Dear Catster reader,

Almost two years ago, we invested numerous resources and rebuilt the Catster community. With new hardware, software and personnel, we did our best to satisfy the many users who shared their thoughts, pictures, questions, and love for and of their pets with us and friends. It was a thriving community with many users. We hoped, however, there would be more like you.

Times and habits have changed and we are sad to announce that the Catster community will be closing down on July 20, 2019.

Catster magazine, www.catster.com and the associated social media sites are NOT shutting down. We encourage you to continue reading the content found in the pages of the magazine and the web sites, commenting through the mechanisms provided and sharing your ideas and comments with us and your fellow readers.

Instructions for accessing pet profiles were shared with everyone in 2017. The instructions can be found elsewhere within the forum. AFTER JULY 20TH, YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO ACCESS THIS CONTENT. And, effective immediately, we are no longer able to answer questions about the community.

Thank you for your support and we look forward to serving you through our magazine and website.

Cheers,
Catster

I can\'t decide...

Emily Nah-ahEmily Nah-ah CharlotteMember Posts: 28
edited 19 December, 2006 in Food & Nutrition
Mommy only wants the best for me, the best kitten food particulary. She thought she was makin a good choice with science diet but now she has heard some bad things about it. I like it a lot espicially the canned food. But mommy wants the best food and she thinks I should switch to either Welnnes or Nutro, should I?

Comments

• Karen LeeKaren Lee The kingdom of Mer-lotMember Posts: 89,020
    edited 10 December, 2006
    You can compare the ingredients of Wellness and Nutro to see which one is better. Of course you will need to consider which of those two foods fits into your Human's budget. Here are some Catster posts with links to other good brands of food, like Merrick and Nature's Variety and Evanger: http://www.catster.com/forums/Food_and_Nutrition/thread/35238 5 http://www.catster.com/forums/thread.php?t=352294
  • Melissa FordMelissa Ford Santa CruzMember Posts: 3,914
    edited 10 December, 2006
    I am not going to get into a Science Diet debate, I can only tell you what has worked for me. I have been eating Science Diet my entire life. Mom has fed all of her kitties Science Diet. Not one has had any health issues. I know alot of people hate Science Diet, but mom has never had a problem w/ it...and I love it.
  • Jana PhillipsJana Phillips RaleighMember Posts: 846
    edited 10 December, 2006
    Between Nutro and Wellness, Wellness comes out as the best ingredient wise. However, if you want to try Nutro, you can order a bag for free! (see prev. thread). As far as the Science Diet thing....if you know it's bad, then why not try something better? So what if they "do well" on it....lots of cats do well on Friskies...but if I have the option of getting something better that they will do well with and is more healthy....why not?
  • Emily Nah-ahEmily Nah-ah CharlotteMember Posts: 28
    edited 10 December, 2006
    Thanks guys, Mommy is going to see which is easier to buy where we live, between Nutro and Wellness. But I think we are stuck with Science Diet for a while, we have 3.5 bags left. But I think we may send them back to Petsmart.
    edited 10 December, 2006
    They will allow you to return them at Petsmart....or even exchange :)
    edited 10 December, 2006
    Oooo that will make her very happy, maybe she will take me with her! I can get a new toy, not that I don't have enough already
    edited 10 December, 2006
    aww!! This is off-topic, but when I first got Tigger I took him to Petsmart, picked out a gazillion toys...and when he got home, he wanted to play with a balled up piece of notebook paper MOL
    edited 10 December, 2006
    Aww how cute, that sounds like Steve. Lol when I first got him they said he was a girl so I bought him ots of hit pink cat stuff but then Flower turned into steve so I spent another bazillion dolars buying blue and manly colored toys, lol
  • Yipee LadybugYipee Ladybug Member Posts: 3,805
    edited 10 December, 2006
    LOL Tigger! My mommy is always threatening never to buy us another cat toy, as we never seem to play with them (or only for the first few months to check 'em out)...and then we go to regular string/twist-ties/bits of paper, plastic/keyboard keys/golf balls, etc. etc. : )
  • Dawn KabacinskiDawn Kabacinski DetroitMember Posts: 1,772
    edited 10 December, 2006
    I vote for Science Diet. I don't know that it is bad. I know that it is a good food and my cats have done very well on it. My cat, Pandora, is 18yrs old, acts like she is 10 and has ate Science Diet her whole life. That sounds pretty good to me. And when it comes to preventing crystals in the urine, nothing beats Science Diet. This is especially problematic in male cats. I vote to stay with Science Diet.
    edited 11 December, 2006
    Hmm.....Mommy is still unsure but I think she may go with Nutro
  • Gina BakerGina Baker CarrolltownMember Posts: 1,004
    edited 12 December, 2006
    We eat Solid Gold Katz-n-Flocken - but only because our dog eats Solid Gold brand too. I never really compared cat foods.
  • Nuk AnukNuk Anuk Member Posts: 846
    edited 12 December, 2006
    We like Innova Evo http://www.thecatconnection.com/news_2005/june05/evo.htm And they have the 'store locator' function here: Search by telephone area code, or your city. http://www.naturapet.com/display.php?d=stores-tab
  • melissa cornishmelissa cornish oshawaMember Posts: 1,469
    edited 13 December, 2006
    hi kitties im now 9 weeks old and mom has me on Nutro kitten food and LOVE it sooo much but then again i guess it depends on ur cat cus some like one food while others dont . but both of moms dogs are on nutro and have been for a long time and are very healthy and have shiny coats and never have had any problems with nutro and same with me
  • Heather BellamyHeather Bellamy Perry / StatesboroMember Posts: 5,506
    edited 13 December, 2006
    Nutro has great ingredients, but I just didn't like the taste of the kibble or the canned. However I do like their Natural Choices (or Natural Selections...something like that) pouches. I say if you like the flavor, and you'll eat the food, then go for it! Mom put us on Blue Buffalo because it has good ingredients too and we all like the taste. But with 5 of us, it was kind of difficult to find something we all liked. I am also one to say that you should go with the food that you will eat and that your pawrents can afford. I don't think Science Diet is a bad food. There are plenty of foods out there that are far worse. It does contain lots of fillers and it also has byproducts, and I think that is what turns people off to it.
  • eve lloydeve lloyd Member Posts: 8 ✭✭
    edited 14 December, 2006
    Science Diet saved my big brother Pepper's life when he had crystals really bad. Our vet perscribed it for him! Mummy found that the no name grocery brand kibbel had exactly the same ingredients and nutrition, tourine and ash levels as science diet though and was lots lots cheaper! Right now mummy feeds me Purina Kitten chow as my constant dry munchy food and a small can of fancy feast for breakfast and supper and i am thriving! mummy avoids all semi-squishy cat treats though. Treats like Pounce and such are very very bad for kitties.Our vet told her that they have additives in them to keep them squishy and those additives can cause crystals specially in boy kitties like me! For a treat when im good mummy gives me an extra tight snuggle and tells me im a good boy :)
    edited 19 December, 2006
    Right now we are staying with science diet until we can get to petsmart. But mommy has been very bad in the last few weeks, she gave me tuna, salmon, steak, beef stew, chicken and turkey as treats whenever she ate them for a meal, she didn't give much just a little snack and it was so good.
  • Nicole MartinNicole Martin CranfordMember Posts: 185
    edited 19 December, 2006
    Plain meat is fine to give your pets. As long as you're not giving potato chips and mcdonalds then your fine :)