Comments

• CalvinCalvin ScottsdaleMember Posts: 8,818 ✭✭✭
    edited 30 May, 2010
    We've noticed that too, Lucy!

The Cats in the Clover
    Samoa, Calvin, Violet, Gleek, Spunky, Sugar, Vivien, Newman, & Inky

• Mietzi_KatzeMietzi_Katze IowaMember Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭
    edited 30 May, 2010
    I found the "Community Homepage" button. Sorry, I didn't know it was there. Now when I'm on my Community Homepage, there are my and Timo's picture on the left. But the names underneath the photos say "Katze" and "Katze". I know there are cats that have longer names than we have. If the whole name doesn't fit could you please display just our first names instead of our middle names? Thank you. Mietzi and Timo (Katze)
  • Julie VentrigliaJulie Ventriglia Member Posts: 2,923
    edited 30 May, 2010
    Yes Lucy, that is another new thing that is happening...
  • Tiffany McConnellTiffany McConnell OmahaMember Posts: 30,862
    edited 30 May, 2010
    Catster is no longer for the cats..... it's for the people. :?
  • Hazel_LucyHazel_Lucy PurrsvilleMember Posts: 6,156 ✭✭✭
    edited 30 May, 2010
    And it's for the ADVERTISERS.
  • FelixFelix Member Posts: 45,573 ✭✭✭
    edited 30 May, 2010
    Lucy, that just happened to us, too! We accepted a friend request and we got the e-mail notification. In fact, on the address line, it shows the message being sent to another person at my mom's e-mail address. Mom forwarded the message to Catster and told them the problem. I understand that there will be computer "glitches" like this when a website undergoes major changes and I can put up with that. Such things will generally be corrected. I also appreciate that HQ is addressing some of the complaints and making some fixes. But the major concerns are not being addressed, it seems. As has been pointed out several times, people coming to this site for the first time are not going to realize Catster's true nature. They're going to think it's just an informational site. It makes no sense for Catster to put the "Join Catster" box on the community home page - it needs to be on the main home page in a prominent place. Many newcomers are not going to find that community page. It took me, a longtime member, a whole day to find it! It sure looks like the community is no longer as important as it was. It's fine to provide advice and information. But one of the unique aspects of this site is that much of that advice/information is provided not by articles from "experts," but by other pet owners who share their experiences and can relate to what you're going through. That's one thing I've liked about Catster in addition to the social and fun things. Secondly, so many members have raised concerns about the Nutro advertising that HQ really needs to respond to this. I realize that the site needs advertising revenue to operate and that means there are going to be ads on the site - I have no problem with that. But if there are legitimate ethical concerns about an advertiser then Catster needs to acknowledge and address those concerns.
  • Molly StrothkampMolly Strothkamp MesaMember Posts: 1,381
    edited 30 May, 2010
    Felix, I agree with your concerns. I wrote a diary entry about it a couple of days ago and Top Cat Ted read it and left a really detailed and thoughtful comment that talks about the Catster Community. I think HQ is going to add some kind of "Join Here" promotion/link on the new homepage. Here is the link to the diary and comments if you would like to read them: * Diary Link *
  • LilyLily BranfordMember Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭
    edited 31 May, 2010
    Meow, Ishtar, you are right. I am not my humans' avatar here. In fact, my humans are my avatars in the world outside my palace.
  • Lindsay RoweLindsay Rowe ArcticMember Posts: 1,776
    edited 31 May, 2010
    WE HATE IT! We only com here once a month anymore anyway, but today we wanted to give rosettes to new kitties, but...HOW DO WE FIND THE NEW KITTIES! Where are the strolls? :?
  • Molly StrothkampMolly Strothkamp MesaMember Posts: 1,381
    edited 31 May, 2010
    I'm not sure if the changes to the photo uploader were before or after last week's *big* change but I just used it for the first time in awhile and it works SO much better now. It used to take a really long time to load my photo account pages, remove photos, and upload new ones and it seems to be working quickly and smoothly now. Thanks for fixing that!
    edited 31 May, 2010
    If you want to keep white for the informational part of the site that's ok, but not for the Catster Community. It hurts and one cannot see the Diamond rosettes given because they too are white. Pls fix.
  • AshPoGusAshPoGus AlbuquerqueMember Posts: 7,041 ✭✭✭
    edited 31 May, 2010
    Betzy, I couldn\'t find the strolls at first, either. Make sure you\'re logged in. Then click on the orange Community button. On the drop-down list from that button, click on \"See the Cats.\" That takes you to the strolls and you\'ll find the \"Recently Added\" stroll there. If you want to find a specific stroll that isn\'t shown there, go to the bottom of the page where it says: For more combinations and custom strolls check out Advanced Search! Click on the \"Advanced Search\" link. On that page, go to the bottom and put in whatever \"photo tag\" stroll you want to find.
