Chin Acne

Katie DillnerKatie Dillner Member Posts: 175
edited 23 April, 2010 in Cat Health
My cat Mason developed chin acne about 3 weeks ago. It started out as a small spot and has now expanded to covering most of his chin:( I took him into the vet on Monday and she put him on antibiotics. I was a bit surprised by this. I just thought she would prescribe ointment to put on his chin. She gave me benzoyl peroxide ointment to put on once a day but so far I haven\'t seen any improvement. I have a feeling it\'s probably from the dry food (he get a little bit of Purina Urinary Health dry and Weruva wet) but she dosen\'t want to take him off of it because of his crystal issue. Has anyone heard of prescribing antibiotics for chin acne? He eats out of a ceramic bowl which I wash daily.

Comments

• Paula K-Paula K- New YorkMember Posts: 2,244
    edited 29 January, 2010
    My first suggestion was going to be a metal or ceramic dish, but I guess that's not it. If he has crystals shouldn't he be on an all canned diet?
  • Katie DillnerKatie Dillner Member Posts: 175
    edited 29 January, 2010
    For the most part he is. He gets canned 3 times a day with an 1/8 cup dry at night. His ph went down on this regimen so the vet wants to keep him on it.
  • Rebecca NowakRebecca Nowak Orange County, NYMember Posts: 1,397
    edited 29 January, 2010
    Well, acne is caused by bacteria, so treating with antibiotics makes sense to me. I just double checked by Googling it, and sure enough acne seems to be often treated with antibiotics, both oral and topical. If it\'s not helping though you should let your vet know so that he/she can prescribe something else. Some MRSA skin infections can also look like pimples and need to be treated with different antibiotics.
  • Elizabeth MabardyElizabeth Mabardy Member Posts: 2,708
    edited 29 January, 2010
    Feline Acne: Mason, :( Oh, Kally Kat had 2 very nasty bouts of that Feline Acne. I neva, eva heard of it before! I took her to the Vets right away. At first I noticed a dried up bloody scab & thought maybe she hit her chin on something? :? Well, my Vet said oh, she has some Feline Acne. I said what? What do you mean? I never heard of it. She says just like some teenagers get. So, the first steps to this it’s usually in almost all cases due to just changing the pet’s food dishes to all flat glass dishes. No bowls even if their glass. Stainless Steel or glass water bowls should be fine, but not the food bowls, just flat all glass. Like, Smudge says yes, ;) that area where the food remains on the chin oils, fats from the food that’s where the bacteria starts. Plastic harbors bacteria & the fats, gravy or oils from either the dry kibbles or wet canned can stay on their chin areas especially long – haired cats. Now, cats cannot wash unda their chins like us hoomans can, so we or I have to wash that area to keep her clean. I will tell you what I had to do for Kally Kat per the Vet’s instructions. She showed me how to use a small fine tooth comb like a flea comb to scrape the black dirt off gently, you do this when her fur is dry not wet as the dirt will come off so much quicker. You’ll see all the black stuff on the table I use a white piece of Bounty paper towel. Then I wash the area with some OxyDex shampoo, it’s a Benzoyl Peroxide pets shampoo from the Vet or you can get it online. You just put a little dab on your finger & a little water, then you wash the affected area very gently, you don’t want to rub hard as it will only irritate her chin. Then you rinse off with clear water with a few wet nice & warm water fresh paper towels; I tried to rinse her at the sink with a little cup of water holy Kats! That wasn’t too successful. Dry the area gently & apply a litta dab of OxyDex Gel Topical Antibacterial cream for pets, on the affected areas only. I had to e – collar Kally Kat so she wouldn’t lick the cream off. You can also go to a drugstore to purchase a good quality 2% Benzoyl Peroxide cream. Even if a pet owner cannot afford to buy Professional shampoos & creams, using a mild fragrance – free Baby Aveeno baby wash is good, but no Dawn or dishwashing liquids. Dawn is great for removing dirt & grease, but it’s a detergent & it can be too harsh on that affected area. It took me about a week for it to clear up. My Vet said not to go to hard at it cleaning it like rubbing