: 555 ✭✭
    edited 5 April, 2010
    Please get someone to video the three of you and post it please. I think it\'s pawsome. When Mom got Winnie (age 11), she tried a figure 8 harness and a long leash. Winnie really surprised her by enjoying herselt. \'Course Mom didn\'t try to lead her around or anything major, just kept close in the event of problems since they lived on high ground in a swamp. Mom always said she felt like Laura Ingalls Wilder except mom lived in \"The Little Gray House in the Swamp\".
    edited 5 April, 2010
    Video recording them on a walk is on my list of "to do's" for the summer. Possibly make a cute youtube video of them with music and everything, MOL!!!! I've been really fortunate that both cats get along so well. They act like Batman and Robin conducting secret missions throughout my condo every day!!!!
  • edited 7 April, 2010
    I have a question about this.... and it\'s the reason I haven\'t taken leash training with our cats any further.... What do you guys do when you come across a dog? Especially if the dog is loose? Unfortunately, lots of owners walk their dogs loose, even though there are leash laws.
  • Rebecca NowakRebecca Nowak Orange County, NYMember Posts: 1,397
    edited 7 April, 2010
    That\'s great Salem. Smudge and Shade love to go out on walks, but I\'ve never had the guts to walk both at the same time! Shade likes to run and Smudge likes to stalk so I think it might not work too well; maybe I\'ll give it a shot though. I still can\'t get the kitten to accept the harness for some reason. I worry about dogs too. We walk in our large yard, but the Rottie from across the street is sometimes out loose and I don\'t trust her at all; this is one of the reasons I don\'t take both cats out by myself. I don\'t really trust the next door neighbor Golden either, but at least he lives with cats. So far I\'ve had no bad cat-dog incidents.
    edited 8 April, 2010
    Great Question about the dog situation. Fortunately for me, I live in a condominium complex that does NOT allow dogs. However; I have been out walking the cats and walked into a few owners who "illegally" own a Boston terrier and another small dog breed. Once my cats spotted the dogs they just decided to turn and go the other way, which was fine with me. Both incidences, both dogs were leashed and nothing happened. My cats are really only afraid of the big dogs that want to eat them anyway. If an unleashed dog were to approach us, we would duck into the nearest garden unit hallway and close the door to get away. (We have garden units that have common area hallways). I can easily pick both cats up at once. They're close friends and don't mind touching each others fur. We would then go out the other side and walk home. On a random subject, Salem has a weird fear of the garbage truck that comes twice a week. So when were out on our walks and the garbage truck rolls down the street, I have to pick up Snowy, and then Salem makes a "bee-line" all the way back to our condo....Snowy and I running right behind him, MOL. It's actually really funny! Salem just HATES the garbage truck...other trucks and cars are fine, but NOT the garbage truck! We could be clear on the other side of the complex 1/4 mile away when he spots the truck...and he knows the FASTEST way to get right home....I'm amazed he doesn't get confused since all the units look alike.
  • Jane JohnstonJane Johnston NMMember Posts: 2,957
    edited 10 April, 2010
    I trained a few of my cats to walk on a leash but only one of them was very good at it. We'd walk in the vets office on a leash, that caused quite a stir. I am expecting Hermione to be good at it, as she's a Savannah and they usually like walking on a leash. Anyway I expect to start her very early. There is a guy in the Savannah group that walks his in the mountains! I don't know if we will get that far. Do you have a dog? I was wondering if anyone has been able to walk a dog and cat together. I know they walk differently but I don't have my dog "heel". --des
    edited 11 April, 2010
    No dog here.... We would love a dog someday, but cats are so much easier!!!! I imagine that it would be frustrating for the dog to walk around with a cat tagging along, but I don't think it would be impossible. I bet someone out their has done it before!