  • MARY HEFFERNANMARY HEFFERNAN Valley of The MoonMember Posts: 13,688
    edited 31 May, 2010
    This is embarrassing. I could say the entire new site style is embarrassing, but I will say only, I couldn\'t even find my own page!! I am sorry to read that newbies are having trouble, and one new member said he wouldn\'t have known what Catster was about, for Great Kat\'s sake, if he hadn\'t hung around to find out it is for Cats...and would not pay for Plus if he can\'t understand the system. ...well, let\'s be creative about managing what appears to be chaos, and ENJOY!
  • AshPoGusAshPoGus AlbuquerqueMember Posts: 7,041 ✭✭✭
    edited 31 May, 2010
    VIJAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYYY!!!!!!!!!! Glad you found your way this far!
  • Nicole DenleyNicole Denley ChattanoogaMember Posts: 17,597
    edited 31 May, 2010
    Gave mom a bad headache.:r
  • Shelley CoxShelley Cox CarbondaleMember Posts: 2,752
    edited 31 May, 2010
    This is Delyte. Our person, who is not the most techologically expert, is having a hard time with the new system. But the hardest is that at least half the time when she goes to the home page, she cannot get the community page to open at all--there is an error message. The only reason she is on now is that she had recently saved a cat's personal page after gifting them, and was able to get onto the forums from here. She has not been able to see if she has any messages or anything on the Community home page since yesterday. We know that they recommended saving the Community home page directly, but you have to be able to get on it to save it!
  • edited 31 May, 2010
    ha ha... us, too, Delyte! The CT had to do a \"search\" which went to *sigh* Google! to get to our pages because the Community thingy didn\'t work. Do we just bookmark our own pages and get in that way? aak aak aak be bop
  • SterlingAndTheSTeamSterlingAndTheSTeam Mount OliveMember Posts: 41,262 ✭✭✭
    edited 31 May, 2010
    We, too, cannot get to the Community on the first try. :? Try refreshing the page, then click on Community. That works for us.
  • Calico Junction SanctuaryCalico Junction Sanctuary Virginia (Shenandoah Valley)Member Posts: 111
    edited 1 June, 2010
    We miss our old backgrounds and fun things we had. A lot of work gone. Girl Human is sad. We miss all our friends. We are all stressed here at the Junction. Change is good when it is for the better, but we fail to see the BETTER. Bad choices are not always an improvement. Shame on you at Catster. Sad faces at the Junction.
  • Humphrey HauntedHumphrey Haunted CaliforniaMember Posts: 10,753
    edited 1 June, 2010
    It ish furry busy and cluttered and not easy to find things on and the horrible harsh UGLY white everywhere ish furry hard on Mommy's eyes and quite damaging. We ish not shpendning sho much time here now bc of it - alsho shome of our bestest friends cannot log into a group they ish in with ush even tho they ish members and we misses them furry much! :-/ We loved the original home page bc it wash sho easy to use and yew could finds things furry easily - now? It ish a big ugly confusing mess - and we dun think anyone likes it so why did they change it? They never asked ush what we would like too and that bothers ush! I dun wants to log in to see Breed Of The Day - we wants to see COTD, COTW and the diary picks of the day like before. We ish not happy campers. :( ::o :?
    edited 1 June, 2010
    And they need to get rid of the Nutro ads - a pet food that has been recalled more than once fur poisoning and making pets ill or even worse, killing them - there is no excuse for this product to be in any way connected to our community. We did not pay the 20 dollar annual fee to have Catster become a site that is a nightmare to navigate now either! :-/
    edited 1 June, 2010
    And we detest Facebook for a thousand different reasons, and do not care to have options to update that site every where we turn on here - we are not members and Mommy hated the site so much - totally creepy men all over it sending her add requests and tons of terrible drama and airing of people's personal things which have no place on the Internet - UGGGGH - and so ugly visually too - that she fled as soon as possible - we feel like Catster is trying to be like Facebook now - and that is a terrible shame!!!
  • SammySammy Member Posts: 3,391
    edited 1 June, 2010
    Please get rid of Nutro! We are slowly getting used to all the new changes, and hope to see continued improvements to the Community Homepage, but we CANNOT STOMACH NUTRO!!! It is really an insult to us kitties for them to have a presence on Catster at all - give them the boot, please!
