Dear Catster reader,

Almost two years ago, we invested numerous resources and rebuilt the Catster community. With new hardware, software and personnel, we did our best to satisfy the many users who shared their thoughts, pictures, questions, and love for and of their pets with us and friends. It was a thriving community with many users. We hoped, however, there would be more like you.

Times and habits have changed and we are sad to announce that the Catster community will be closing down on July 20, 2019.

Catster magazine, www.catster.com and the associated social media sites are NOT shutting down. We encourage you to continue reading the content found in the pages of the magazine and the web sites, commenting through the mechanisms provided and sharing your ideas and comments with us and your fellow readers.

Instructions for accessing pet profiles were shared with everyone in 2017. The instructions can be found elsewhere within the forum. AFTER JULY 20TH, YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO ACCESS THIS CONTENT. And, effective immediately, we are no longer able to answer questions about the community.

Thank you for your support and we look forward to serving you through our magazine and website.

Cheers,
Catster

Plus Opinion on Changes...

Comments

• Kathy MillerKathy Miller O'FallonMember Posts: 5,315 ✭✭
    edited 1 June, 2010
    John, why did you not address the Nutro issue. It's starting to get insulting that none of you say anything publicly about it. And I fear you're going to see a LOT more passion.
  • John VarsJohn Vars MinnetristaMember Posts: 1,016
    edited 1 June, 2010
    Hi, The community expandable behavior should work better now. You may have to do a hard refresh. Please try it and let us know. We are discussing all your concerns including Nutro. I will try to have something more to say about that soon. John @ HQ
  • Humphrey HauntedHumphrey Haunted CaliforniaMember Posts: 10,753
    edited 1 June, 2010
    If things are not set back the way they were and the whiteness is not corrected - it is KILLING people's eyes including our Mommy's - and Nutro is not pulled off the site we are going to ask for a pro rated refund of our money - we were automatically renewed in early March I believe - and only log on very very rarely if ever. That is how unhappy we are and we would NEVER have contributed money here if we had known you were going to mess this site up so terribly plus made the site into an advertisement for a pet food that has KILLED pets - it's all just a mess and we will NOT give money for any of this!
    edited 1 June, 2010
    The emphasis now on Breeds is very off putting - the emphasis should instead be on pets who are adoptable and need homes - we are very put off by having a Breed Of The Day - we could care less about that - we want to see the COTW and DPD instead. Since when did you decide to make this an info site primarily now instead of a community the way it was? There are dozens of internet sites that are pet info sites - and if you want to have pet info here that is fine but not on the opening page!! We are totally disgusted with all of it.
  • SammySammy Member Posts: 3,391
    edited 1 June, 2010
    Hi John, I know you guys are still tweaking the Community Homepage, but do you have any plans to place the COTD, COTW, and DOTD boxes together? It is visually very unappealing to have a big ad separating the boxes. We would like to see these 3 boxes together without having to scroll down the page to find the DOTD. I know it\'s already been pointed out that the Facebook and Twitter boxes take an excessive amount of space, can they be smaller and either placed closer to the bottom of the page or off to the side so we\'re not always staring at them in the middle of the page? Our preference would be to not to have them there at all and use the space for something more useful. Finally, we have been getting a lot of ads pop-up smack in the middle of the page when we open pages. Today we cannot even read the Daily Cat Tip because the Iams ad covers the text and there is no way to close it. Thank you for your attention to these matters.
  • Niki MattsonNiki Mattson St. PaulMember Posts: 20,360
    edited 1 June, 2010
    I do like most of the new changes, but I have one question. Where is The Cat's Meow newsletter? Okay, I do get it thru email, but what if I want to comment? Like today, there was a great one about how we cats feel about our food, but I can't find it. Guess I'll keep looking :? Cats Meeeeeoooooowwww!!! Where are yoooooouuuuuu!!??
    edited 1 June, 2010
