Canned w/dry?

Heather ThompsonHeather Thompson BountifulMember Posts: 3,652
edited 8 July, 2010 in Food & Nutrition
Okay Daddy is really starting to not like how much us kitties are costing him, with 5 cats in the house we go through 4 of the 5oz cans per day at $1.39-$1.99 each for the good brands that's nearly $5.00 per day/$150 per month for canned food, and then we have Mini who just eats grain free dry. He wanted to know if it would be 'acceptable' to feed a combo of the two? Meaning maybe 1 5oz can divided between 4 canned eaters in the morning, dry when mommy gets home (dry would be grain free), and then another can right before bedtime. They do get water mixed with their canned as we have 2 kitties who have bladder issues, +1 who eats dry w/bladder issues. Mommy would feed the 'cheaper' brands but most of them have menadione in them. ::o I would love to go raw, but hubby isn't quite convinced yet....

Comments

• Paula K-Paula K- New YorkMember Posts: 2,244
    edited 2 July, 2010
    Munchie, personally I think you'd be better off substituting cheap wet instead of dry. Even some of the Friskies flavors aren't that bad and you can get them for as low as 45¢ a can. Just our opinion. You'd probably be best off with raw if you can convince hubby, and even Mini Dee could probably eat it.
  • Lisa DausmanLisa Dausman Member Posts: 5,216
    edited 2 July, 2010
    Munchie my buddy, mol, what do you mean, what you kitties are costing "him"??? Is he the only person in the household, that has a job??? I thought your mommy worked too??? :-h And how long has he been in a coma, that he just woke up, and realized, kitties are not free, nothing is free, what ever you enjoy in life, costs something. :-k The bladder/crystal kitties "have" to stay on wet, mixed with water, so its like a soup, it keeps them flushed out, its a preventative, per say. Without this, your daddy is looking at yoou kitties getting sick and going to the vet, which equals alot more dollars. Does he not spend the money to get his oil changed??? And why does he do that, it is kinda expensive, he has as aversion to spending money, mol. Oh wait...... its so the engine doesn't seize up and he has to put in a whole new engine, which is like thousands of dollars. Pree.......vent.......a.........tive =D> I know nothing about raw, but the raw kitties would be glad to help you, you might want to see what it would cost, ballpark, to feed the kitties raw. :D Anyhow, what have I told you about your daddy??? Bump is packing his toys, and putting the GPS in to get to your house, I do believe you need some help, mol, and not too many will take on Bump, he is a highly trained attack cat, mol, that sticks up for his kitty friends, mol. =;=;=;=;=;=;=;=;=;=;=;=;=;=;
  • Stacia BennettStacia Bennett Athens, GAMember Posts: 1,011
    edited 2 July, 2010
    Maybe tell him that you cannot feed dry, but you are more than happy to try raw since that will probably be a lot cheaper? If you are going to compromise then he should too! Maybe not go full raw, but go partial? I am kind of on the fence about the high quality, grain free dry vs. low quality wet. I can not in my right mind feed anything to any of my animals that has something as nasty as menadione in it, and all Friskies varieties do. At least the high quality dry foods don't have nasty chemicals and preservatives in them. That's a tough call :-k
  • Heather ThompsonHeather Thompson BountifulMember Posts: 3,652
    edited 2 July, 2010
    That is where I am torn as I really do not like the Menadione (as every variety of Friskies has it) as it is possible that it can cause problems. I work as well and bring in money too the little whiner! My sister might have me start bathing/drying her 2 show dogs (standard poodles twice a week to earn extra money, then I will have more money to get the better foods with less whining from hubby. I think what I might do is possibly feed the cheaper brands for 1 meal a day and the better brands for 2 of their meals, that would be only about $2-3 per day...which is better than $5-6 in my hubby's opinion. Yah he's on a kick...he was whining about having to buy cat litter every week......boys will be boys....I asked him what he thinks kids will cost when we have skin kids....cause they sure as heck are gonna cost a lot more money than the critters. Bumpurr...as a funny....he didn't get the oil changed in our car, regularly, and the oil crystalized and seizured up the engine that put a hole in the oil pan....so we had to not only lose 1 car, but had to go out and buy another car in the mean time since we only had 1 car, so we could get to work.....yah it's still sitting at his brothers waiting for a new engine...since January....
