Litterbox? NOOOOO!

Rusti SavageRusti Savage Long BeachMember Posts: 806
edited 27 April, 2010 in Behavior & Training
So the good news is Mommy found a new awesome house so we can live all together again. The less good news (in my opinion) is that she wants to make me an indoor only cat, which I have not been since I was a couple weeks old. I absolutely LOATHE litterboxes and outside-trained myself so as to keep my potty business away from the house. Mommy didn't mind this because just smelling cat urine + litter makes her eyes swell up and her face break out in a bad rash. However, because this is a drug and drinking heavy college town and I already have disabilities, and because there are a couple loose big dogs in the new neighborhood, Mommy wants me inside only. That means litterbox. Can any cats offer me advice as how to become okay with using one again? Also, because of my size and Mommy's allergic reactions, what kind of "box"/litter should we use? Are there covered boxes big enough? Because my leg is broken I can't turn around in a tight space very well. This is going to be very hard for me. BUT I get to be reunited with my Mommy and I'll do anything for her, and anything to snuggle with her every night again.

Comments

• Paula K-Paula K- New YorkMember Posts: 2,244
    edited 26 April, 2010
    Hi Attila! Concats on your new home! If you give us some more info, maybe somebody can suggest something. Is your leg in a cast? What kind of litter have you tried that mom is allergic to? We had a really big foster who wasn't so comfy in our puny boxes so mom got one of those oversize ones that he seemed to like better. That might help your leg but I don't know what to suggest for litter. We use WBCL but I know some people don't like the smell of it.
  • Renee RyzRenee Ryz Member Posts: 2,164
    edited 26 April, 2010
    You might even try a tote bin - they are bigger than a litterbox, and if needed, your Mom can cut the side down some for you. I am so glad you get to be with your mom again, and all these other things will work out ok. We use Tidy cat, but are looking to change, because Mom says it is way too perfumey - so we can't really suggest a litter yet. Try & put one of your poops in the new litter box, it may help to convince you to go back there. Good luck with everything
  • Stephanie JohnsonStephanie Johnson Member Posts: 556
    edited 26 April, 2010
    Inside kitties have fun, too, so no worries there. ;) About the litter box, I'm with Tigger - get a BIG box. Several, actually, and put them throughout your place. Be sure they are somewhere quiet and calm. I'm thinking maybe start with real dirt in the boxes instead of litter, and slowly mix in the litter you want to use as Attila gets used using the box. I like the idea of "planting" the boxes with some of her doo-doo so she knows to go there. Pay no mind to your neighbors wondering what you're doing as you dig around through your yard. :r As for litter (when you're ready for the real stuff), I like Dr. Elsey's (unscented, no dust, good clumps) or World's Best (low dust, good clumps, but can have a funky odor - and little "softer" in texture). Good luck! :^:
  • Rusti SavageRusti Savage Long BeachMember Posts: 806
    edited 26 April, 2010
    Thanks for the advice everyone! BK, no, my leg isn't in a cast, but my femur is snapped in half and it's being held together by scar tissue (x-ray is on my profile), so it doesn't move quite as well in small spaces. Somehow I'm still bringing in birds though (Mommy says that has to stop :( )! As far as littler brands Mom has tried, she has used every one that Safeway and the local grocery store offer, including Feline Pine which is supposed to be really good. Many of Mommy's friends have cats and litterboxes and they all cause the same reaction. But the idea of real dirt is very appealing! What about sand? The house I am currently in - Mommy's parent's - is on the beach, so I'm used to going in the sand anyway. Would that be too dusty though?
  • Stephanie JohnsonStephanie Johnson Member Posts: 556
    edited 26 April, 2010
    Attila, if you're already used to going in sand, this isn't going to be a hard transition! =; I have no idea what the clumping qualities are of real sand, but don't see why you couldn't use it in the house. With it being so fine though, you're definitely going to want to put down some litter mats in front of the boxes and be prepared to sweep/vacuum often. :)
  • Rusti SavageRusti Savage Long BeachMember Posts: 806
    edited 27 April, 2010
    Mommy can't figure it out, but ever since I was a little kitten I HATED litterboxes. I think it's more the box than the texture. That's why she's concerned. If only we had the space for an indoor sandbox, purrhaps with some toy cars in it and a G.I. Joe, then I wouldn't mind :))
  • edited 27 April, 2010
    Don\'t limit yourself to a pet store litterbox... you want something you can move around in. Think outside the box. ;) Go to your nearest Walmart/Target & hit the storage aisles... you should be able to find some nice big Rubbermaid-type boxes that you can use. If you are accustomed to beach sand, I don\'t see why that wouldn\'t work for your litterbox. It might mean dumping & cleaning a little more often, but it should be do-able. Just be conscientious about where your dirty sand goes, away from water sources and runoff gullies.
  • Renee RyzRenee Ryz Member Posts: 2,164
    edited 27 April, 2010
    An idea for the sand...the big hardware type stores (menards, home depot) have play sand in bags. It is sterilized and safe for kids sandboxes, so at least you know there won't be anything icky in there. It is fine & white. I think now it is around $6 a bag (been a while since my kids were small)
  • Constance EdwardsConstance Edwards JacksonvilleMember Posts: 10
    edited 27 April, 2010
    Choose a cat litter free from heavy fragrances. Cats find these types of strong scents offensive and may avoid using the litter box. http://connies-cat-secrets.com
  • Lisa DausmanLisa Dausman Member Posts: 5,216
    edited 27 April, 2010
    The key is a big box, bedded deep, like 6 inches, I like Loki's idea of the big storage bins, excellent idea, never thought of that. I use Cats Pride, the scoopable one, its the consistancy of fine sand, and I mix with one box baking soda, for the smell. If you bed deep, their poops/pee, get buried deep, and its always clean for them, when they step in there. :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D