Dear Catster reader,

Almost two years ago, we invested numerous resources and rebuilt the Catster community. With new hardware, software and personnel, we did our best to satisfy the many users who shared their thoughts, pictures, questions, and love for and of their pets with us and friends. It was a thriving community with many users. We hoped, however, there would be more like you.

Times and habits have changed and we are sad to announce that the Catster community will be closing down on July 20, 2019.

Catster magazine, www.catster.com and the associated social media sites are NOT shutting down. We encourage you to continue reading the content found in the pages of the magazine and the web sites, commenting through the mechanisms provided and sharing your ideas and comments with us and your fellow readers.

Instructions for accessing pet profiles were shared with everyone in 2017. The instructions can be found elsewhere within the forum. AFTER JULY 20TH, YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO ACCESS THIS CONTENT. And, effective immediately, we are no longer able to answer questions about the community.

Thank you for your support and we look forward to serving you through our magazine and website.

Cheers,
Catster

A new Friend for Buddy.....

Penny McCaffreyPenny McCaffrey HolmesMember Posts: 25
edited 1 June, 2010 in Choosing the Right Cat
From Buddy\'s mom --- I have a question about adopting another cat. I would love some advice as I am struggling a bit with the decision! Buddy is my current boy, a tuxedo who was adopted as a stray back in November 2008. He is probably a bit over 2 years old. We had him neutered and he is de-clawed (front paws only). He is a beautiful boy who has come a long way since being adopted. He is friendly and not especially fearful (except of really loud noises like the vacuum). He does nip, but only when he is being petted too long; he seems to get over-stimulated easily in that way. We have become familiar with how long IS how long and cut our cuddle sessions short before he over-reacts. He was found in a colony with a small group of cats behind a hospital. His eye was seriously injured or infected and my brother took him to a vet to have him cared for. He is very healthy, loves to eat, uses his litter box consistently, does not spray and stays inside. I think he may have been a pet before, because he adapted to inside living very well. I would love to find a companion for him. I have done a lot of research about this, but have found conflicting advice. I am thinking that he might do best with a younger (or near his age) cat, perhaps a female, who is known to get along well with other cats and who matches his energy level. I guess he would be fine with a male as well as long as the male was neutered and known to be a sweetie (like my late Casey!). I would love to adopt a kitten, but there are so many wonderful adult cats that need homes, I cannot in good conscience do that (unless one finds his/her way to me, as has happened so often in the past!). I also love the seniors, but I fear that Buddy’s energy level would be too overwhelming to them. Is there any way to really know if a resident cat will accept a new friend? Does the fact that he was in a colony make him likelier to be amenable to other cats? Or does that not matter? There are really no cats in my neighborhood (lots of dogs!) so I have never seen how he reacts to them. He is okay when we go to the vet (and he boards there when we are on vacation). He gets a lot of attention there because he was brought in as a very sick stray, so he, of course, eats that up! I would welcome your opinions and thoughts! Many thanks!

Comments

• Paula K-Paula K- New YorkMember Posts: 2,244
    edited 29 May, 2010
    Buddy, I think one reason you see conflicting advice is that every cat is different! Not only that, but the same cat will get along with one kitty and not another. We've had very good luck mixing fixed males while fostering - females seem to be more hissy and less social - but you never know. You may want to find a local rescue group that will let you "foster with intent". That means you take home a foster with the intent of adopting them to see if it works out. If it doesn't you can "trade" the foster for another until you get the right match. Sorry, it sounds worse than it is! Because even if it doesn't work out you've given the foster a break from the cage and the chance to live in a house for a while. You have to give them a few days, if not weeks, to let them work out their initial reactions. It's funny, even though mom calls me The Ambassador 'cause I like all kitties, I definitely like some more than others. So even if the first match doesn't work out, you shouldn't give up! Good luck and keep us posted!
  • Penny McCaffreyPenny McCaffrey HolmesMember Posts: 25
    edited 29 May, 2010
    From Buddy's mom--- Thanks for the idea! I was working with a great rescue until Buddy decided to adopt us first! I will check to see if this is a possibility!
  • Timmy_TomcatTimmy_Tomcat Plymouth Meeting 19462Member Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭
    edited 29 May, 2010
    Hey that is my Name Purrs. I was added to a family of two young Tom Cats who were both friendly to others. Myself I did not really get along for a bit and just stayed aloof.(Maybe a year) Now Toby is the wild child and a bit much to take at my age but Tim really is fun and we play daily. At my age I need to remember to get plenty of exercise to keep healthy. We are thinking of adding a spot for someone who is in need and have the same conflict of Kitten or Oldster? We are leaning toward an older as they have a tougher time finding a home and we may also be doing some special needs work. We are Purring for you!:^:
  • Penny McCaffreyPenny McCaffrey HolmesMember Posts: 25
    edited 1 June, 2010
    Hey that is my Name Purrs. I was added to a family of two young Tom Cats who were both friendly to others. Myself I did not really get along for a bit and just stayed aloof.(Maybe a year) Now Toby is the wild child and a bit much to take at my age but Tim really is fun and we play daily. At my age I need to remember to get plenty of exercise to keep healthy. We are thinking of adding a spot for someone who is in need and have the same conflict of Kitten or Oldster? We are leaning toward an older as they have a tougher time finding a home and we may also be doing some special needs work. I wish you a lot of good luck too! My mom went to Pet Smart the other day and looked at some nice cats that a rescue group is fostering. She told me a few of them looked like me! Probably not quite as handsome, though....haha! Anyway, I know she likes tabbies a lot, so I am guessing that is what she is really looking for, even if she does not know it yet. A new friend would be cool! It will be hard to share my toys, but I will try to be a good boy! I might even share my window seat...sometimes!