  • Tina BTina B Vancouver IslandMember Posts: 2,238
    edited 2 July, 2010
    Hi Munchie:-h can you buy the bigger cans? it sometimes works out cheaper as you get a discount when you buy a case. I would say feed the best wet(grain free) to your urinary problem kitties. Then go with the cheaper wet foods for your other kitties. I will say though that convincing hubby with Raw would be a good thing too.
    edited 2 July, 2010
    So....... the next time, your daddy whines about what the kitties are costing him, your mommy can explain to him, that she does work too, and does bring $$$$$$ into the house hold too, and....... who is it......... in your household, that cooks the meals, does the dishes, cleans the house, does the laundry, runs the errands, etc etc etc........ and.........I'll bet that your daddy gets his meals for free, clean house for free, clean laundry for free, so..........your mommy can tell your daddy, ""he" is costing her money and time, and maybe he should pay up, for services rendered. :))!:))!:))!:))!:))!:))!:))! You have IM, put that young man on, Bump needs to straighten out his bee-hind, and show him the error of his ways, mol. Unless he is afraid of a little girl and her attack cat. :)):)):)):)):)):)):)):)):)):))
  • Jennifer HearinJennifer Hearin Member Posts: 1,939
    edited 2 July, 2010
    Hi Munchie, You can probably save some money with the larger cans. I can get the larger cans of Wellness (12.5 oz) for about $2.19, and same for the 13 oz Evo (one store used to have the large Wellness for $1.79 & Evo for $1.69 - now $2.19 is the best I\'ve found). I can get large cans of Felidae for $1.39, which is a great deal, but my cats aren\'t thrilled with it (and I believe it contains some brown rice way down on the list). I\'ve found smaller pet stores have better prices than the large chain pet stores. It\'s a tough call, but with healthy cats I don\'t think some quality dry is so bad if you\'re also feeding canned. But they may end up getting more addicted to it. And I do feel quality food is an investment in long term health. Maybe rotate with the lower end canned or maybe raw?? :D :-h Best wishes...
    edited 2 July, 2010
    I am going to go check out a couple of 'smaller' pet stores hopefully on Wednesday so I'm hoping they have the cheaper Large cans as that would work best. As Petco doesn't carry ANY large cans of anything cat food wise. Bumpurr ROFLMFBO! You are too funny!!!!! Yes mommy does about 98% of the cooking, all of the cleaning/laundry etc in addition to working a full time job so yah, she's gonna lay down the law and tell Daddy it's time to pay up.
  • Marie CallinMarie Callin Member Posts: 494
    edited 2 July, 2010
    I have actually found that one of the small pet foods stores here has the 5.5 ounce cans for 20-30 cents CHEAPER than any other stores!!! Hopefully you can find a store like that near you. Large cans (13 ounce) of Wellness are only $2 there :-O All their EVO was $0.50 a can so they could get rid of it. Hopefully you can find a place with those kind of deals too. But I am guessing you aren't in NW WA state which is where the store is...
