Dear Catster reader,

Almost two years ago, we invested numerous resources and rebuilt the Catster community. With new hardware, software and personnel, we did our best to satisfy the many users who shared their thoughts, pictures, questions, and love for and of their pets with us and friends. It was a thriving community with many users. We hoped, however, there would be more like you.

Times and habits have changed and we are sad to announce that the Catster community will be closing down on July 20, 2019.

Catster magazine, www.catster.com and the associated social media sites are NOT shutting down. We encourage you to continue reading the content found in the pages of the magazine and the web sites, commenting through the mechanisms provided and sharing your ideas and comments with us and your fellow readers.

Instructions for accessing pet profiles were shared with everyone in 2017. The instructions can be found elsewhere within the forum. AFTER JULY 20TH, YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO ACCESS THIS CONTENT. And, effective immediately, we are no longer able to answer questions about the community.

Thank you for your support and we look forward to serving you through our magazine and website.

Cheers,
Catster

Has anyone ever tried natural remedies, besides Feliway, for anxiety/agression in cats?

Ellie CarterEllie Carter SeattleMember Posts: 2,252
edited 15 May, 2010 in Behavior & Training
This has been an ongoing problem in our house. Sebastian constantly attacks me whenever mom tries to spend any time with me at all. If she pets me, I get attacked. If she tries to hold me, I get attacked. If she plays with me, I get attacked. Mom has tried Feliway and has talked to the vet. That vet basically brushed her off and said his aggression was her fault. Mom feels that it is something more, and deeper. Maybe more closely related to separation anxiety, since he will chew electrical cords if mom is gone for long periods of time. Mom was reading where different herbal essences could possibly help with the anxiety/jealousy. We were wondering if anyone else has tried this, and if so, did it help?

Comments

• Ellie CarterEllie Carter SeattleMember Posts: 2,252
    edited 28 April, 2010
    Hello?
  • Karen ParsonsKaren Parsons GriffithMember Posts: 821
    edited 28 April, 2010
    heard electrical cords can cause behavior issues...it zaps them, after all....I know it sounds crazy, but I know i read about it somewhere.....find a new vet......also, play with Sebastian first...tire him out.....hope that's a start for you....
    edited 28 April, 2010
    That actually really does not surprise me. Sebastian mainly chews on wires when mom is gone for long periods at a time. Possibly a separation anxiety issue.
  • Beastie_and_the_BoysBeastie_and_the_Boys Marquette, MI / ChicagoMember Posts: 17,807 ✭✭✭
    edited 29 April, 2010
    We've had some luck with Bach's Rescue Remedy. Just put a couple of drops in the communal water bowl. It seems to help. http://www.bachflower.com/Pets.htm
  • Faye DufourFaye Dufour Destrehan, LA/New Orleans areaMember Posts: 4,648
    edited 29 April, 2010
    What could keep Sebastion from chewing cords are "Cord Covers", sold at electronic and office supply stores. They are tubes of heavy duty rubber that electrical cords can be run through and keep cats (and other pets) from chewing on them. Good Luck!!! The New Orleans Kitties
  • Kitty_Pryde_and_JackKitty_Pryde_and_Jack los angelesMember Posts: 317 ✭✭✭
    edited 29 April, 2010
    We have tried what seems like evfurrry thing in our house 'cause my brofur constantly chases me even when I am giving him the clear LEAVE ME ALONE signs like hissing at him and running away and growling, etc...you names it! We have used Bach rescue remedy, which you can get now at some pet stores, GNC and even the grocery store if you live in a bigger city, and it helps a little, we have used other flower essences called Spirit Essences, ones from a place called Green Hope Farms, and we were eating these calming treats from the vet doc and from the pet store. They all seemed to either help the first couple of days and then nothing. We also went to three different vets and decided that the third one actually listened to Mommy. The first one thought it was aggression and that we needed new permanent homes, even though Indy and I do like each other 1/2 of the time. Also they were not good with kitties and were really horrible to Indy so of course he got upset at the vet doc doc and they blamed him saying he was just aggressive...I would be too if the tech poked me NINE times to give me a shot!!! The next vet was recommended to us, but we don't really like him and Mommy didn't get a good vibe, plus they never deal with behavior stuffs unless you wanna spend over 600 dollars to do email behavioral analysis, which is nuts and how can they really understand tha pawroblem without seeing it! the new vet has two cats, just like we are and suggested all these things like brushing with the same brush, like other catster mommies suggested, and separating us when Mommy isn't home and individual and group play time (which we was doing anyway) and eventually thought we should try prozac for animals called reconcile. I definitely don't hiss at Indy now whenever he looks at me like I was befur, but he also isn't trying ta attack me evfurry time I move. We still have some moments, but they have been reduced a lot. Try the bach stuff first for sure-they have different ones too for certain situations. I would try spirit essences again and actually Mommy was just going to get us more since it seems to help sometimes...we just need to be consistant. Good luck!

