Laws on inoculating cats

Kelli SternKelli Stern Member Posts: 90
edited 27 June, 2010 in Laws & Legislation
My housing is once again trying to make a stink to the people who have cats. They are saying that they HAVE to be up to date on their shots. Our cats do not go out doors at all. I have heard (and I know this is probably rare) but cats getting cancer from them. I'm not about to take that chance.. sorry. They don't go outdoors there is NO reason why I should have to subject them to the shots. So my question is: Does anyone know if there are any laws in regards to inoculating your indoor cat in CA? I have looked but haven't found much. Please hurry we need a answer as these people are not patient.. in fact my apt manager is a down right ****. Ohh let me also add that this is a independent living facility.. On our lease it talks about DOGS being inoculated in accordance with state law, but nothing about cats. Do we have a leg to stand on if we fight these people? These people are just bully's..These cat's are used as comfort animals.. they are in our apts and not bothering anyone.

Comments

• Nuk AnukNuk Anuk Member Posts: 846
    edited 24 June, 2010
    CALIFORNIA FOOD AND AGRICULTURAL CODE SECTION 31760-31765 31760. (a) This chapter only applies to a county that has a population of less than 100,000 persons as of January 1, 2000, and to cities within that county. A county whose population exceeds 100,000 persons in a year subsequent to January 1, 2000, shall be subject to Chapter 1 (commencing with Section 31751) commencing on January 1 of the year immediately following the year in which the population of that county exceeds 100,000 persons. 31765. Whenever a county, or a city that is within a county to which this chapter applies, requires cat license tags, the tag shall be issued for one-half or less of the fee required for a cat, if a certificate is presented from a licensed veterinarian that the cat has been spayed or neutered. Which does demonstrate that cat licensing is required by certain counties/cities. CAL. FOOD & AGRIC. CODE § 30804.7 Licensing and necessity of Rabies vaccination certification in dogs. I can not find county/city requirements for cat licensing or statutes/ordinances. That does not mean they don't exist. I see that the California Penal Code CAL. PENAL CODE § 398 (2007 ) PENAL CODE: Possession of Animal Known to Have Caused Bite; Required Disclosures to Injured Person - does require that Rabies vaccination certification is part of the disclosure. It could be that your assisted living facility fears liability in the case of a cat biting a guest or staff. While it is true that problems and vaccine side effects can occur and can even be life threatening, vaccination safety is generally quite high and concerns and fears about the adverse effects of vaccines should not be used as grounds to avoid immunizing your cat or dog. Feline Vaccine associated fibrosarcoma: Fibrosarcomas are aggressive cancers comprised of mutated, uncontrollably-dividing connective tissue cells that can appear anywhere on the body, including sites of prior vaccination. Occurring at a rate of 1/1000 to 1/10000 vaccinated cats, anywhere from 2 months to 3-4 years after vaccination (the canine rabies vaccine and feline leukemia vaccine are said to be the main culprits) You can ask that your Vet give feline leukemia and feline rabies vaccinations in the hind legs (right rabies, left leukemia) so that a leg can be removed should a tumour develop. Also, vaccines should ideally not be given in the scruff of cats (between the shoulderblades) because tumors in this area are tricky to excise and vaccines tend to pool here, leading to a prolonged, focal reaction against the vaccine in this region. Vaccines should also be given under the skin, not in the muscle, because skin lumps are easier to detect. Vets should also keep a record of the injection sites used (which vaccines are used and where) and keep to this pattern for all subsquent boosters so that recognition of vaccine sites will be much easier. Intranasal vaccines, where available, should be used in place of injectable vaccines as they are not as implicated in the formation of vaccine sarcomas.
  • Kelli SternKelli Stern Member Posts: 90
    edited 24 June, 2010
    Thank you for your post.. I still do not believe in vaccinating my cats.. they had their initial shots.. I will call animal control and see what they say.. Thanks again..
  • Lisa DaversLisa Davers SacramentoMember Posts: 3,642
    edited 24 June, 2010
    In most counties there are laws about vacinating for rabies but not anything else. The issue if she bit someone and they reported it, is that unless you can prove she\'d been vaccinated for rabies animal control would take her and euthanise her. Sassy bit one of the vet techs at her annual exam and the vet had to repport it but she was vacinated so I didn\'t get a visit from animal control. Calling animal control is your best bet and they\'ll be able to tell you exactly what the laws are where you live and what would happen if you didn\'t follow them.
  • Kelli SternKelli Stern Member Posts: 90
    edited 27 June, 2010
    Ok I called the local animal control and they said there are NO laws as far as cats.. just dogs.. There is a low cost clinic coming up by my house.. I guess I will take them in.. The one that bites is my sister Lilly, but it's is only mom and affectionately (although it is annoying and she's putting a stop to it). If anyone else comes in the house that she doesn't know she runs. Thank you everyone for your post's.