How to feed when you have one adult and one kitten?

Katherine EvansKatherine Evans Clinton, MOMember Posts: 105
edited 11 July, 2010 in Food & Nutrition
These cats are used to being free fed. They are also suffering from what I call new home syndrome, where they hide like crazy until comfortable. One is 8 weeks old and the other is 5 years old. Do I try to get them to eat from their own dishes brining them to their hiding spots for now or do I use an all life stages formula for now and leave it out for them to eat when they feel safe enough to? Once they are over the new home syndrome, do I give them their own dishes and do feeding times? The 5 year old needs to lose weight. They were free fed and he is big. Not healthy big, not good genes big, FAT big. He is in the lineup to see the vet for their oppinion but since he is one of the new animals in our care he has to wait. Any advice to get us started would be great. Silver and Boo\'s Mom

Comments

• Katherine EvansKatherine Evans Clinton, MOMember Posts: 105
    edited 10 July, 2010
    Well, Silver still isn't eating, he just wants to hide. I am really not sure what to do about him. Should I pop a can of moist food and slip it into his hiding spot or let him be? We brought him home Thursday night. :? :^: :?
  • Heather ThompsonHeather Thompson BountifulMember Posts: 3,652
    edited 11 July, 2010
    First off read this site: Clicky: Cat Info We have 1 kitten and 4 adult cats, all our cats except one eat canned food only diet as it's healthier for them (not to mention they LOVE it). Mini can't eat canned food as she has a neurological condition. Our kitties are fed 3x a day, and each one has their own bowl, Mini gets fed in the bathroom with the door shut, and the kitten gets fed in a carrier.
  • Tina BTina B Vancouver IslandMember Posts: 2,238
    edited 11 July, 2010
    Just want to reiterate what Munchie said. Great site too (catinfo.org) Lots of info there for your predicament. A high protein wet food will help your overweight cat loose weight, and will be good for your kitten as well. Canned foods that you can feed both are Wellness grain free, Wellness Core, Evo cat and kitten, Evo 95% line, and Natures Variety. Also in case you miss it on that site that we recommended, do not feed your overweight cat what it says on the can, or bag. it is always overstated. On that site it will tell you how figure out the amount of calories to feed by your weight. For your kitty that is scared and hiding make sure you go and give her the food in her hiding spot, you dont want either cats going without food for too long, not more than 24 hrs. Other wise they can get sick (hepatic Lipidosis) Giving htem their food in their hiding spot may help them calm down a bit, and feel more comfortable. If they still wont eat you are going to have to give them food through a syringe (canned food with water added to it) Make sure they have lots of water available too. P.S. Set feeding times are best, but for a kitten who is still growing feeding them as much as they want until they are about 8 months old is ok.