Cat Fighting

michele guerreromichele guerrero Member Posts: 162
edited 15 June, 2010 in Behavior & Training
My 4 year old cat, Sasha, and my newer cat that I rescued two months ago, Pequena, in the past week have been doing what I call "extreme fighting". Before this, they did fight periodically but it never got that bad. In the past week, I have seen them have 4 really bad fights, and my roomate witnessed 2 other ones when I was not home. Usually my cat is the more aggressive of the two, and she started the first couple that I witnessed, but my roomate said that Pequena started the one last night. She went up to Sasha for what seemed like no reason and started hissing at her and attacked her first. When they get into these "extreme fights" they chase each other around the apartment so fast and aggressively, they knock over a lot of things, running in and out of the windows, fur is flying, alot of hissing from both of them. I am amazed that so far neither of them has gotten mauled with the claws by the other one. Is there anything I can do to try to stop this behavior? I am afraid that eventually one of them is going to get seriously hurt and will need vet attention. I am particularly worried this might happen while no one is at home.

Comments

• michele guerreromichele guerrero Member Posts: 162
    edited 15 June, 2010
    anyone have any suggestions? They are fighting several times a day now. I try to keep them seperated in different rooms as much as possible. The rescued cat seems to have a disdain for Sasha and now keeps going after her unprovoked. Pequena was in heat two weeks ago and ever since she has been out of heat they have been fighting really bad like this. Making loud noises to get them to stop fighting hasnt helped at all. They are waking me up in the middle of the night with the fighting and I am not getting good sleep.
  • Kelly M-Kelly M- Member Posts: 779
    edited 15 June, 2010
    Maybe you should get your cats spayed... Just a thought. :-k
  • Faye DufourFaye Dufour Destrehan, LA/New Orleans areaMember Posts: 4,648
    edited 15 June, 2010
    It may be the fact that the new cat came into heat. I know there are others on CATSTER who have had more experience in this sort of thing, and can give suggestions. Do you plan on getting the other female spayed soon? This would certainly help calm her down. When I introduced new cats into the house I got one of those Feliway diffusers and put it in a room. That seemed to help, and I have seen frequent posts recommending Rescue Remedy (liquid to add to the cat's water.)
  • michele guerreromichele guerrero Member Posts: 162
    edited 15 June, 2010
    Sasha has been spayed. Pequena I thought was previously spayed because she has the "spay sway" skin. Didnt know that she wasnt until she went into heat two weeks ago. I have an appt to get her spayed in a week. Oh I had a bottle of the rescue remedy a while back, but I misplaced it. I dont know what happened to it.