Dear Catster reader,

Almost two years ago, we invested numerous resources and rebuilt the Catster community. With new hardware, software and personnel, we did our best to satisfy the many users who shared their thoughts, pictures, questions, and love for and of their pets with us and friends. It was a thriving community with many users. We hoped, however, there would be more like you.

Times and habits have changed and we are sad to announce that the Catster community will be closing down on July 20, 2019.

Catster magazine, www.catster.com and the associated social media sites are NOT shutting down. We encourage you to continue reading the content found in the pages of the magazine and the web sites, commenting through the mechanisms provided and sharing your ideas and comments with us and your fellow readers.

Instructions for accessing pet profiles were shared with everyone in 2017. The instructions can be found elsewhere within the forum. AFTER JULY 20TH, YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO ACCESS THIS CONTENT. And, effective immediately, we are no longer able to answer questions about the community.

Thank you for your support and we look forward to serving you through our magazine and website.

Cheers,
Catster

Sudden Aversion to Cat Bed

Mandii EmMandii Em Member Posts: 41
edited 13 April, 2010 in Behavior & Training
This is so silly, but I have a cat, who LOVED her cat bed. I took her to stay with a friend who runs a Persian Rescue Facility, assured that my cat would probably have her own room (she's not good with other kitties.) She had her own room, and I brought her cat bed to stay with her. When I picked her up, she has a HUGE aversion to the cat bed. I rubbed cat nip on it, threw it in the dryer, can't smell any urine, and just don't know what to do! This wouldn't be such a big deal, other than it was her favorite thing in the world up until 3 weeks ago and she seems uncomfortable at night. She used to sleep just in the bed, now she meows and cries and sleeps in multiple places with a lot of visiting . . . I wonder if another cat "used" the cat bed. She's pretty unhappy. Any advice for how I can make it "friendly and safe" for her again?

