Dear Catster reader,

Almost two years ago, we invested numerous resources and rebuilt the Catster community. With new hardware, software and personnel, we did our best to satisfy the many users who shared their thoughts, pictures, questions, and love for and of their pets with us and friends. It was a thriving community with many users. We hoped, however, there would be more like you.

Times and habits have changed and we are sad to announce that the Catster community will be closing down on July 20, 2019.

Catster magazine, www.catster.com and the associated social media sites are NOT shutting down. We encourage you to continue reading the content found in the pages of the magazine and the web sites, commenting through the mechanisms provided and sharing your ideas and comments with us and your fellow readers.

Instructions for accessing pet profiles were shared with everyone in 2017. The instructions can be found elsewhere within the forum. AFTER JULY 20TH, YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO ACCESS THIS CONTENT. And, effective immediately, we are no longer able to answer questions about the community.

Thank you for your support and we look forward to serving you through our magazine and website.

Cheers,
Catster

Kitty Escape

Holly WareHolly Ware BirminghamMember Posts: 1,316
edited 12 April, 2010 in Behavior & Training
I've been looking after a friends cat for the last week. Long story short he managed to get outside. I've been fostering for a year and never had this happen. How do I get him back??

Comments

• Valerie McMullenValerie McMullen PhoenixMember Posts: 35,203 ✭✭✭
    edited 11 April, 2010
    Oh no! Do you know where he is? Is so leave some food out for him to come find. Something like tuna with a strong smell. You might have to start putting flyers out and talking with the neighbors. Has he ever been outside before? Does he have a collar? You may even need to set a trap with food inside. Cover it with a towel or something that has a familiar scent. We pray you find him and keep us posted. Good luck! |:||:||:||:|
  • Lisa DausmanLisa Dausman Member Posts: 5,216
    edited 11 April, 2010
    Put his cat box outside, they know their own smell. :D Call vets in the area, and ask them to put up fliers on their BB in case someone finds him and brings him in, call animal control, in case someone turns him in, put up flyers, put an ad in the local paper, try Pet Finder, and if he is chipped, call the chip co. Best of luck. :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D
  • Allison Tuthill GaulAllison Tuthill Gaul Virginia Beach, VAMember Posts: 168
    edited 11 April, 2010
    Take a bag of treats outside and start shaking it around. Keep shaking and move toward the house. Grab the cat when you can. I like to escape, especially in the spring, but treats will always bring me back.
  • Holly WareHolly Ware BirminghamMember Posts: 1,316
    edited 12 April, 2010
    After spending the whole day outside and me and various other people hunting like crazy we decided to come in cause it got dark. Well what do you know, 10 mins after giving up, there's a mew at the door! Blinking cat was asking to come in! ;c; I'm so relieved, and all doors are staying firmly closed while he's here. The dogs will have to come and go through the window! Thank you so much for your help!
  • MrD_Sam_RazaMrD_Sam_Raza New ZealandMember Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭
    edited 12 April, 2010
    :)):)) I have to laugh at that one:)):)) I\'m glad you have him.
  • Lisa DausmanLisa Dausman Member Posts: 5,216
    edited 12 April, 2010
    Just a suggestion. When I was teaching the kittens, not to go thru an open door, I put them in their carrier, when I had to bring in groceries, anything where the door would be open, more than just someone going in and out. If you don't have a carrier, shut him in the bathroom or another room, when you let the dogs in and out. :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D
  • Valerie McMullenValerie McMullen PhoenixMember Posts: 35,203 ✭✭✭
    edited 12 April, 2010
    We are so happy he is back home safe and sound! Watch those open doors and windows! We continue to purr for all the other missing furrs and pray for their safe return as well. Please come home! Hugs and purrs, Simon & Reuben(an angel) |:||:||:||:|
  • Linda AbramsLinda Abrams Joanna, SC 29351Member Posts: 555 ✭✭
    edited 12 April, 2010
    So glad to hear he came back. I know it was nerve wracking for you looking for him. Isn\'t it just like a cat to show up after you give up and act like nothing was wrong. I always say they stay away long enough for you to be afraid they won\'t come home and then they get treats for coming back.=;=;