Dear Catster reader,

Almost two years ago, we invested numerous resources and rebuilt the Catster community. With new hardware, software and personnel, we did our best to satisfy the many users who shared their thoughts, pictures, questions, and love for and of their pets with us and friends. It was a thriving community with many users. We hoped, however, there would be more like you.

Times and habits have changed and we are sad to announce that the Catster community will be closing down on July 20, 2019.

Catster magazine, www.catster.com and the associated social media sites are NOT shutting down. We encourage you to continue reading the content found in the pages of the magazine and the web sites, commenting through the mechanisms provided and sharing your ideas and comments with us and your fellow readers.

Instructions for accessing pet profiles were shared with everyone in 2017. The instructions can be found elsewhere within the forum. AFTER JULY 20TH, YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO ACCESS THIS CONTENT. And, effective immediately, we are no longer able to answer questions about the community.

Thank you for your support and we look forward to serving you through our magazine and website.

Cheers,
Catster

Disturbing CATSTER News

Deb BarrettDeb Barrett Member Posts: 18
edited 6 August, 2010 in Laws & Legislation
DEar Catster Friends, While on FB yesterday it came to our attention that the domain owners of CATSTER/DOGSTER that they have opened a polar oppisite of Catster web site. THis other website PROMOTES CAT VIOLENCE and TORTURE. Ted Rheingold and Janine are the people who have started this polar oppisite website and are actively promoting cat violence. HOW could a website that states it loves cats and dogs also promote terrible violence to gelpless and defenseless animals. SHAME ON YOU! SHAME SHAME SHAME! I guess it all comes down to the almighty dollar and fulfilling the sick needs of people that get off on seeing helpless animals scream in pain as they are being tortured and killed. I am shocked and very disappointed in this web site and you the owners.