Kitty Pryde and Jack

edited 29 April, 2010
    Wow! Great information! Thanks so much! Yes, I have invested in cord covers and electrical tape, and have become quite clever as to how to hide the cords from Sebastian. It is only certain ones that he likes, so those are the main ones I focus on. I will definitely try the Rescue Remedy. Will have to look into the other ones that were mentioned also. If going natural does not work, I will try something else.
  • Gimli_TGMGimli_TGM HurstMember Posts: 29,929 ✭✭
    edited 29 April, 2010
    I've also tried Rescue Remedy, but it has been years ago since I've used it. It helped calm Isis down--she's a tortie and she gets very stressed out (Gimli likes to irritate her).
    edited 1 May, 2010
    So we got some Rescue Remedy, do we use it all the time? or just when it is needed?
  • Valerie DurhamValerie Durham Member Posts: 8,724
    edited 1 May, 2010
    I have tried Rescue Remedy, and it had no effect whatsover on my cats. Just as humans have idiosyncratic reactions to medications, so do cats. Try RR and, if it doesn't seem to work, try to find another treatment option. Antidepressants seem to work better than herbal medications--statistically speaking.
  • Teresa ConcannonTeresa Concannon Member Posts: 7,378
    edited 1 May, 2010
    They now have Rescue Remedy for pets without the alcohol. It\'s worth a try and sometimes works for us. We\'ve also tried other Bach flower essences and Spirit essences without much luck. Perhaps Sebastian is jealous of you? My brother Pete and I loved each other and always got along except at certain times. He always had to be greeted and talked to first, petted first, fed first, sit closest to mommy, sleep closest to mommy, etc. Otherwise, he\'d attack me! Mommy tried to change things but it didn\'t work. As long as I was second fiddle, peace reigned. If mommy played with me, he\'d go after me and mess up everything! Mommy found out that if she played with Pete first and tired him out, then he\'d leave us alone to play. I don\'t know if your mommy has tried paying attention to Sebastian first or even if it\'ll work, but it might be worth a try?
  • Alice KehmAlice Kehm LenhartsvilleMember Posts: 159
    edited 1 May, 2010
    When using Rescue Remendy you must give it to the pet all the time . My aunt who has a dog has to give it to her all the time . Also there is another company that mom uses that makes herbal remendies it is called Bottled Blessings and you can buy it over the internet .
  • Valerie DurhamValerie Durham Member Posts: 8,724
    edited 3 May, 2010
    I should add that the only one of my cats who has had aggression problems is Harvey--who had them when he was being campaigned in cat shows for a year and a half. I tried herbal essences and tranquilizers, and some mysterious medicine a cat judge gave me (that worked the best). Harvey likes to punch the kittens here, but that is different from his trying to kill cat show judges--he's just trying to prove that he is the Alpha cat. And it's said, for what it's worth (and I don't believe it) that red tabbies are really cowards who tend to act out to cover their cowardice.
  • Lisa DausmanLisa Dausman Member Posts: 5,216
    edited 3 May, 2010
    Actually, red males, are very laid back, its the red female, that has the 'tude, the red gene. Bumpurr and the kittens are very laid back and very well behaved, couldn't ask for better cats. Glad to see ya broke out of jail, mol, we missed ya!!!!!!!! :-h:-h:-h:-h:-h:-h :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D
  • Rob robertRob robert Braintree,MaMember Posts: 8
    edited 7 May, 2010
    I have only seen it work for us when in a crate traveling...
    edited 10 May, 2010
    Thanks everyone for your responses. So far the Rescue Remedy has not seemed to work very well. Is this something that builds up over time? Or is it a lost cause for me to keep trying?
  • Jane JohnstonJane Johnston NMMember Posts: 2,957
    edited 15 May, 2010
    I've also heard of using lavender collars (herbal calming collars). I personally haven' t had any luck with rescue remedy. I have also heard of people having very good luck with Feliway. I have no idea why your vet just wrote it off. BTW, lots of stimulation does wonders for anxious kitties. Padfoot has a very intense work out daily with me (and Da Bird). It seems to help him a lot. --des