the area. She said to wash the affected area about 3 times a week as to give it a chance to heal. At first I washed her chin eveyday & I wasb't aware that I was aggravating & irritating it more. :? The flat glass dishes was the best changes I made that made all the difference. Now, when I brush her teeth every other day, I check that area to keep my eye on it. So far so gud! You need to tackle the skin eruption right away or it can get very infected & even reach the eye areas. Kally Kat’s Vet said she has large pores & long hair & that area is an area that cats need a little extra hoomans help! I’m sure yur Vet would prescribe an anti- biotic if they felt it was necessary, but not in all cases. Kally Kats Vet said proper hygiene & changing the food to flat glass dishes is the best way to go. Flat glass dishes, no plastics, no paper plates as they are usually coated in plastics. You know how cats are always marking their chins on everything including us hoomans lol… Just the marking & rubbing they are making contact & they are their worse enemies to that affected area unbeknownst to them! I’m gonna give you a website if you would like to visit for more information about Feline Acne & skin conditions. Oh, I read so much stuff everywhere. Again, yur family’s Vet is yur first choice in examining your furrbaby in giving a Professional proper medical diagnosis. I wish you well with this information. Let us know how you make out. You can Pawmail me if you like. I’m very interested in your prognosis & well - being. I went to Foster & Smith Vets online, as it's easy to read & understand & hope it will help you out more about Feline Acne. You can copy & paste this into your browser & you’ll find this to be very helpful. http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?c=1+2141&aid=2517 Keeping a chin upps furr yew! =; Kally Kat
    edited 29 January, 2010
    Thanks Kally Kat. I was using some of those pet bath wipes once a day but those didn't seem to help. The vet only told me to put the ointment on once a day and give the antibiotic twice a day. Nothing about cleaning his chin. When I took a peek at it today, it's not looking too good:( So now I'm afraid to put the ointment on in case it's irritating it even more. I would definitely be using a flat dish for him tomorrow, but I am also wondering if the acne could be caused by a food allergy. My female cat had chin acne when I first got her and found out she was allergic to fish. When I stopped feeding her foods with fish meal, her acne cleared up.
  • Greg StawinogaGreg Stawinoga So. HollandMember Posts: 1,000
    edited 29 January, 2010
    hi mason, sounds like you are as bad as we were last yr, we did the cleaning, washing, change dishes, nothing really work. finally, after another stop at the vet, we got a cream called Pyoben Gel. it is just like oxy10, once we started on that, we were just about cleared up in a week. with this, all our daddy had to do wash our chins, remove any scabs, pop any pimples, put the medicine on. it also help if you trim the fur around the infected area, so, you can get to the area. all four of us broke out, never did find the cause of it. today, we are pimple free. good luck. Sammie
  • kristina bkristina b Member Posts: 169
    edited 31 January, 2010
    Hi ~ I comb thrift stores every week for flat glass dishes for my 6cats. They break and need replacement; but are difficult to find. Where do you find them? Thanks!
  • Dawn HarmanDawn Harman SpeedwellMember Posts: 1,079
    edited 2 February, 2010
    Bravo ♥- Kally Kat- ♥ =D> I could not have said it any better! You are quiet right! And plastic dishes can also cause upper respiratory infections from the gasses that escape from them. For dogs they can cause there black noses to turn pink and get URI\'s. When working for Nutro at the stores, I tell a lot of people about plastic dishes. I remember this when I was in the Central Florida Kennel Club, and that was well over 30 years ago! Good luck and I know it can take a long time to clear up. Miss Puff here had one from eating out of a dish my Neighbor had outside. I asked her to switch dishes and now she uses a glass bowl , and cleans it every day. It seamed like it took for ever to clear up. Please do what your vet has told you to do. It may just take a while longer. Or call and ask for something different.