Comments

• Lisa ProvostLisa Provost Member Posts: 4,486
    edited 21 June, 2010
    Do you have any proof of this? How did you find this out? What's the website url? If you're making a claim like this, you need to back it up.
  • Cathy AudorffCathy Audorff Janesville, WisMember Posts: 3,812 ✭✭
    edited 21 June, 2010
    Ted has already responded to this. The bad site was taken off the net, and the other two photo sites have been edited as needed. We would still like to see Catatar not linked to Catster, but at least the really offensive stuff is gone. (See your home page for Ted's message). We are glad that Ted responded very quickly to this problem.
  • Lisa ProvostLisa Provost Member Posts: 4,486
    edited 21 June, 2010
    Oh boy! I'm kinda upset that they are using some pictures from Catster on Catatar without asking permission! I hope they don't use ours, that would really make mom mad! Please keep an eye on this everyone to make sure it's not a problem. If our photos start being used even though we have it checked here that we don't them want to be, I don't think mom will be happy.:((
  • Lisa DausmanLisa Dausman Member Posts: 5,216
    edited 21 June, 2010
    What the heck, is Catatar? Is it really kitty violence? Is Ted really involved? :? Man oh man, if I gotta get my NFL friends, involved........again........ I will, they did make short work of Mr Vick. Not going thru that "crap" again. :n:
  • Teresa HawkinsTeresa Hawkins McHenryMember Posts: 415
    edited 21 June, 2010
    And why are these horrible sites not policed and the people frequenting them and posting horrible pics not arrested for animal cruelty? Hey Bumpurr, we are right there with you - and we, too are Cowboy fans. Mom still has her Staubach jersey!
  • Molly StrothkampMolly Strothkamp MesaMember Posts: 1,381
    edited 22 June, 2010
    As Bella stated, Ted and HQs addressed the Moarrawr website. I saw the website before it was taken down and, in my opinion, stating the website "promotes cat violence and torture" and HQ is "actively promoting cat violence" is not accurate and over-sensationalizing the content of the website. As an animal advocate, I have seen websites that *truly* promote cat violence and torture (and immediately reported them to the IOC which is what anyone should do if you come across animal abuse on the internet). Such websites are horrific and disgusting and, unfortunately, continue to pop up on the internet. I think it's misleading to categorize the Moarrawr website in the same way as sites that truly promote animal abuse. The website in question showed photos of animals in the wild and some pretty gross things (including a couple of photos of dead and decomposing animals in the wild). The captions on the photos were stupid and juvenile. I can understand that it was offensive and gross for many to see. It is not a website that I am interested in viewing but I think saying that it promotes violence and torture of cats (or any animals) is really over-stating what the website contained. I was mostly disappointed that Dogster/Catster would associate itself with such a stupid, unoriginal website. If it had been linked on Catster or Dogster, it would have been much more of an issue in my opinion. But it was it's own separate website, albeit owned by the same owners as Dogster/Catster. Ted and HQs responded quickly to the community and closed down the website.
  • Lisa DausmanLisa Dausman Member Posts: 5,216
    edited 22 June, 2010
    I never saw the original site, the original poster was talking about. I emailed Ted and asked him what this is all about. He sent me a link, and it was cutey pictures of kitties, did not see and kitty abuse or violence. This is one subject Bumpurr is beyond hyper about. There ain't gonna be no discussion for days, of what are we gonna do, there ain't gonna be no delegation of jobs. Bumpurr just jumps in and get it done. All that want to help, are more than welcome. Arthur Blank thought he was gonna take us on, said, what are you going to do about it? We, in the NFL, showed him "exactly" what we were going to do, and did it. He suspended Mr Vick from the Falcons. Then we moved on to Goodell, who as commissioner, thought he was pretty untouchable. We demanded, he suspend Mr Vick from the NFL, he caved faster than Blank. Leonard Tose was real real nervous, when he was pressured into signing Mr Vick. We told him, we will be a'waitin' on Vick, down here in Dallas, got alot of tall trees. They left him home, the first trip down, wise move on their part. Then we beat them the last game of the season, made them go as a wildcard, then beat them in the first round and knocked them out of the playoffs, yup, we got ways, ya all don't be a messin with Dallas. Ya also don't mess with Bumpurr, when it comes to mis-treating little animals. Ya find a site, let him know. :n::n::n:
  • Nuk AnukNuk Anuk Member Posts: 846
    edited 22 June, 2010
    Bumpurr... You talk to dead people? April 16, 2003 PHILADELPHIA -- Leonard Tose, a former Eagles owner died Tuesday at 88. Mr. Tose died in his sleep in the hospice wing of St. Agnes Medical Center in Philadelphia It was Jeffrey Lurie who made it clear very early in his press conference that he didn't want to sign Michael Vick in August of 2009 I'm sure the majority of Catsters are passionate about animal protection. On regards to Catatar and Dogatar (which, I need to state, are not the website which caused the misleading original post - that website was been addressed by Ted and shut down.) What I saw (on the website the original post is about) were some pictures that were objectionable in taste and marred by some crude, inappropriate, low-humored captions and comments. While it was certainly a website that is not to my taste or that I would visit regularly, I don't think it is fair to say it promoted animal violence or death. It is not the same as if it were showing pictures of cruel humans gleefully torturing animals.
  • Debra PietrowskiDebra Pietrowski Sussex CountyMember Posts: 1,833
    edited 24 June, 2010
    This post is supposedly getting a bath? Why does it have fleas, or is it just getting to be to much for headquarters knowing that we know the truth and its killing them. You guys seriously need a bath for your nasty animal cruelty site that was posted. We know all about it HQ and we are not diggin it. We are CATS hear Us ROAR.. and not on Moarrawr.com either. So stick that in your pipe and "moke" it.
  • Debra PietrowskiDebra Pietrowski Sussex CountyMember Posts: 1,833
    edited 22 June, 2010
    I say we all make facebook pages for our cats and just be friends on there.. how cute would that be, we can even IM each other. At least it wont be associated with bad internet sites. :)) QUIT CATSTER
  • Lori MalmLori Malm San FranciscoMember Posts: 7,342
    edited 24 June, 2010
    Hi,

We have closed this thread. Threads can be closed temporarily or permanently for a variety of reasons. Some of the most common reasons are: the thread has gone off topic; the thread is not in the 'spirit' of Catster; the thread is no longer fun, friendly or informational; the thread has been discussed at length in other threads; or we cannot provide adequate moderation at this time.

Please let HQ know if you have any questions.

HQ