Does Blue Wilderness chicken dry smell like fish?

Marta GasperMarta Gasper FairburyMember Posts: 636
edited 22 July, 2010 in Food & Nutrition
Mom got us Blue Wilderness chicken dry..ugh smells like fish! I won\'t eat it, two of my brofurs won\'t either. But she got us BW chicken canned too and we love it, it doesn\'t smell like fish..does anybody eat BW chicken dry and does it smell like fish?? Mom says they must have made a mistake, put fish in a chicken bag..is afraid to try the rabbit flavor now..

Comments

• Marla BradfordMarla Bradford Palm Beach CountyMember Posts: 630
    edited 20 July, 2010
    Miss P eats Blue Wilderness duck and it does have a slightly fishier odor, I admit, than some of the other dry foods. She did not care for the canned food -- still prefers her Weruva wet. I think the fishy odor is due to fish meal that appears to be a component in all the dry wilderness foods (added for the fatty acids). It's not a primary ingredient -- but we all know that doesn't matter to a picky kitty! You are the first I've heard to point out the fishier odor, but you're right. I'm probably just desensitized to it since we keep our cat and dog food next to each other (in containers) and the dog food is the Wilderness Salmon. I suggest you try the Blue Basics recipe since it has a nice simple ingredient list that doesn't include fish oils/fish meal. Also good for picky eaters.
  • Stephanie JohnsonStephanie Johnson Member Posts: 556
    edited 20 July, 2010
    Yep, there's fish meal in it. I looked at their website and looks like all the Wilderness flavors have some kind of fish. They do have a "Basics" one (Turkey) that doesn't have any fish though.
  • Marta GasperMarta Gasper FairburyMember Posts: 636
    edited 20 July, 2010
    Thank-you Pepper and Isabelle! Makes perfect sense..we'll try the Basics
  • Lisa DausmanLisa Dausman Member Posts: 5,216
    edited 22 July, 2010
    I just went and smelled my bag, and after I just fed everybody, mol, and they saw the bag, and thought they were getting fed again, mol. :D NO, it does not smell like fish. We are talking about the chicken Blue Wilderness dry, in the blue bag? Where did you get the bag from? Did you check the exp date? They are ballpark on July 2011. Its hard to read, its on the back, kinda near the uppper right hand corner, its printed in blue ink, on the blue part of the bag. Are you sure you don't have an expired bag? On the front, there should be a pink circle, something to the effect of smaller size crunchies, thats another way to tell if you have a current bag. :D If the bag seriously does not smell right to you, and your kitty prev ate it, and now is not, take it back to where you got it from and ask for an exchange, if your kitty prev ate it, and now will not, there is something wrong with that batch, or it is expired, if you need it, I have the phone # for the reps In AZ. :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D