  • Molly StrothkampMolly Strothkamp MesaMember Posts: 1,381
    edited 2 February, 2010
    All the advice about bowls can definitely help. Also, in some cases chin acne can be a sign of allergies. If the change in feeding bowls doesn't help or other skin issues (itching, loss of fur, ear infections, etc.) develop, consider talking to your vet about possilbe food or environmental allergies.
  • Glenda McKeen NobleGlenda McKeen Noble Member Posts: 5
    edited 9 April, 2010
    Cats can get the acne from stress as well, has kitty been under anystress?? Lily got acne on her chin when we brought her home, I washed the area and put on bactroban ointment from the drug store, probably took 2 months to finally clear up. Sounds like your on the right track, I'm sure I'll clear up soon!
  • edited 9 April, 2010
    My cat Sassy recently had some chin acne. I was told by the vet to stop using any kind of plastic or ceramic bowls (I was using ceramic) and use stainless steel so I switched to stainless steel and used the ointment that was prescribed and she cleared up totally. I would try switching her food/water bowls to stainless steel. Good luck!
  • Natasha HinsbeeckNatasha Hinsbeeck Member Posts: 22
    edited 12 April, 2010
    My cat Leo also got chin acne. His case wouldnt respond to antibiotics or cleaning. My vet had to put him under aneasthetic twice where he would take dry ice and freeze the infected bits of skin. It was really painfull, but it worked. The extreme temprature killed the infection & bacteria. The second treatment was really only a precaution to make sure they had gotten all of the infection.
  • Lisa Kelley-MuscoLisa Kelley-Musco Boynton BeachMember Posts: 83
    edited 15 April, 2010
    I got this when I was younger, but I guess it wasn't too bad -- just 3 or 4 bumps on my chin at a time. My vet told mommy to just keep it clean and to change my bowl to a larger one that I could get into neater. She does remember something about china as well, versus plastic, but just went with the larger bowl instead. Just like human teenagers, I seem to have grown out of it. I'm the only one in our family that ever got it.
  • Toffy_VanessaToffy_Vanessa Member Posts: 4,074 ✭✭
    edited 17 April, 2010
    Mom recently noticed several small black spots on my chin. I'm going to the vet on Tuesday to find out if it's chin acne or something else. The vet tech diagnosed chin acne over the phone and said it's probably nothing to worry about, but Mom thought it would be best for the vet to see me. So, what exactly does chin acne look like? Can the spots be all black?
  • Lisa DaversLisa Davers SacramentoMember Posts: 3,642
    edited 18 April, 2010
    HappiCat, you can get nice cheap glass bowls and plates ate DollarTree and Walmart
  • Greg StawinogaGreg Stawinoga So. HollandMember Posts: 1,000
    edited 18 April, 2010
    yes vanessa, they can be black. you sound like you have kitty acne. we got some cream from the vet, if your interested, or any other kitty lets us know, we will dig it out.
  • Beastie_and_the_BoysBeastie_and_the_Boys Marquette, MI / ChicagoMember Posts: 17,806 ✭✭✭
    edited 18 April, 2010
    There are some ceramic glazes which can harbor bacteria the same way that plastic does. Stainless steel might be better, though metals can trigger reactions in anykitty with a sensitivity. My brother, Arthur, had problems with severe chin acne until our mom finally switched us to glass dishes. The good news is that glass bowls/plates can be relatively inexpensive! =; Wishing you luck, Mason! Keep us posted!
  • Linda AbramsLinda Abrams Joanna, SC 29351Member Posts: 555 ✭✭
    edited 18 April, 2010
    What about using Corell from Corning Ware?
