I need some advice! My head is spinning with all this new information!

edited 22 July, 2010 in Food & Nutrition
I am completely new to this site and just discovered it when I was researching cat nutrition. Okay...here goes... I have two cats (ages 8 and 9). Both are rescues. One I've had since she was a kitten and the other was adopted 2 years later. For a while I was feeding them Nutro dry food. This was before all the recalls and I was happy with the product. However...due to financial constraints I had to cut back and I regret doing this, but I had to. I began them on Iams Weight Control since one is kind of chubby. I did this for about 5 years. I did only dry...not canned due to no knowledge and money. Fast forward until now. I just took them to the vet and I was told about canned food. I thought for years that this was not good for kitties. I'm just now learning. Anyway...I still have to do dry food. It just isn't in the budget to do all canned and I am gone quite a bit and have to have a fall back plan. But I am incoporating canned into the diet. I also changed dry formulas. Here is what we are on now: Blue Spa Indoor Formula (LOVE IT!) Avoderm and Blue Spa Canned (once daily...probably upping to have half can each instead of a fourth) I have heard mixed reviews about these foods. So far my girls are doing smashingly! Their fur is sleeker and they are more active. I have one who is VERY picky and does not like salmon apparently, but also isn't a fan of anything other than Avoderm or Blue Spa. I am also going to stick with chicken which is what the one girl will eat. Am I doing okay with my nutrition for my cats? I know all the studies and reviews about grain free and such but right now this is what fits my budget. Should I try a grain free canned? I'm very happy with the dry so far so I'm going to stick with that. (unless I can find a better food at the same price) I need some reassurance!!!!