    @Roger Bleu: I am not sure I understand why you are feeling that we are emphasizing breeds more than adoption? Is it because the Breeds tab is the furthest left? That is close to where it was before and we did have a featured breed of the day before too. There was not an intention to emphasize breed more than adoption or other content. We did choose to emphasize informational content more because we have a lot of visitors coming for information now. We also were trying to making the community experience better by making it more of a special club and protected from newbies and trolls (see my post a page back). I am very sorry if it has not felt this way for you. We are working hard to make this better. On Nutro, as I said a little while back, I will have something to say on that soon. We really want what we say to be correct and something we can stand by. So please know that this is important to us, but may take a little longer than you want. @Tully Thanks for your list and your patience. I have added your suggestions to my list to review. John @ HQ
    edited 1 June, 2010
    @Sandy LKN: Unlike the daily tip newsletter that also get posted to the site and have commenting, the weekly newsletter are not posted in this way with comments. It's a good idea though! With all the other issues right now, we probably won't get to that real soon, but it's on the list. John @ HQ
  • Valerie DurhamValerie Durham Member Posts: 8,724
    edited 1 June, 2010
    Hairballs Ralphed onto the beige carpet!
    edited 1 June, 2010
    @Harvey: Is the ralphing on the carpet in response to something I just wrote or just a general comment? Thanks, John @ HQ
  • Hazel_LucyHazel_Lucy PurrsvilleMember Posts: 6,156 ✭✭✭
    edited 1 June, 2010
    Will you be changing the painful white on the community pages? It really hurts and we would prefer a color.
    edited 1 June, 2010
    What I mean was this: The old - and far superior - opening page - showed US - the community - COTD, COTW, DPS, recent activities of our friends on their pages, etc. Now the opening page features "Breed of The Day" - I do not like that or anything else about the new opening page. That is fine if you want to have these features somewhere but please NOT on our opening page. And yes I do think it wouldn be FAR FAR better to instead feature "Adoptable Cat of The Day" instead of Breed Of The Day. When Mommy was growing up her family had MANY pure bred animals - do you know where they came from? From negligent people who dumped them on her family's doorstep - for all the stupid and cruel reasons some ignorant humans give for abandonding their pets. We are not pure breds - my brother and myself - nor are many other cats and dogs on here - but we are beautiiful and special and wonderful and we feel very shoved aside for these new generic - who knows who they are??! - photos of Breed Of The Day and so on on the new - and quite awful in our opinion - opening page. WE the community should be on the opening page!! We are not the ugly stepchildren to be put on the secondary page. There seems to have been a slight change in the glaring white background and we hope you have indeed changed it.
    edited 1 June, 2010
    And please do not try to do "spin control" on the Nutro issue and try to tell ush how it ish now "new and improved" or some such - NOONE here will buy it - we ish all too savvy and shmart fur that and it will be furry inshulting if yew does that. And I predict members WILL leave, in droves.
    edited 1 June, 2010
    Steven here - the business cat. It's mainly my fault for being away for the long weekend and not being able to respond quickly to your concerns about Nutro.  Over the past 6 years we have been really cautious about how to deal with all the major pet food brands as all of them have records that in some way have not held up to the higher litmus test we demand.  The major pet food brands feed most of our cats and dogs, and the responsibility for providing affordable, nutritious and quality food firmly rests on their shoulders.   But it is our duty as pet owners to hold them accountable to their actions today whilst having a mind for they have done before, because that is where we can affect change. It is also Catster's and my responsibility to make sure that if we take advertiser's money, we owe a due diligence to our community to uncover the truth behind any talk.  The ads you have seen were set to run on Dogster and I'm a bad kitty for not thinking about the fact that our vet blog was on Catster too. The campaign is running because we had asked the Dogster community for its feedback on the brand first.  