  • Shelley CoxShelley Cox CarbondaleMember Posts: 2,752
    edited 20 April, 2010
    It's Stella. I have developed chin acne, even though our person was feeding us from glass plates or disposable paper ones. But now we have a new problem--ants! Our person can keep the ants out of our food dishes by setting them in a pie pan full of water, but she had to switch to bowls. She was using those pyrex glass dishes. It could also be stress but it's my own fault because I am always starting fights with the other cats, especially Queenie, because we both want to be top cat. [The guy cats don't really care who is top cat--Delyte thinks he is the top cat and Fluff is scared of his own tail.] Our person will try to clean the area and get the ointments. She says it spoils my beauty and shows up a lot because I have a white chin.
  • Debra PietrowskiDebra Pietrowski Sussex CountyMember Posts: 1,833
    edited 20 April, 2010
    Besides glass, you can use stainless steel which is usually recommended, but I dont think Ive ever seen a stainless steel plate. We eat out of plates also..and have never had chin acne. Maybe we should start making stainless steel plates:-/ Anyway GOOD ANSWER Kally Kat !
  • Debra PietrowskiDebra Pietrowski Sussex CountyMember Posts: 1,833
    edited 20 April, 2010
    I googled stainless steel plates and lookie, kids plates and stuff all in stainless steel so for 8.95 you can make a kiddie plate into a kittie plate.. i tink im gonna by one ! http://lifewithoutplastic.com/boutique/childrens-stainless-steel-plate-diameter-p-231.html ~a~
  • Eva viezelEva viezel MontrealMember Posts: 3,008
    edited 20 April, 2010
    Thanks,Kyande Kisu! Cool plates! A bonus for us that the site is in Canada! Off to order now :) ;c;;c;;c;;c; Smooches Milo
  • Renee RyzRenee Ryz Member Posts: 2,164
    edited 20 April, 2010
    A good place to check for stainless plates might be the camping dept. When my son was in Scouts, we got him a set for his outings. Haven't looked recently, but it is a thought. I even thought of checking a restaurant supply type place like GFS which you do not need a membership or Sam's they may have glass dishes. I am going to Sam's this weekend, so I will check what they have & let everyone know. I am changing my kitties over from plastic bowls myself. I currently have one little stainless dish that was a baby plate from when my kids were small. That is a thought too. I will keep ya posted on my finds.
    edited 20 April, 2010
    So I switched to glass dishes a couple months ago and no dice. He still has the acne so I'm almost positive it's from the Purina food. Luckily his acne is not getting worse but it still doesn't look pretty:( He does not cooperate when I try to clean his chin, I'm lucky if I can even get a dab of ointment on. I'm going to talk to the vet and see about giving him a bit of Blue Buffalo's basics dry food for cats with food allergies. He gets mostly wet anyway but I feed him a small amount at night to tide him over until morning. Thanks for all the info everyone!:)
  • Susie, Mike Yang, VeldboerSusie, Mike Yang, Veldboer VancouverMember Posts: 4,115
    edited 23 April, 2010
    If the acne was mostly “black heads” you can get rid of it easily in a natural way without antibiotic. Brush the acne with a flea comb and then clean the whole area with a few drops of betadine diluted in ½ cup of warm water. Do this at least once a day. Wipe Mason’s chin with warm water whenever you get a chance. If he leaves residue on his mouth after eating, wipe it off immediately. The idea is to keep the area as clean as possible. When I first adopted my second cat TinTin he had chin acne, too. We did this for a couple of weeks (perhaps less than 2 weeks I don’t quite remember) and it went away. If the acne is infected you can try applying diluted “bee propolis” drops on it. It is a natural remedy for disinfection. It is safe to eat (for human or animals). It is a good alternative to ointments. The only draw back is that it’s yucky brown and it stays on the skin. It may be even uglier than the acne but it works. :)) We use it whenever our cats have an open wound. Nemo's staff--Susie
  • Susie, Mike Yang, VeldboerSusie, Mike Yang, Veldboer VancouverMember Posts: 4,115
    edited 23 April, 2010
    Hmm...I guess my method is difficult to do if Mason doesn't like it being cleaned. TinTin, being so affection-seeking, saw the whole ordeal as "huggy time". Still, if you get a chance, try the diluted betadine. It really works.