Kitten to Kitten Love

Kenneth ZaetschKenneth Zaetsch Member Posts: 1
edited 25 June, 2010 in Behavior & Training
Me and my husband for the last 18 months have had a domestic short hair silver tabby. Her name is Emma and she is an indoor kitten of 18 months old. Recently I decided I wanted another kitten. We got aquired one from one of my husbands highschool sweethearts. Her name is Samantha. Samantha is a domestic medium hair. We're not sure what she is. When we brought her home Emma hated the new kitten. So for a couple days we kept them seperated. After that feeling it was mean to the kitten to keep her isolated I let her out to roam in the house. Emma was still not sure about the kitten and would hiss. Finally she came around and they began to play. The kitten at times would try and get milk from Emma and Emma would not allow it. Emma would bathe the kitten and try and carry it around by the nape of the neck. Emma by the second week went into heat as she is not fixed yet. They still would play and get along but now she is letting the 10 week old kitten suck on her nipples. We know that Emma is not pregnant and so we are wondering why our older kitten is allowing the 10 week old kitten to do this as well as why Emma would be mothering the kitten so much. Samantha is going to be 11 weeks old soon as is half the size of Emma alreaddy but they continue this routine daily. Any info would be greatly appreciated

Comments

• JessicaJessica Long Island, New YorkMember Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭
    edited 25 June, 2010
    Since Emma is not spayed, she is full of hormones, and the presence of a young kitten could cause an intact female to exhibit mothering behaviors, even producing milk. Its healthier for both cats in the long run if they are both spayed as soon as they are of age. Emma ASAP.