Dear Catster reader,

Almost two years ago, we invested numerous resources and rebuilt the Catster community. With new hardware, software and personnel, we did our best to satisfy the many users who shared their thoughts, pictures, questions, and love for and of their pets with us and friends. It was a thriving community with many users. We hoped, however, there would be more like you.

Times and habits have changed and we are sad to announce that the Catster community will be closing down on July 20, 2019.

Catster magazine, www.catster.com and the associated social media sites are NOT shutting down. We encourage you to continue reading the content found in the pages of the magazine and the web sites, commenting through the mechanisms provided and sharing your ideas and comments with us and your fellow readers.

Instructions for accessing pet profiles were shared with everyone in 2017. The instructions can be found elsewhere within the forum. AFTER JULY 20TH, YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO ACCESS THIS CONTENT. And, effective immediately, we are no longer able to answer questions about the community.

Thank you for your support and we look forward to serving you through our magazine and website.

Cheers,
Catster

fleas on kittens less than 8 weeks

Vanessa CurryVanessa Curry MesaMember Posts: 2,385 ✭✭
edited 7 July, 2010 in Kitten Corner
We recently had a stray kitty bring 4 kittens into our garage. Mom isn't sure how old they are - maybe 5-6 weeks. They clearly have fleas, and all of the packages of flea treatment say don't use on kittens less than 8 weeks. The kittens are clearly uncomfortable. What should I tell my mom to do?

Comments

• Chrysee HinshawChrysee Hinshaw Member Posts: 474
    edited 10 August, 2009
    I would call a vet and see what they suggest. A very young kitten covered in fleas can very easily die from flea anemia. My first idea would be to bathe them all. Just a normal bath can remove a lot of fleas. However that will not keep them from coming back.
  • DONNA KELLY-BIRCHDONNA KELLY-BIRCH kenoshaMember Posts: 1,018
    edited 10 August, 2009
    There is a pill called Capstar that you can safely give kittens. I think you can only get it from the vet or maybe on the internet pet med sites. Capstar only kills adult fleas, and only lasts 24 hrs. though. We foster kittens, and have actually used Revolution on them before the package age. Revolution seems generally safe and has been tested on animals at multiple dose strength with few side effects. We have 6 wk. old kittens right now who had fleas and we gave them Capstar and put just a drop or 2 of Revolution on them. All the fleas fell off in a half an hour. Of course it depends on the health of the kittens whether you want to treat them early and also how comfortable you are with it. We have heard you can bathe them with dish soap and comb the fleas off them, but you need to do this everyday until they are gone. If you choose this option, you need to keep them from getting a chill until they are fully dry. Good Luck and let us know what happens!!:-h
  • Roxann RobbinsRoxann Robbins Member Posts: 3,268
    edited 10 August, 2009
    De Flea by Natural Chemistry. It is NOT an insecticide but works by breaking the waxy coat of the flea/tick/mite and causing it to suffocate. It works and comes in a pet/surface spray and a shampoo. Mom's purrrrsonally used it on week-old kittens. It's safe even for hamsters, rabbits, guinea pigs, and mom's used it on baby mice. The spray can be used on reptiles. Get it at any Petco/Petsmart or many independents. Purrrs, Biscuit
  • Vicky ChanVicky Chan MarkhamMember Posts: 3,542
    edited 11 August, 2009
    Does frontline + work on cats? I saw a commercial for flea treatment for dogs during my vacation. Can\'t remember the name off the top of my head, but I\'ll get back to you when it comes up again.
  • Stacy StottStacy Stott Member Posts: 172
    edited 5 September, 2009
    I know this post is about a month old and you probably don't need the information anymore, but I am posting it for others that may be looking for the same answer in the future. The day after furmommy brought me home, she found fleas on me. She was worried that my brofur would get them too (if he wasn't where I got them from) She did not know how old I was because I was not going to the vet for two more days. She found out that you can use Dawn dish soap on kittens. It has to the regular, normal, blue Dawn dish soap and it has to be Dawn. Luckily, that is what furmommy had bought at the store the week before. Dawn dish soap killed the dead, right then and there. They did not try to jump off or anything! Furmommy knew it would be OK on me because they use it to clean up animals that get oil and other yuckies on them after oil spills. The vet told furmommy that it was OK to use it on me that one time, but it would dry out my baby kitty skin so we could not do it more than once in a while. I was happy to hear that because I did not like the bath and furmommy had the battlescars on here arm to prove it!;) When I went to the vet, the vet tech guessed me at 8 weeks and the vet said 10-12 weeks. Furmommy decided I was 10 weeks. The vet gave her stuff called Revolution for my fleas and ear mites. It can be used on kittens as little as 6 weeks old. Furmommy does not know the cost of it because since I was a new patient she got a "Welcome Kitty" starter kit from Revolution and the vet that had the medicine, a magnet picture frame, a book with 101 essential cat care tips, and a booklet to keep all my medical records in. Furmommy likes the Revoltion, we have not seen any more flease since she treated me and my brofur (brofur is a dog and furmommy got Frontline for him)
  • Lisa DausmanLisa Dausman Member Posts: 5,216
    edited 5 September, 2009
    I agree with the Revolution, my breeder said you can use it on 6 week old kittens. :D If you ever have to wash a kitten, use Suave baby shampoo or Johnsons baby shampoo, I used Suave on the kittens. Just remember to rinse, rinse, rinse, and rinse some more. I also heard Dawn works for fleas, but have never tried it. :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D
  • Jan ArmstrongJan Armstrong Member Posts: 6,559
    edited 9 September, 2009
    My Momma\'s Cousin has a mobile grooming business in another state. She uses Dawn (blue) on all of her clients (dogs and cats).
  • Stephanie CurtissStephanie Curtiss Member Posts: 2
    edited 7 July, 2010
    Actually I recently discovered when going to the vet, the chemicals in dish soap are not safe for kittens, your best choice for kittens under 8 weeks would be the Capstar tablets, or if their at least 8 weeks, the revolution is supposed to work well. That's what I'm trying right now.