Comments

• Renee RyzRenee Ryz Member Posts: 2,164
    edited 20 July, 2010
    It is very overwhelming isn't it? Believe me - I used to feed Maizy Science Diet at first - though I was doing the right thing. They have tried a couple different foods, but now they eat Blue Buffalo Wilderness. The canned the eat is the Pro Plan grain free ones. I have heard of the foods you are using, and there are some other catsters on here with tons more knowledge on food. We do the best we can cause we love our babies. I noticed that when I moved Tigger to 1/2 of a 3oz can at nite, he eats less dry. Maizy will only eat ocean fish wet food. I have tried more with her than I can count. So she gets that every few days, and eats the dry. We are working on broadening her horizons with the wet. I just buy a can or 2 of something that looks good by the ingredients, and what I read here & try it. Go to www.catinfo.org if you have not already - tons of info. Alex has a site for IBD kitties too - so there is lots of help & info here. As far as "what is the best cat food?" I think that varies from cat to cat, depending on their health and also on your budget. If you feed the best you can afford and research, you can't go wrong. Browse around the site, there is tons of info here. Welcome!|^|
  • edited 20 July, 2010
    Also..... Not to be a pest about questions. But I have just one more..... My cats won\'t eat all the wet food in one sitting. I\'m okay with leaving it out for a while, but how do I know how much each one is eating? I have one that would probably eat way more and leave the other one with kibble. Not that they would mind, but I am doing this to better both their lives! Any advice?
  • Amy CroweAmy Crowe Member Posts: 278
    edited 21 July, 2010
    I understand your concern about costs. Obviously there are better cat foods out there, but I think Blue Spa produces a very good product for its price. A cat sanctuary we work with uses Blue Spa because of the quality of the food and its value. Blue Spa did have one recall during the pet recall scare, but it really wasn't Blue Spa's fault and Blue Spa was very apologetic and mortified when it found out that it found had melamine in it.
  • BROOKE LOWRYBROOKE LOWRY TampaMember Posts: 6,037
    edited 21 July, 2010
    Chloe, I think you\'re doing fine! A lot of people think dry food is the way to go - the public has been sadly misled for a long time now, but the information is out there if you know where to look and even that you SHOULD be looking. So that you are doing independent research is to be commended. As commercial foods go, Blue and Avoderm are both very good. Certainly in terms of what you can get in the big box stores like Petco and Petsmart, you won\'t really find much better in there. Wellness is another you may want to look into. Bottom line, as much wet food as you can is what you want to aim for, as much as your budget and schedule will allow for. You may also want to look into incorporating some raw food into your cats\' diet. For example, chicken gizzards and hearts are very inexpensively had at the grocery store - a nice big package of them for usually around a dollar is what I pay. Most cats really love them, and as they\'re tough and chewy, they\'re great for cleaning teeth. Just make sure you feed raw food several hours apart from any dry food. And really try to have whatever dry food you feed be at scheduled times in measured amounts, even if you have to rely on timed feeders. Really try to get away from free feeding of dry food if you are doing that, which a lot of people do. Good luck! And congratulations on the positive steps you\'ve already taken to better your cats diet!
  • Cathy AudorffCathy Audorff Janesville, WisMember Posts: 3,812 ✭✭
    edited 21 July, 2010
    There is tons of advice around here on pet food, and I think everyone has an opinion. When Mommy had her first cat, she was told that feeding canned food wasn't good for them. Now she knows that isn't true. We recently changed to Blue Spa dry food, after trying lots of different dry foods. We are somewhat picky and Mommie did lots of different trials recently to see what we might all eat. My sisfurs eat canned Fancy Feast, but only the classic formula. None of us seem to like fish flavors, no matter what kind of food it is. I am one of those cats that just won't eat wet food, no matter what! But I do like the Blue Spa dry food!
  • Lisa ProvostLisa Provost Member Posts: 4,486
    edited 21 July, 2010
    Thanks Maizy! We appreciate you mentioning our site. The unfortunate thing these days is that there really isn't too many companies left that hasn't had a recall. Even Feline's Pride has had a few lately and they are one of the best. As long as a company issues the recall immediately and does the best it can to let the consumer know of the problem, that's all we can ask for right now. That's a whole other discussion I could get into! What I would do is really try and go with something grain free. As far as cost is concerned Fancy Feast has many flavors that are grain free, just look for the ones without any gluten or wheat or anything like that. There are quite a few. You could switch between the wet and dry if that's affordable to you. Dry isn't the best but this is a very tough economy and some people need to do what they need to do. There are definitely ways to feed grain free and healthy without breaking the bank. My foods page on my site has a long list of grain free foods, and the flavors of FF on listed there for you. http://ibdkitties.net/Food.html.
  • Lisa DausmanLisa Dausman Member Posts: 5,216
    edited 21 July, 2010
    How much wet are you feeding and how often? If they are not eating it in 5 min, that tells me they don't like it. But it also depends on much you are putting down and how often. :D I feed Blue Wilderness, they get 1/2 3 oz can, twice a day, mixed with water, so its soupy, and its gone in 5 min, if it takes them that long. Bumpurr gets the BW dry, long story, and the amount I give him, is also gone in 5 min. They eat in their carriers, some eat faster than others, this way everybody gets only what they are supposed to get, and everybody does not get short changed, and its a good way to see if someone is not eating, or is taking too long. :D I think leaving wet out all day, you are running the risk of it going bad or bacteria, I myself would not, I would figure out why, first, they are not finnishing it. Shadow, just say no to kibble krack, is real good at this stuff, mol. :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D
  • BambergcatBambergcat Member Posts: 838 ✭✭✭
    edited 21 July, 2010
    I use only wet food here and Wellness is my favorite but i do add FF at times to my other cat's renal food. I used to use dry food in the morning and wet food at night. Then, my cat develped an urinary tract infection as well as early kidney disease. I found the info about cats not drinking enough. Dry food is just not good for them unless that is the only food that they will eat. With the kidney disease, they do better with only wet food. My healthy cat will eat wet food within five minutes while older cat takes most of the day. I read somewhere that wet food can be left out for ten hours. I do have feeders with ice on the bottom. I have thrown out my dry food. Wet food without grains in it is the best...but there are other opinions...You will have your own in time....Sharon
  • edited 21 July, 2010
    For starters we only did evening feedings because I didn't want to make it overwhelming. However...I've now started doing morning feedings as well. Right now what I can afford is one 5.5 ounce can split between the two. I know it's not the most opportune set up, but right now that is what I have to do. Hopefully in the future (sooner than later) I can make it all canned. They are not eating it all in 5 minutes. I will bring them back to the bowl, but they won't eat it all. I have one that seems to be pickier than the other. Today I picked up some Wellness Grain Free because I found a store that has it reasonably priced. I got the chicken because when I tried the turkey only one would eat it. I guess I just feel like I'm going through a lot of cans a day to find the ones they like. I never thought I would do that! HAHA! However...my babies are totally worth it I know. Thank you everyone for your opinions and options. I'm learning and trying. I figure at this point some wet food is better than none which is what they had before. I will slowly work my way up to what I can afford and keep my babies healthy.
  • Kelly M-Kelly M- Member Posts: 779
    edited 21 July, 2010
    Hi! Everyone has to learn somehow. I read catinfo.org. and thats when I promised myself if I were to ever get another kitty, it would be fed primarily wet food. I feed dry too, overnight though. I feed Wellness grain free canned. And Wellness Core at night. It works for me. Plus I feed Hunter 3 times a day. I leave the food out. Not all day. Hunter will eat at 6am, and usually by 7:30 or so, its completely gone. Do whatever works for you. I've learned that yea, its great to ask for advice and people can tell you what they've done. But you know your lifestyle and financial situation. I'm sure you'll make it work. Good Luck!
  • Janet WestJanet West StroudMember Posts: 2,239
    edited 22 July, 2010
    Hallo..!! Tambolina\'s Meouwmy here...... I don\'t know much (if anything) about what is good for cats to eat......but I just wanted to say that it is LOVELY to know that you are trying to do the best for your cats......(the stuff you all can get in America is different to what we get here, anyway).... I have always fed my cats \'all-sorts\'...a bit of wet, a bit of dry, a bit of raw......most of them have lived to an old age......you must do what you can for your kitties and what you can afford.....it seems to me that having a happy home (for however long) is what is the most important.......(this, to my mind goes for people, too) Keep going at it and good luck to you and your furry babbies...... Jan (and Tambolina)