Dear Catster reader,

Almost two years ago, we invested numerous resources and rebuilt the Catster community. With new hardware, software and personnel, we did our best to satisfy the many users who shared their thoughts, pictures, questions, and love for and of their pets with us and friends. It was a thriving community with many users. We hoped, however, there would be more like you.

Times and habits have changed and we are sad to announce that the Catster community will be closing down on July 20, 2019.

Catster magazine, www.catster.com and the associated social media sites are NOT shutting down. We encourage you to continue reading the content found in the pages of the magazine and the web sites, commenting through the mechanisms provided and sharing your ideas and comments with us and your fellow readers.

Instructions for accessing pet profiles were shared with everyone in 2017. The instructions can be found elsewhere within the forum. AFTER JULY 20TH, YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO ACCESS THIS CONTENT. And, effective immediately, we are no longer able to answer questions about the community.

Thank you for your support and we look forward to serving you through our magazine and website.

Cheers,
Catster

Cats have been fighting

Joan GriffyJoan Griffy FayettevilleMember Posts: 3
edited 28 April, 2010 in Behavior & Training
My cats have lived peacefully with the occasional play fight for two years now. Recently my cats have been fighting a lot. I know that they have had play fights in the past and even fights for dominance. However, this time, the fighting and standoffs have been going on for a couple of days now. The older cat, Freya now seems scared of Alana. Every time Alana comes near her, she will start to growl and hissing giving the appearance of wanting to be left alone. Alane is not getting the message and wants to press her advantage. I have taken to spraying them both with water to stop the fights as well as separating them. I'm open to any advice that will help me solve this problem.

Comments

• Cathy AudorffCathy Audorff Janesville, WisMember Posts: 3,812 ✭✭
    edited 24 April, 2010
    My news sisfur and I has beens fighting too. But part of that is beings new to each others. Since you has been together a whiles, maybe something is wrongs with one of you physically? Maybe a vet visit is in orders? Especially if one of you is acting scared and hissy! If nothings is physically wrongs, there are products out theres to help. We has been trying the cat calming collars that have pheremones in thems. They were helpings a little, but this mornings we weres fighting again. So Mommie bought somes Rescue Remedy and gaves it to us in tuna juice!! We lapped its up. And things has been pretty goods this afternoon. Otherwise, maybe stayings separate from each others for a while and then gettings re-introduced gradually mights help? I hopes you starts to get along (and I hopes we do too!)
  • Joan GriffyJoan Griffy FayettevilleMember Posts: 3
    edited 24 April, 2010
    Yeah, I'm thinking that a doctor visit might be in order... Mom says I'm feeling a little warm to her. Hopefully it's nothing bad though.
  • Joan GriffyJoan Griffy FayettevilleMember Posts: 3
    edited 28 April, 2010
    Mom doesn't know what to do with us. Freya is still growling and hissing at me whenever I get near her. The vet said that she's fine though, perfectly healthy. If there's something we both want from mom (ie. kitty treats) at the same time, we can get along briefly, but as soon as mom puts the treat bag away, we go back into fighting mode. I'm getting tired of not even being able to look at my sister without her growling at me.