    edited 3 July, 2010
    OK, done picking on your dadddy, mol. :-h I do understand the need to sometimes cut back here and there when you might have to. Sometimes they cut our hrs way back, and I have to get creative, and still give the food that they need. :D For cat litter, I use Cats Pride, its scoopable, and its $2.50 bag at Family Dollor, I use 3 bags a week plus baking soda, per box, that is 55 cents a box at Family Dollor. There is absolutly, no wiggle room, with Bumpurr, all he is going to eat is the BW dry. I tried putting the kittens back on kitten chow, much cheaper than BW, but when I started reading the bag, it made me sick. I decided, in the long run, was saving vet dollors by feeding the better quality food, so they stayed on the BW dry too. So not much room with them either. Smokey and Prowler, "have" to have the wet, mixed with water, due to their issues, Prowler had crystals and Smokey had liver issues, they *have* to stay flushed out. They were getting BW cans, 1 per day per each cat, at $1.39 a can, the small ones, believe they are the 3 oz cans. Them, I had more room to make adjustments, as long as they are getting the wet. Did alot of research on the grocery store ones, which didn't like going that route, but sometimes you don't have a choice. Sometimes stuff happens that you don't have any control over. So went with Fancy Feast for them, temp for now. The small cans, believe they are 3 oz's too, are 59 cents, and sometimes they are on sale for 50 cents. And I watch them like a hawk, I make sure they both pee a big big spot every morning. Happy 4th of July to my buddy Munchie! And know that the big Bump always has your back, and is always here if ya need him!! :-h:-h:-h:-h:-h:-h:-h:-h:-h:-h:-h:-h:-h
    edited 4 July, 2010
    Thanks guys! It wouldn't be so bad but we are trying to save up for a new car engine. We both work full time, and make enough moolah, but with trying to save up for a car engine and having to have to pay a $300.00 a month car payment more a lawn ornament (the car that needs the engine) and an additional new car payment that's more than that, it has been tight.....daddy has agreed to let us try to alternate the cheaper brands with the 'better brands'. Right now our walmart has the fancy feast on sale for 30cents a can so we might get some of that, and mom has some bogo coupons for Whiska's little trays from her work....actually has a quite a few of those so she is going to use those to help out. Right now we are using Arm & Hammer Cat Litter we get the 28# box from Walmart that is normally 10.99 but mom has a bunch of coupons from work for $3 off so it makes it $7.99 which isn't bad. Does the litter from Family Dollar clump well? Is it usable in a littermaid? Does it have a lot of dust? Daddy has really bad asthma so we have to watch the dust content of the litter, mommy really likes the Precious Cat Litter by Dr. Elsey's but we've had to cut back to save up for the engine.
  • Jennifer NovakJennifer Novak DC (But my heart is still in BMember Posts: 595
    edited 4 July, 2010
    I totally understand your plight -- I've been there. Our vet advises a diet comprised mostly of wet because it's best for their urinary tract systems. I do give Coop a mix of wet -- two cans a day -- and dry. The dry is out of necessity, in case I get hug up at work or on the train. I just don't want him to starve. But he gets mostly wet. I just want to say kudos to you for posting and for caring about your kitties' diets. Just the fact that you posed the question shows your concern for them. And you're just trying to do what's best for your kitties on your budget. No one can fault you for that. Purrs to you! Coop & Coop's Mom ;c;
  • Sophie VeilleuxSophie Veilleux Member Posts: 182
    edited 5 July, 2010
    hmm the only problem about cheaper kinds of wet food is that you have to feed more of it! I feed half a 5oz can of wet to my kitty a day (she gets dry when im not there), but with a cheaper kind, it would have to be 1 whole can. I agree with getting bigger cans tho, and look online at amazon, they often have great combo deals. %:D%
  • Heather FisherHeather Fisher Member Posts: 10
    edited 6 July, 2010
    Hi, Callycat and I get both wet and dry. Mom mixes 1/2 can of water with 1/2 can of Fancy Feast each morning for each of us. We make sure she is up at 6 a.m. to do this. There is alway high quality dry food for us to munch on during the day along with the occasional treat of a little cooked chicken when mom has chicken for dinner. Cally is an old lady of 14 (but doesn't look a day over 6) and has been on this diet all her life, keeping in mind Cally has supplemented her diet with the occasional bird, mouse, small rat, moth, spider, etc. :n: She has never even had to have her teeth cleaned, she is disgustingly healthy. Me, I've only lived here for 2 years, but I really like it. %:D%
  • Jennifer HearinJennifer Hearin Member Posts: 1,939
    edited 8 July, 2010
    Hi Munchie, I discovered a new food at Target which looks good and is a pretty good deal. It's called "Boots & Barkley" which is a Target brand. They have the small 3 oz cans, and I thought it was a generic version of Fancy Feast because the flavors are very similar. But the ingredients are slightly different; and there's no menadione, no artificial flavors etc, no grains or wheat gluten (though it does have guar gum probably as a thickener). This was on about four of the varieties I looked at. It was 44 cents a can, but was on sale for 27 cents when I was there. It does have meat by-products about 4th or 5th on the ingredient list, but the first ingredients are whole meat and whole meat products. (Some clean by-products are okay; Dr. Hodgkins talks about that in her book). I couldn't find any additional info about this food online, but it looks decent to me for the price. Just wanted to pass that along. |^| P.S. It looks pretty new, so I don't know if it's available everywhere. :-k