Anyone feed Ziwi Peak?

Anna BurgioAnna Burgio ColumbiaMember Posts: 3,439
edited 9 July, 2010 in Food & Nutrition
I picked up a can of Ziwi Peak lamb formula just to experiment to see if our two picky cats would eat it and they loved it. I was blown away at how cheap it is to feed! The one cat currently eats Blue Buffalo wet food and the cost to feed each day is about $2.6 a day, while the Ziwi Peak only costs about $1.3 a day, and that's in individual cans, I bet if we found cases it would be even cheaper. So... an amazingly healthy commercial food for so little to pay.. what's the catch? :))

Comments

• Lisa ProvostLisa Provost Member Posts: 4,486
    edited 5 July, 2010
    Ziwipeak is actually a grain free high quality food Domino. I don't know why it's so inexpensive but good for them for making it cheaper than other brands! ;c;
  • Anna BurgioAnna Burgio ColumbiaMember Posts: 3,439
    edited 6 July, 2010
    Gonna give the company a call today. The can says that a 6.5 oz can feeds a 9lb. cat for 2 days, however the website says it only feeds for one day.
  • Lisa ProvostLisa Provost Member Posts: 4,486
    edited 6 July, 2010
    That's strange! Which flavor is it, specifically which of the ziwipeaks is it? I think they have a gourmet kind? I'm curious now. Let me know what the company says. They're in Australia or New Zealand, so be aware of that.
    edited 6 July, 2010
    Just the 6.5 oz. cans, lamb formula, venison formula, and venison and fish formula.
  • Molly StrothkampMolly Strothkamp MesaMember Posts: 1,381
    edited 7 July, 2010
    I feed the *dry* Daily Cat Venison ZiwiPeak. It looks like beef jerky. Lucy has severe food allergies so it's one of the only foods she can eat. As Alex mentioned, it is imported from New Zealand. I have had great communication from the company; I have the name and contact information of their US rep and she is very helpful if you have any questions. If you are interested, I will send her info to you. That sounds like a good deal. The dry is very, very expensive- about $14 for a very small 14 ounce bag but it lasts longer than it looks. All 3 of my cats love it!
  • Rebecca NowakRebecca Nowak Orange County, NYMember Posts: 1,397
    edited 7 July, 2010
    I feed the canned Ziwipeak venison and lamb formulas, but I have to order it as no stores around here carry it. I find it to be extremely expensive, but the quality is great and the cats really love it. i can\'t believe that you got a can for that price - lucky! I\'ve also bought the Daily Cuisine Air Dried jerky style food twice, but the boys aren\'t very excited about that. Purrs, Shade
  • Karen LeeKaren Lee The kingdom of Mer-lotMember Posts: 89,020
    edited 7 July, 2010
    http://www.ziwipeak.com/nzl/home.shtml There's a store locator on the web site. I think you can buy the food online from PetFoodDirect.com and OnlyNaturalPet.com :-k
    edited 7 July, 2010
    The can costs $2.69 but it says that it feeds a 9lb. cat for 2 days. The cost is different with you guys?
  • Jennifer HearinJennifer Hearin Member Posts: 1,939
    edited 8 July, 2010
    Hi Domino, So are they saying that a 9 pound cat would be getting 3.25 ounces per day split into two meals? I have read that cats need somewhere between 4-8 ounces of wet food per day (I've also read 6 - 8 ounces recommended), so I would think that having one 6.5 oz can wouldn't be quite enough for two days. I think my cats would be wanting more. Maybe it has something to do with the type of protein and the amount of calories, but it just doesn't seem like quite enough food? I'd be curious to read more of what the company says about that. Also, $2.69 for a 6.5 oz can is pretty costly. I can get the large 12.5 oz cans of Wellness and 13 oz Evo for $2.19. It does sound like a good food, though. Purrrs, Gump
    edited 8 July, 2010
    Hi again. I buy my Ziwipeak from Only Natural Pet and they are currently charging $2.99/ 6.5 oz can (I think the price went up). I wish the 13.2 oz dog cans were the same formula as the cat food, then we could save a bit of money. I also can\'t imagine that a 6.5oz can of food could last a cat for 2 days. I guess, however, if you can use the same calculation that we do for raw (weight of cat in oz x 2-4% body wt = amt in oz to feed/day), if you have a 10lb cat and only want to feed 2% body weight per day (160 x 0.02 = 3.2 oz), then it could last that long. That would never work for my guys though! Purrs, Shade
    edited 8 July, 2010
    The can actually says "a 6.5 oz. can includes servings for a 9 lbs. cat for 2 days". The cat in question doesn't eat much as it is, so I thought if she'd be getting al her nutrition from something so small, I might as well take it. @Gump: Yes, off the bat that seems very expensive, however if that can will last two days of nutrition, than the daily cost of feeding is $1.3, which is awfully cheap. When I looked at the Wellness you buy a 12.5 oz. can at the same price but feed it over two days. So they're both equal in cost.
  • Karen LeeKaren Lee The kingdom of Mer-lotMember Posts: 89,020
    edited 8 July, 2010
    The feeding instructions on pet food labels are often inaccurate (ie too much food which means a lot gets thrown away). Feed your cat enough to maintain an ideal body weight. Your vet can tell you how much you should weigh.
  • Jennifer HearinJennifer Hearin Member Posts: 1,939
    edited 8 July, 2010
    Hi again Domino, It sounds like that works for her since she doesn't eat that much anyway. :D I think a lot of the food recommendations on labels are often too much. I've often seen the 'feed one ounce per pound of body weight' on cans - that is too much for most cats, and probably helps create overweight cats. My little girl, Nadia, could do the 6.5 oz can over two days, but Gump would want more. I guess it all depends on the cat. I've also heard about people being healthier by eating less (not just due to the weight & calories aspect), so it's probably just better to have less food (although that would make some cats rather unhappy!) I'm going to try ZiwiPeak. Domino is a beautiful 18 year old boy, by the way. Purrs and best wishes to you, Domino!
    edited 8 July, 2010
    Thank you Gump, that makes perfect sense. Domino is an old guy and sometimes eats a lot and the next day hardly anything. Our other cat, Kate, eats very slowly and doesn't like to eat very much at a time. I got a few cans of Ziwi for Domino because it's so stinky, and a few cans for Kate because I'm content that she's getting all her nutrition from such a small amount. Merlin, the reason we're doing this is my worry for proper nutrition intake. If Kate only eats half of what she is supposed to, then I fear she would become sick due to deficiencies.
    edited 9 July, 2010
    Hi Domino. Well then what the can says pretty much matches the formula that I mentioned in my other post. It\'s good the know that Ziwipeak is not one of those companies that suggest feeding excessive amounts of their food per serving as most do!:D I agree that Domino has a very striking face! Purrs, Shade