We decided to do business with Nutro - and its Natural Choice Brand - because it was the first time a large company had openly solicited feedback from its customers on a community site like ours. And we are talking homepage feature and an email blast that reached over 100,000 people. This is amazing because they knew they were going to get a boat load of negative opinions as quite frankly nobody talks about how much they love pet food food when asked. But you know what ? - they personally responded to every email and the negative stories we heard were addressed when people heard both sides of the story,  heard what their policies are now, heard from vets and real people about their experiences and most importantly what contingencies they have in place now to prevent future harm to our pets.   My promise to you is to always think about the community first. I might be the business guy here but i am you loudest advocate when it comes to thinking through who we do business with and how we keep the lights on and make sure all our cats get catnip. Would you like me to ask Nutro for a place for the kitties to air our concerns too ?  I will continue to monitor the forums and emails as I always do. Steven 
    edited 1 June, 2010
    They should not be in business any more with that tainted name - Nutro. I am going to let others respond but since their product KILLED lots of wonderful animals in the past, they get no second chances on our book and do not belong on Dogster or Catster - period.
  • stacy mitchumstacy mitchum Bridgeport TXMember Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭
    edited 1 June, 2010
    Steven! Are you kidding????? We want Nutro GONE-GONE-GONE!!!! We do not want to converse with them! They have KILLED our friends, we do not trust them and certainly do not want to associate with them in any way! I don't think anyone here wants to hear their views on anything! I do appreciate you addressing this matter, but do not think you understand how much we all want them off of this site-FUREVER!!!!! Too bad you can't see the hundreds of post about them on facebook beteween the Catster meowmies, many too afraid to voice their opinions here.
  • Tiffany McConnellTiffany McConnell OmahaMember Posts: 30,862
    edited 1 June, 2010
    I have to agree with Roger and Norman on that one. I mean, yeah, I'm sure just about every brand out there has harmed an animal in some way, even if its just a food alergy, but Nutro is just sick. There is a fine line that they have crossed too many times.
    edited 1 June, 2010
    I'd also like to know where the 'off button' is on the Plus Auto-Renewal thing. My subscription is set to auto renew at the end of the month, and right now, with the site seeming to go downhill, I don't want to pay for it any more. :? Sorry Catster.
  • SammySammy Member Posts: 3,391
    edited 1 June, 2010
    \"Airing our concerns\" would be absolutely pointless. This is a company that cannot be trusted, they have had recall after recall after recall, not to mention sickness and deaths of pets who have eaten their food. None of us would believe a word this company has to say about anything, so there is no point in discussing anything with them.
  • edited 1 June, 2010
    Steven, your response only proves that you are completely out of touch with the community here and on Dogster. If you go to the Dogster food forums and search "Nutro", you will find several scathing responses by our very knowledgeable dog "foodies". Same with Catster. YOU ARE WRONG WRONG WRONG Mars Corp and Proctor & Gamble have shown a history of caring only for the bottom dollar; taking shortcuts with sub-par ingredients as well as supplements from other countries. They have a HISTORY of denying that animals are getting sick, then turning around and issuing "voluntary" recalls. They deny problems by stating that their internal testing show no adverse results, even when external independent testing shows otherwise. They do this with impunity because they know that the general public relies on the "name" and won't scrutinize pet food. And when issues arise, they put the full weight of their well-funded propaganda machine into glossing it all over. WE KNOW BETTER You have obviously not done enough research. You have not researched the company. You have not researched THIS COMMUNITY. What you have said is a slap in our collective faces. But honestly, I'm not really surprised.
    edited 1 June, 2010
    The only thing I would care to say to Nutro would be to give them the Middle Toe on my right front paw, if yew catches my drift! WE WANT NUTRO GONE!!! If they shtay, we go - end of shtory! We are Los Angeles kitties - we ish furry, furry savvy and hip - we knows spin control when we sees and shmells it - and it shmells ROTTEN! HOW DARE YOU TRY TO B.S. USH??!!
  • Lisa BordenLisa Borden MedinaMember Posts: 13,210