  • Jan ArmstrongJan Armstrong Member Posts: 6,559
    edited 1 June, 2010
    The white could be a bit more on the beige side. Why cannot we be automatically on our Community Page when we log in like we used to? It was done before so you know how to code the site to do it. Also, why isn\'t the secondary menu not available everywhere? I can see why it would not be available for those not logged in, but it should be available for those who are. The \"My Account\", \"Forums\", \"Groups\", and \"See The Cats\" are items we should not to click around to get to.
  • stacy mitchumstacy mitchum Bridgeport TXMember Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭
    edited 1 June, 2010
    Catster has changed, sadly. None of us joined for information, we all have our own vets and we talk to the other members here also for advice. We also wish there was more on adopting homeless rather than a focus on breeds. I am less than thrilled about the facebook ads here, facebook is not a child friendly site and should not even be mentioned here. We are on facebook ourselves, but would not want our younger family members to visit there. Catster has become a \"supervised\" only site in so many homes now due to nightmarish photos and stories-published by Catster. Stories and photos depicting animal harm are against the Catster rules and is not something most parents want their kids to read about. I am thankful for the \"undoing\" of some of the so-called improvements. The white still needs to go, it is a well known fact that it is hard on the eyes. Nutro also needs to be forever banned, so many here have permanent health issues or have died from eating this food, and it is not a single isolated incident, they have had many recalls. It is disrespectful for the loyal members here who have lost their precious babies to Nutro to have them advertise here. I do want to give credit where credit is due, at least Catster is trying to address most of the concerns and I appreciate that, even though the reason is probably at least due in part to threat of lost revenue. I don\'t begrudge them making money from the members, we are probably their greatest source of income and the site layout should put us first.
  • John VarsJohn Vars MinnetristaMember Posts: 1,016
    edited 1 June, 2010
    Hi everyone, You guys are the best. We love your passion. It is a pleasure to be working on this site everyday. Thanks for being here. This is going to be another big week for us. We are trying to address a lot of the problems people are still having. Hopefully, these will be quick changes that we can make to improve the experience for all users and all browsers. We are also going to be reviewing some of the bigger picture issues to make sure we have structured the site the best we can. The challenge is making the site awesome for you cats - the community, but also making it work well for the new people coming to learn about cats. The new people, who have just adopted or are looking to adopt, have become a big part of our visitors. They usually come to the homepage or link deeply through search. We want them to find good, trustworthy information quickly. At the same time we want all of you to be REALLY HAPPY here. The community is the club - members only (so to speak). We are really working hard to make sure that this is all working as best it can. You have given us some great ideas on how to improve it. Thank you. Anyway, I just wanted to let you know that we are listening and working and I know that if you stick with us, we will get this worked out for you. If you are having specific issues of things not looking right, please email support and let us know your browser and operating system (PC, mac etc). If you can, a screen shot always helps. Ok, back to work! John @ HQ
  • edited 1 June, 2010
    For those of you disappointed that HQ is not addressing the Nutro issue that so many of us have, there is a reason for it: Catster has been in Nutro's pocket since April 1, 2009, when (link) they allowed Nutro representatives to create and maintain their very own group. They also allow those representatives to infiltrate the Catster community and post their "rah rah Nutro" message all over the place. Nutro is the ONLY pet food company with their own group. I have searched for other pet food Groups unsuccessfully; Science Diet, Eukanuba, Iams, Purina, Friskies, Blue Buffalo, Taste of the Wild, Wellness,... none of them have a group that is maintained by their respective representatives. However, if you search for "food" groups, you get some (links) interesting results. I was one of several Catsters who cried out against the Nutro incursion into our community. As you can see, however, our cries have fallen (and continue to fall) on deaf ears. I'm sure that we are being ignored as dissenters, in hopes that we will just fall quietly by the wayside. Well, sorry HQ... I, for one, will not go quietly. GET RID OF NUTRO!!!! There are several other pet food companies who are more deserving of our support.
    edited 1 June, 2010
    HQ does not take kindly to dissent. Very sad, but they don't really care for the club or community despite best efforts to convince otherwise. This silence speaks volumes! Changing bright white to a cloudy white is not sufficient. It is still painful. And the Diamonds don't show up. White is not appropriate for the "club".
  • Lindsay RoweLindsay Rowe ArcticMember Posts: 1,776
    edited 1 June, 2010
    Ah we see...we found the strolls. Thanks. Seems like it's now more of a pet information site which there are a million of all over the internet rather than a "Facebook or Myspace" for cats as is used to be. :-k
  • BambergcatBambergcat Member Posts: 838 ✭✭✭
    edited 1 June, 2010
    :? Oh why did you change it! I had gotten used to it and even could find my pets. Community doesn\'t always open. I guess that you needed more ad space....ugh.......