Peeing on bed - I\\\'m at my wit\\\'s end!

Stephanie DejanStephanie Dejan Des PlainesMember Posts: 4,239
edited 27 June, 2010 in Behavior & Training
I\'ve posted about this before, but hope someone might have some new ideas. Shelley pees on the bed. Daily if she can get to it, although I\'ve been more successful at keeping her out of the bedroom. It\'s not the litter boxes - she\'ll pee on the bed and then go use the box later. It\'s not disease - last time this was going on I took her to the vet and she was robust and healthy. She\'s a very shy cat, but goes through periods where she wants (and gets) LOTS of attention, and those are the pee-on-bed times. It\'s as though when she feels closer to me she wants to increase the bond by peeing or something. I\'ve seen her do it a couple of times, and before she pees she\'s purring and kneading the bed. I really can\'t continue to live with this. It\'s been going on periodically for years now. I try to keep the bedroom door shut, but inevitably I\'ll forget and she\'ll strike. Plus the bedroom has a couple \"special spots\" for other cats, so I hate closing it off. I\'ve tried Feliway and Rescue Remedy. There\'s a litter box at the foot of the bed. Again, she gets a lot of attention. I just don\'t know what to do. I would be loath to place her with someone else because she is so shy and it would be very traumatic. She can take years to get over stuff. (I still can\'t pick her up.) If I had to get rid of her, it would be by putting her down. Don\'t yell at me for that - believe me, I go the extra mile and then some for my critters, and in this case I\'ve tried everything I know. Any other ideas out there?

Comments

• Paula K-Paula K- New YorkMember Posts: 2,244
    edited 10 June, 2010
    Oh Shelley, I really feel for you. I don't think there's anything worse than inappropriate peeing. Have you read all the litter box info on catinfo.org? That's the only thing I can think of to suggest - Dr. P. has tried to list in one place all the reasons cats don't use the box. I do wish you the best of luck and hope you get to the bottom of it.
  • edited 12 June, 2010
    Hiya Shelly :-h What do you use to clean up with? I know that white vinegar worked on my unfinished wood floor. Say \"Hi\" to Lurch and the gang for me. :D
  • Shara PierceallShara Pierceall Member Posts: 18
    edited 17 June, 2010
    Have you tried spraying the bed with something meant to make cats dislike the area, like a citrus spray? If she's kneading first, then she would really come into contact with the smell and it might put her off.
  • Dawn HarmanDawn Harman SpeedwellMember Posts: 1,079
    edited 18 June, 2010
    You could always try putting small dishes of cat food all over the bed. But I would only use dry for this. You could also get those mouse trap looking things I have seen at Petsupermarket or double sided tape, but that is only if she is the only one who gets on the bed. I shure hope you find a way to stop her from doing this. Please keep us all up to date as to what you my find to help!
  • Zareena AmiruddinZareena Amiruddin Member Posts: 1
    edited 18 June, 2010
    Have you tried not being so nice to her when she does it? Hate to say it and I only did it as a last resort. When my old cat kept pooing and peeing on the bed, I had to yell at him and I kept him around while I was cleaning up. I didn\'t hurt him, just made sure he knew what he did was naughty and I was unhappy about it. Seemed to do the trick.
  • Sarah ClarkSarah Clark Ruston, AustinMember Posts: 689
    edited 27 June, 2010
    The kitty timeout: When she does it, scruff her (while supporting her bottom) look her in the eye and tell her no in a very loud and firm voice and put her straight into a cat carrier. then clean up the affected area. the carrier should be in view of the area if possible. then leave the room for no more than 5 minutes and let her out but do not love on her at that time. could get some boundry spray (Ive never had luck with it on carpets but its worth a shot) Also, get a protective cover for your matress if you dont already have one and consider putting a tarp or other water proof plastic covering over the bed. This will make it less atractive for her to get on to it. once her episodes have subsided you may consider putting a blanket or cat bed or two on top of that plastic so that other cats can feel comfy up there. nothing too soft or expensive, so if she goes potty on it again you dont feel bad about washing/tossing it. Make sure to wash any bedding you have with a good enzime cleaner. lIke soak it in natures miracle, then wash it again with oxyclean. try having varying types of litter, maybe the litter you have is not soft enough for her. Also, you said you've been to the vet before, but if its been more than 6 months you may want to go back. especially if shes an older cat. Their heath can turn quicker than you'd think and it never hurts to have them tested. Insist they check for a bladder infection if they arnt doing it automatically.