Dear Catster reader,

Almost two years ago, we invested numerous resources and rebuilt the Catster community. With new hardware, software and personnel, we did our best to satisfy the many users who shared their thoughts, pictures, questions, and love for and of their pets with us and friends. It was a thriving community with many users. We hoped, however, there would be more like you.

Times and habits have changed and we are sad to announce that the Catster community will be closing down on July 20, 2019.

Catster magazine, www.catster.com and the associated social media sites are NOT shutting down. We encourage you to continue reading the content found in the pages of the magazine and the web sites, commenting through the mechanisms provided and sharing your ideas and comments with us and your fellow readers.

Instructions for accessing pet profiles were shared with everyone in 2017. The instructions can be found elsewhere within the forum. AFTER JULY 20TH, YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO ACCESS THIS CONTENT. And, effective immediately, we are no longer able to answer questions about the community.

Thank you for your support and we look forward to serving you through our magazine and website.

Cheers,
Catster

I like to ambush the boys and then run at them screaming

Amber SimmonAmber Simmon Member Posts: 2,703
edited 22 April, 2010 in Behavior & Training
Yeah. I have never in all my years heard a cat scream like this old bitty. She hides in places NO ONE can see her in and if the two boy cats or the dog walks by, she comes flying out screaming her head off. I don't know if she's trying to play or if she's guarding things. She's growling the whole time, but part of me thinks it's play. Any thoughts? I'm trying to get it on video. I thought I had her figured out, she calmed down for a couple months but now she's right back at it. :?

Comments

• Paula K-Paula K- New YorkMember Posts: 2,244
    edited 12 April, 2010
    Princess, in our experience with fosters, screaming is not usually a sign of play. It usually means "back off mister!" Perhaps one of the boys hurt her recently and now she's being extra cautious?
  • Amber SimmonAmber Simmon Member Posts: 2,703
    edited 12 April, 2010
    I have no idea. Half the time I don't know who starts it. For the most part, it seems to be her getting upset with them for getting too close. Like, if she's laying down behind the fan (her new fav spot). They'll walk by to get to the tree and she goes off. Last night, it was almost like they were playing chase. She kinda seemed like she was being playful but was growling the whole time. The others even look a bit confused about it lol I do know, after her and lil guy get into it and I break it up, BeBe usually comes running up and starts screwing with her. *I* can't even pet her. I prepare her food, she won't touch it unless BF gives it to her. Then he has to scratch her while she eats lol If I try petting her, she goes from being calm to ticked off real fast. Screaming, trying to hit me with her paws. We've had her...maybe 2 yrs? I got her from a guy that was abusing/neglecting her. SHe's just never liked me no matter what I do. Duh, I knew I got part of it on video. I have no idea what happened before I turned the camera on. I was in the other room when I heard her screaming. She was only growling when I got there though...
  • Paula K-Paula K- New YorkMember Posts: 2,244
    edited 12 April, 2010
    I couldn't see much in the video except that you're a beautiful kitty! I'm not sure what to suggest. It sounds like she's warning them off and wants to be left alone. Is she feeling well? Eating and pooping normally? Normal energy level?
  • janice lancasterjanice lancaster temple gaMember Posts: 2,505
    edited 12 April, 2010
    If you got her from a bad home she may never quite get over it. As long as there is no blood drawn, it's probably ok-- if BeBe is going right back to her, then it must not be bothering him too awfully much. . And some kitties who didn't learn better as babies do have a habit of running out to attack ; maybe it will eventually get better. You do use toys to play with her some, don't you? Beyond doing that to get her tired. I really don't have any idea. ETA...she's old, and black with a white spot on her belly--that means she should get to do whatever she wants to...;)
  • Amber SimmonAmber Simmon Member Posts: 2,703
    edited 22 April, 2010
    LOL! Boo! That's why we call her Princess, she can get away with murder most of the time. She's fine health wise, always been a bit like this. Comes and goes in waves though. Lil Guy and her really got into it last night. Two of the times, I saw her run up and attack him. The other time, I'm not sure what happened but he had her pinned in the corner of the couch and was just beating on her. They both darted when I got there. The times I saw her instigate it I put her in the bathroom for 10 mins to chill out. The time I wasn't sure I just crated them both for that time. uhmm she did so something really weird, it was like she was chasing a bug no one could see. I've seen cats do this but she seemed really out of it. Do you think that's something I should be concerned with? it was almost like she was hallucinating the way she was acting...