    edited 1 June, 2010
    Tabby's mom here: No, I don't want a place to "air my concerns". Tabby DIED because of Nutro! Thousands of cats and dogs have gotten sick or died, and continue to do so to this day! In my opinion, they have already had a second chance. And a third, and a fourth ... and so on. Enough is enough! Bottom line is, we don't like Nutro! No need to discuss it any further!
    edited 1 June, 2010
    You need a HUGE reality check Steven - and you need it now because people are getting angrier and angrier and you need to cut ties to Nutro NOW - end of story!
  • Hazel_LucyHazel_Lucy PurrsvilleMember Posts: 6,156 ✭✭✭
    edited 2 June, 2010
    Your response regarding NUTRO is far from the truth. I personally know that each time last year when I posted a diary entry about a NUTRO recall, HQ received angry phone calls demanding the entries be removed. It was HQ's choice to enter into negotiations with NUTRO for advertising. The Nutro cats joined in April of last year denying a recall was coming, then weeks later the recall was set. These cats and dogs are here to see who is saying what about NUTRO which is where they work. If you think we're going to swallow the load you just wrote, you are sadly mistaken. Still, you know that NUTRO had 2 recalls last year and is about to have another, their record is worse than other companies. Get real. Get right, get rid of NUTRO advertising. And you are ok with their ad placement on the vet blog???? Lulling unsuspecting folk into thinking this a fine food????
  • Rachel HicksRachel Hicks Littleton/DenverMember Posts: 23,738
    edited 2 June, 2010
    Not really sure WHY I felt compelled to post this link since I'm sure that, John, Steve, Ted, HQ whomever has either A. already read this & doesn't care or B. Doesn't care to read it because their minds are made up! REGARDLESS I'll sleep better tonight knowing I've done my duty by posting the information publicly so that they can't say they had "no idea". PLEASE do us all a favor & take the time to read these complaints. Notice how they go back nearly 4 years & how constant they are. Consumer Affairs logged Nutro complaints
    edited 2 June, 2010
    And I'd like to know what's up with this Axe ad and the "Undie Race"? I thought this was a family site?
  • Amy CroweAmy Crowe Member Posts: 278
    edited 2 June, 2010
    To Tabby's mom, I am so sorry for your loss. I am purring for you and for everyone else who lost a beloved furbaby to Nutro. And thank you for making your voice heard. To Steve, I am disappointed by your response. If you had been following the forum, it would be apparent that us cats do not want to enter into a dialogue with Nutro. Nutro killed many of our furriends like Taby. We do not want to talk with Nutro, we want Nutro gone. I am disgusted that catster and dogster would enter into an advertising agreement with Nutro given the continued recalls of Nutro foods. And I am bothered that my catster plus membership fee helps support a site which advertises Nutro to unsuspecting cats. I feel that catster has put its bottom line before the safety and wishes of the catster community. So my final question for you Steve is how do I go about deleting my profile because I just don't belong somewhere where cats don't come first.
  • MrD_Sam_RazaMrD_Sam_Raza New ZealandMember Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭
    edited 2 June, 2010
    Nikolai I love your main picture. Here's some great cartoons for you all from Wanda From the cartoon group: Wanda drew these funny, current affairs cartoons: http://images51.imikimi.com/image/images2_full/fHYj-2kN.jpg bonus cartoon: http://images51.imikimi.com/image/images2_full/fHYj-2kO.jpg Wanda's page: http://www.catster.com/cats/692014
    edited 2 June, 2010
    Thanks Raza, for posting those! When you copy/paste be sure to remove the extra space in "jpg" at the end of the link or they won't work! And this message to Steven: If you have not figured out by now that what holds this site together is "The Community" and that we all love our friends and HATE that a company (Nutro) that has been responsible for so many deaths and illness among our friends is not welcome here, I am afraid we are wasting our time talking to you. Please let us talk to someone else in charge, some with a conscience preferably. Please do not insult us with the PR crap!
    edited 2 June, 2010
    Perhaps you should read some of your own stories about Nutro: Catster's own published stories about Nutro foods. Here also is the copy/paste link-remove any extra spaces. http://blogs.catster.com/the-cats-meow-a-cat-and-kitten-blog/tag/nutro/ And click on some of the links in the articles for even more, info.