Comments

• Thea PowellThea Powell Member Posts: 852
    edited 7 April, 2010
    Try washing it with white vinegar. There maybe a lingering sent on it that he can smell but you can't whashing in white vinegar should remove that. I'm not sure the type of bed but if you can't get it washed / drycleaned then you could try a product "NIL-ODER" just a spray or two and it eliminates the sents.
  • Lisa DausmanLisa Dausman Member Posts: 5,216
    edited 7 April, 2010
    Why did you take her there and how long was she there, and, are you positive, she had her own room, any way to check, fur shure? :D Nobody ever believes me, but I know, for a fact, this is true, from the horse world, and the same would apply to any animal. When your animal, is not in your care/control, the only way to tell, how they are being treated or were treated, is their reaction to the place, the people, their toys, their bed, and their mommy or daddy. Being that she was in another place, other than her home, which she is familiar with the smells, it is common sense, that her bed would pick up the smells of that place. Its not her bed she is unhappy with, its the smells on that bed. And being that she will no longer sleep in that bed, tells me, something bad happened to her, at that place, and she associates that smell, with what happened to her. Weather she was put in with another cat, or another cat used her bed, or she was not treated well, at that place. She is telling you, something happened there. We all know, we will smell a certain scent or smell, and it reminds us of something we did or a place we were at, and if we had a good time, or it was an unpleasent experience. Its the same with cats, and they have a heightend scense of smell. I myself, would toss that bed, and get her a new one, and never take her back to that place, and if you can, find out what happened to her there. Best of luck. :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D
  • Annalisa Conserti-JonesAnnalisa Conserti-Jones Member Posts: 5,234
    edited 7 April, 2010
    Bumpurr, not to contradict you, but it doesn't have to be the case that something dramatic happened. It might just be that she now associates the bed with the experience of "mommy leaves me". It might or might not lessen over time, and it might require replacing the bed, that part I agree on. Boris here developed an aversion to his first carrier, because he was transported from his former home to ours in it. I ended up regifting it to the rescue he came from. He seems fine with the one we have now (resents going to the vet in it, but is not averse to using it as a nap spot). It also may be that she snubbed the bed while she was staying over at the other place in protest (yes, cats will do that sort of thing at times), and now she's used to having a different sleeping spot, but it was one that stayed behind once she came home. Even if nothing had happened, it's best to provide multiple sleeping surfaces (we have 2 cats, 3 beds they trade off randomly, plus they have boogie mats they like to lay on, and Gracie sometimes decides she'd rather sleep on the blanket that smells like "mommy" ;))
    edited 7 April, 2010
    Hey Boris! :-h Haven't talked to you in awhile, hope all the kitties are good. I could write a book, on experiences, I have seen, of horses that were mis-treated, and previously sweet tempered horses, turned into very bad behaved horses, mine was one of them. I still believe, its the smell, on the bed, she associates, with that place. :D Mine eat in their carriers, so carriers are "good places", and they contain the toys, they take to shows, so they have a good smell from home. I also put the show beds all around the house, so when they go to shows, its another good smell from home. Alot of the time, when Bumpurr is finished eating, and I open his door, he will just stay in there, and take a nappy, mol. This post will prob get alot of replies, mol, so lets take a poll. What smell, makes you think of a bad time or bad experience in your life, and why. For me, its the smell of a hospital, just walking in one, makes me dizzy and nauseated. Alot of yrs ago, had 2 major operations in 3 weeks, and I was in recovery for months. It was a horrible horrible experience for me. Let the poll begin. :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D
  • janice lancasterjanice lancaster temple gaMember Posts: 2,505
    edited 7 April, 2010
    I agree that washing the bed might worked--it might even be possible that another cat peed a little on it; if it was a neutered cat, and not much urine, it might not be that noticeable to a human. Or could be another kitty poopied on it, and it wasn't 'messy', so the cleaning person didn't wash it. Again, we might not notice, but a cat will. I just mention these because when I got here, Rocky loved his round beds, so I would use them as cat boxes to watch him get upset, and put the fat woman to work washing.
  • Kat WhickerKat Whicker ToledoMember Posts: 1,695
    edited 8 April, 2010
    the most obvious reason to me is her bed simply dosnt smell like "hers" since being at that place. i would wash it with unscented laundry soap then rub one of your worn teeshirts that you rubbed on her and yourself over it.
  • Renee RyzRenee Ryz Member Posts: 2,164
    edited 8 April, 2010
    Bumpurr if I smell mildew it takes me back to a kid when our basement flooded, and many of the toys I had got mildewed and had to be thrown out. Not overly traumatic, but I had to toss a Cuddly Duddly doggie I had (those of you that grew up in Chicago in the 60's will remember Ray Raynor) I was horrified to lose that dog. To the original poster - you could try Febreeze too if you cannot wash the bed.
    edited 8 April, 2010
    Tigger, never heard of the Cuddly Duddly dog, mol. I grew up in the country, on a horse and cattle farm. My mother got me a doll for Christmas one year, and I cried, mol, all I wanted to play with was Tonka trucks, Tinker Toys, Lincoln Logs, Legos and Erector Sets, mol. We built way cool stalls and barns for our model horses, and "took them to shows" in the Tonka trucks and horse trailers. Then we built way cool "horse shows" out of Tinker Toys. On our real horses, we played cowboys and indians in the woods, and "herded" the cattle, until they ran thru the fence a few time, and got in trouble for that, mol. We built forts and tunnels in the hay, in the hay loft, until the foreman fell thru one tunnel, and got hurt, and we got in trouble for that too, mol. We had a big rope, we swung on and landed in the loose hay. I was a kid in the 60's too, neighbors were miles away, it was such a great time in my life! :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D
  • Mandii EmMandii Em Member Posts: 41
    edited 8 April, 2010
    Bumpurr: I really don't know how she was treated. She was there about 5 days (4 nights) because I had a job interview and in this economy, you take what you can get. The reason I sent her there is because this is where she was living before I adopted her. It's the Persian Rescue Society in my area. So, I felt comfortable because they are knowledgeable about Persian specific issues like eye health, grooming, and things like that that a regular boarding facility or a visitor who could watch once a day wouldn't understand. She was supposed to have her own room, and I am not sure. I also don't feel like she was taken GREAT care of, because she ate almost nothing and she wasn't clean when she came home. Although I won't take her there again, it seemed like a good idea at the time. She used to live there, she knew the caretaker, she'd lived there for months. I wonder if the cat bed wasn't put in her room with her right away, if the other cats had time to wander on top of it. I will try washing it in white vinegar. I've provided multiple cat beds, she seems to only like this style, and this one. She generally loathes them and prefers to sleep on paper bags. But, paper bags don't look exactly stylish. I rubbed some cat nip on it, and then I sprayed Feli-Way . . . nothing yet! I'll wash it soon. Thank you for the advice EVERYONE! I'll keep working on it.
    edited 9 April, 2010
    i dont think her not wanting to use the bed means she was treated badly...
  • Renee RyzRenee Ryz Member Posts: 2,164
    edited 9 April, 2010
    Maybe she thought you were taking her back, and got upset? and she is taking it out on the bed (and maybe she is mad at you mol) Given the circumstances, I would have thought it a good idea to take her there too, so please don't be hard on yourself for taking her there. You did the best you could at the moment. Bumpurr it sounds like you had the childhood I dreamed of! - always have/still am a horse nut.
  • Mandii EmMandii Em Member Posts: 41
    edited 12 April, 2010
    I actually sort of think she was treated badly. I am trying to be kind to the folks who kindly watched her, but I don't think they were particularily caring of my pet. She ate almost nothing. And, not only did she not eat anything, I don't think fresh food was put out. I brought her food for her, and there was VERY little missing when I picked her up. She looked much thinner than when I left her. She also had extremely dirty eyes. They were red and swollen. Within 5 hours she had a flare of kitty eye infection. She gets it. I sent it with her to the place, with express instructions that if her face gets dirty or her eyes look a little red, to just treat and ask questions later. This definitely wasn't followed through. Furthermore, her fur, face and eyes still seemed dirty when I picked her up. I think she was put in a room with her food and when she didn't eat right away, nothing was done. My best guess is that she was looked in on and the food looked full so they closed the door again. I really don't think it was good. She seemed thirsty (!!!!) and hungry when she got home, dirty and her eyes were infected, it wasn't good.
    edited 13 April, 2010
    i would maybe google them and see if there was other complaints? also not to defend them or anything, but cats can get super stressed when not at home and not eat. I hope they didnt treat her bad!!! :(