My new cat loves to chase the older resident cat

Brett DavisBrett Davis Member Posts: 2
edited 22 April, 2010 in Behavior & Training
I recently brought in Rush. Rush is a 2 year old male - Maine Coon & Simese mix. He is was a stray that was running around the neighborhood. When I found him, he was already declawed and neutered. I already had a cat living with me before I adopted Rush. Ash is a 9 year old female - domestic short hair. They've learned to tolerate each other and get along for the most part. The only problem is, Rush loves to run up from behind and take a swipe at Ash's tail. He is doing it in a playful manner and hasn't hurt Ash. Ash will eventually growl and hiss at him and Rush will stop. However, Rush really enjoys this activity and I'm trying to make him stop. If I see him getting ready to chase after Ash, I'll pick him up and prevent him from doing it. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to break his habbit?

Comments

• Vicky ChanVicky Chan MarkhamMember Posts: 3,542
    edited 14 April, 2010
    I don't see anything wrong with what he is doing. Just let him do whatever he wants. As long as they don't kill each other, I wouldn't worry. Please register and join us Dear.
  • Brett DavisBrett Davis Member Posts: 2
    edited 14 April, 2010
    The only problem is, it is causing some stress on Ash. She is very sensitive and is a very fearful cat.
  • Lisa DausmanLisa Dausman Member Posts: 5,216
    edited 14 April, 2010
    How long have you had Rush and did you gradually introduce Ash to Rush, it is Ash's house, Rush is the new comer, or did you just put them together from the start. It can take 10 days, for a cat to be aclumated, the new one or the old one, they should of been seperated, Rush in a large cage, and let Ash get used to him, on her terms, its her house. Rush is only 2 yrs old, and is just trying to play with Ash, but he must be taught boundries too. Bumpurr is 3 yrs old, and he still runs and plays with the kittens like a crazy boy, sounds like a herd of horses running thru the house, when they all get running, mol. When the kittens came into the household at 8 weeks old, Bumpurr was taught, they are not toys, to him, they were the size of toys, that moved by themselves, mol. Its just training and alot of patience. I do not tolerate, anybody picking on anybody, play yes, play rough yes, when someone is crying, that is no longer play, and we stop. There is no yelling, there is no hitting, they are told, that is baddy boy stuff, and they know what that means, and they stop. We would love to have you join our group, and we would love to see pictures of Rush and Ash. :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D
  • Rusti SavageRusti Savage Long BeachMember Posts: 806
    edited 14 April, 2010
    I'm having a very fun time picturing Bumpurr rolling little kittens around like little balls. ~a~ For cats of that age difference, ten days might not be enough. When I had to move into my Mommy's parent's house, there was already Chloe (9), Skimbleshanks (5 or 6), and Genghis (kitten). Genghis is my half-brother and we got along instantly, but Skimble had been the resident in-house male cat for five or six years, and suddenly another male his size made him very weary. It took a couple months for him to go about his days normally and not hiss at me all the time. Chloe STILL hates me, but I try not to take it personally because she hates everybody. And frankly she is very scary so we try to avoid her! Perhaps a spray bottle to discourage rough behavior that might distress the older miss? I agree that these thinks take time, but I know how younger cats can be rambunctious towards elder ones.
  • Lisa DausmanLisa Dausman Member Posts: 5,216
    edited 15 April, 2010
    Mol! :)) I even have a picture of it, will put it up after work. :D
  • Rusti SavageRusti Savage Long BeachMember Posts: 806
    edited 17 April, 2010
    You should record a video of it and play that "Rollin' rollin' rollin'" song over it. That would seriously make these rainy Northern Californa days better :))
  • Dawn HarmanDawn Harman SpeedwellMember Posts: 1,079
    edited 17 April, 2010
    Miss Puff used to chase Meow here around like that too. And he hated it. Now P.C. does the same thing to her. Karma works in this case. I do use a spray bottle of water as it is very stress full to all of us in the house after a while. It does help but has not stopped. I have found that if I distract P.C. with another toy, he leaves Puff alone. So good luck and please keep us informed.
  • carmen puertascarmen puertas glen ellen, san francisco bayMember Posts: 7
    edited 22 April, 2010
    Hi all. I am having the same problem with this new furball that came into my house. I am 9 years old and had an older adopted sister of 17 who passed away. My mom adopted this new fur bal, 7 months old and well I think it's a tornado and not a cat personally. The fur ball's name is KittyPuffpuff; mom did separate us for 2 weeks; now she is out of "her room" and loves to just chase me and make my life mfftttt hell. We haven't come to blows but I try to growl or hiss her away, or just run away. I was hoping for a friend, a new sister; instead I ended up with a tornado!!