Different textures?

Stacia BennettStacia Bennett Athens, GAMember Posts: 1,011
edited 14 July, 2010 in Food & Nutrition
So I still haven't found a food that Maddox absolutely loves (except raw chicken, but I am not quite ready to go full out raw yet). He DOES NOT like the texture of the Taste of the Wild we food (it is little squares of food in gravy). He licks the gravy up and leaves the squares. He doesn't really like chunky foods, but doesn't like the "pate" kind either. I took him to the vet and they gave him a bowl of Science Diet I/D, and he DEVOURED it. I mean he attacked it like he hadn't eaten in weeks. It is the consistency of ground hamburger in gravy kind of. Does anyone know of a canned food that is similar to this in texture? Just for reference, he has tried TOTW (didn't like it), Merricks Grammys Pot Pie (he eats it, but not with enthusiasm), and Wellness Grain Free Chicken (liked this the best, but doesn't love it). What he loved was the Science Diet, and I refuse.

Comments

• Lisa ProvostLisa Provost Member Posts: 4,486
    edited 8 July, 2010
    Of course he devoured it, it's junk! Cats know junk when they taste it and will always love that more. Good for you for sticking to your guns. Try Natural Balance grain free flavors like Venison, Turkey and Giblets and some of the fish ones. I think that's pretty comparable to Science Diet but BETTER.
  • Stacia BennettStacia Bennett Athens, GAMember Posts: 1,011
    edited 9 July, 2010
    Thanks Alex! I have seen NB and thought about trying it, but I don't remember seeing any grain free ones, but I didn't look that closely at the ingredients. We will definitely give it a shot!
  • Rebecca NowakRebecca Nowak Orange County, NYMember Posts: 1,397
    edited 9 July, 2010
    Hi Maddox. The NB Limited Ingredients (chicken, salmon, duck, and venison) cans are grain free, but I don\'t know about the texture compared to regular NB as I\'ve only fed the LID. Have you tried Nature\'s Variety Instinct? My cats go crazy for the lamb. The texture is a pate, but it is harder/denser/crumblier than other pates and there is always an \"au jus\" type gravy/juice. Others that you could try if you haven\'t already would be the EVO 95% (a soft pate), Ziwipeak (see other thread, hard consistancy), Merrick\'s Ocean Breeze or Surf & Turf (as recommended by my cats, probably the same consistancy as Grammy\'s Pot Pie), or Weruva (shreds of meat in gravy, low calorie, grain free). Best of luck! Shade
    edited 9 July, 2010
    I would love to feed him Instinct, but it is really expensive here :( $2 to $2.50 a can is a bit much on my college student budget lol. I will check on the others though. He eats the Merrick ok, just not quite as enthusiastically as he did the Science Diet. I think I will pick up some Weruva too. He loves raw chicken, and I feed it to him sliced up, so maybe that will be similar. I am going to the store today, and think I may just pick up several different kinds and see which ones he seems to like best.
    edited 9 July, 2010
    Hi again Maddox. I forgot that you are a young kitten. I wouldn\'t feed Weruva to young kittens as their main diet. Kittens need way more calories and fat than Weruva contains, but you could probably use it ocassionally. Definately look for an \"all life stages\" or kitten forumala food. I\'m sorry that I forget, but why don\'t you just want to go all raw right now while he\'s a kitten? Kittens are usually easier to convert than older cats. Purrs and good luck shopping! Shade
    edited 9 July, 2010
    I just feel like I need to do some more research, and I haven't taken care of some sourcing issues (like, I haven't been able to find secreting organ) so I just don't feel like I need to go with it just yet. I am feeding him SOME raw, and he loves it, but I haven't gotten it all figured out just yet. I need something to feed him while I am researching it and getting it all lined up.
    edited 9 July, 2010
    Maddox and Shade, I have some Natural Balance here and just checked out the cans. Some of them have ground brown rice as the grain listed and although I prefer to feed only grain free, rice doesn't bother me too much. Of all the grains that our IBD kitties eat on my website, rice doesn't usually affect them too much. I'd be more worried about things like barley, rye, wheat, wheat gluten, corn, etc. But if you were really worried about it then I'd stick with the L.I. ones. You can cross brands also, there's no rule about eating different flavors from different brands. My two kitties don't ever eat the same thing in even one day. As a matter of fact, rotating flavors & brands is the best way to go to prevent food intolerance.
    edited 10 July, 2010
    Hi Alex! Have you seen this? http://jn.nutrition.org/cgi/content/full/132/6/1745S It makes me worry about feeding rice, especially brown rice as it should still have some of the bran. I feed mostly raw, so I don\'t want to use anything that could decrease the amount of taurine being absorbed. Purrs, Shade
    edited 10 July, 2010
    Good news! He likes the Natural Balance (got the grain free kind). Still not devouring it like he did the Science Diet, but he is eating it fairly enthusiastically!
    edited 11 July, 2010
    Hi Shade, I took a look at it and it is worrisome but I have to wonder that since this study was done in 2001-2002, if this is the case about rice and rice is in so many cat foods now, why hasn't there been a significant increase in taurine related illnesses or deaths? Not saying it's not true but I'd like to see more data on this. I'm going to need to look into this further but that study was done by Purina (not my favorite company) and just doing a quick search about stabilized rice bran comes up with my medical benefits than anything. I will email you with any research I come up with later on but I will tell you that stabilized rice bran itself is in the Eaglepack holistic formulas. Those formulas have literally brought back several kitties from death's door inlcuding my nephew kitty! I'm not pro rice or anything, don't get me wrong. But rice has been a staple in chinese and japanese diets for years. I need to do some further research on this. Maddox that's awesome news about the Natural Balance. Science diet is like a drug so give it time for him to get used to the new food. If he starts to turn away from it, mix it with the science diet for awhile and gradually put less and less of the science diet in his food. You can't pull the plug on a drug addict like a bandaid. It may come down to little at a time.
    edited 11 July, 2010
    Thanks Alex! He was on Science Diet dry food at the shelter, but he wasn't really interested in eating it (or anything else for that matter) when I first got him. They just gave him some canned science diet at the vet the other day and he literally inhaled it. This is after he has been on only premium canned food for 2 weeks. I just haven't been able to find something that he loves like he loved that science diet lol. We tried Felidae this morning and he like it pretty good too!
    edited 11 July, 2010
    If Maddox likes the Natural Balance and the Felidea, the best thing to do is keep a list of all the ones that he does like, keep several cans of each on hand and rotate them. That way he doesn't get bored and doesn't get used to one protein source. Keep try others also! Cats are so darned picky, mine are too!
  • Toffy_VanessaToffy_Vanessa Member Posts: 4,074 ✭✭
    edited 12 July, 2010
    Perhaps you could try adding a small amount of water to the pate style food to see if he likes the softer texture better.
  • Sophie VeilleuxSophie Veilleux Member Posts: 182
    edited 12 July, 2010
    I switch between wellness, chicken soup, natural balance and eaglepack holistic for wet food because she easily gets tired of the same kind all the time, so this variety keeps her happy. You could also try baby food, if he likes that then you can mix it in..
  • Diane HooperDiane Hooper Member Posts: 314
    edited 14 July, 2010
    Just a quick addendum to Leia\'s comment: be sure the baby food doesn\'t contain onion (powder, etc.)--it\'s bad for cats. I hope this helps! :)