What do you think?

Jana PhillipsJana Phillips RaleighMember Posts: 846
edited 27 December, 2006 in Food & Nutrition
Ok, so I don't have any updated pictures, but Tigg has gotten very fat, especially after his neuter. I noticed on another thread someone said their vet told them they couldn't put a kitten on a diet food. My vet said the opposite. He said that if it has enough protein, it is fine as long as you switch them back when they reach the target weight. Soooo, I bought some Chicken Soup adult lite dry food (32% protein, 9% fat), so that he can eat more. I do this because I was trying to do the "right" thing and feed less of his normal food, but when he was hungry, he became destructive and would tear into bags and stuff *sigh* Anybody else have the same problem? I bought some Nature's Variety raw frozen for Tigger to share w/ his canine friend, but I'm afraid if I only fed him the raw he would be destructive when he was hungry, lol....

Comments

• Yipee LadybugYipee Ladybug Member Posts: 3,805
    edited 9 December, 2006
    When I got fat (~6-9 mths of age) mommy switched me to wet food, made sure it was high protein and low carb. It seems to work out very well, as I lost the weight naturally without resorting to diet foods. And I got to eat all I want. You might want to try it, Tigster (cool nickname by the way!). By the way, gaining weight after being neutered/spayed is apparently very common. Me and Marie didn't have this problem, but my big sis Casey did. However, over time with exercise and changes in our cat food, she lost weight too [altho the primary cause was too much stress from mommy going to ER and then having to spend a week at the hospital...I don't recommend you do *that* to your mommy in order to lose weight...]. Good luck and keep us posted on how you're doing!
  • Jana PhillipsJana Phillips RaleighMember Posts: 846
    edited 9 December, 2006
    Thanks Donny! Tigg does usually get wet food in the AM (1 nutro pouch). I am going to try giving him a raw medallion or two instead of wet in the morning (just picked it up today) and see how it goes. I tried giving him just wet food for a couple of days but had to stop when he became destructive again when he was hungry during the day. I considered giving him wet food twice a day and leaving out a little diet dry during the day to munch on, but I'm not sure if that would make him gain more weight....*sigh* His new nickname will be Tiglet if he keeps acting like a pig! lol
  • Diane HallwirthDiane Hallwirth PoulsboMember Posts: 20,342
    edited 9 December, 2006
    Our dogs eat chicken soup, but someone at Mud Bay pet store told us that brand seems to be like junk food to cats- they just can't get enough. I agree that a good quality canned food is best for weight loss- our three LOVE Merrick. But none of them are what I'd call thin...
  • Yipee LadybugYipee Ladybug Member Posts: 3,805
    edited 9 December, 2006
    Tiglet...that's not a cool name! Keep with Tigster...much better! ; ) My mommy did put out some dry for us during the day, or she would be anxious at work all day worrying if we had enough to eat. Esp if she came home late unexpectedly. You might want to try getting some more exercise...get your mommy to play with you with some awesome toys, like feather on a string...or really any string! Wow, I could play for half an hour...well mommy could, I'd being playing for hours if they'd let me! My mommy bought me Wellness brand wet food which worked well for me to reduce my weight....
  • Nicole MartinNicole Martin CranfordMember Posts: 185
    edited 16 December, 2006
    He shouldn't get as hungry with the raw food. It should also help to keep him trimmed down. Kittens need more then just protein so I would definately say it's not a super good idea to put him on a diet food since they usually contain mostly fillers. What brand was he eating before the chicken soup lite? It could be that it contained too many carbs. Check out the link below for more info. http://www.api4animals.org/facts?p=359&more=1
    edited 17 December, 2006
    No, he was on EVO before hand with two wet meals during the day. I do know that lite foods contain mostly fillers, but the Chicken Soup lite isn't too bad.
  • last emilylast emily samarindaMember Posts: 1
    edited 25 December, 2006
    chiken soup??? yup, it nice eat cat ;)
    edited 26 December, 2006
    Just an update-- I had to eliminate canned from his diet because I think that was a big culprit...because he would eat all the canned, then the same amount of dry. He also refused to eat the raw :( Anyways, I am now mixing Solid Gold Katz-N-Flocken with Chicken Soup Adult Lite dry and he loves it!
  • Karen LeeKaren Lee The kingdom of Mer-lotMember Posts: 89,020
    edited 26 December, 2006
    Fat content isn't the only thing that makes a cat fat. Too many calories can do it, too. I read on another web site that a cat should get 20 calories per ideal body weight a day. If you need to weigh 10 pounds, then you will need about 200 calories a day. Excercise will also help keep the extra pounds off. A cup of Chicken Soup Light "as fed" is 28% fat, 35% protein, 37% carbs (too high, IMO), and 302 calories. You can see the "as fed" nutirional values for varius brands of dry food here: http://www.geocities.com/jmpeerson/dryfood.html The canned food chart is here: http://www.geocities.com/jmpeerson/canfood.html The values on food labels are of no use because they are "guaranteed" mimimum/maximum values, not the actual nutritional value of the food. Canned food is best for reasons listed here: http://www.catinfo.org
  • alyssa elkinsalyssa elkins east brunswickMember Posts: 169
    edited 26 December, 2006
    {{Just an update-- I had to eliminate canned from his diet because I think that was a big culprit...because he would eat all the canned, then the same amount of dry. He also refused to eat the raw :( Anyways, I am now mixing Solid Gold Katz-N-Flocken with Chicken Soup Adult Lite dry and he loves it!}} If you feed him canned, there's no reason to also feed him dry. Most cats given as much food as they want will eat more than they need to.
    edited 26 December, 2006
    As I mentioned before that isn't an option as he becomes aggressive and tears things up in the house when he is hungry....he is much much happier when he has dry to munch on (and doesn't wreck all my stuff!)
  • Lindsay PoveromoLindsay Poveromo Winter SpringsMember Posts: 350
    edited 26 December, 2006
    We love Solid Gold! Mama says it's the food that was the answer to all of her prayers! Even the most finicky eater (that'd be my silly sister Landon!) loves it. We've all been so healthy since mom started feeding it to us.
  • Sharon BraatenSharon Braaten Great BarringtonMember Posts: 842
    edited 27 December, 2006
    I am a pig. I have struggled with the same problem as you. When Mom tries to cut back my food I tear the house apart! (That\'ll teach her!) Even if I have a little bit of food left, it is not good enough for me and I will climb the screens, jump on shelves, knock stuff over, etc. We have tried some different foods like Natural Choice Weight Management, but that didn\'t seem to help my weight. We get wet food at night, usually Merrick (we LOVE california roll flavor) or pet guard, something natural. Mom recently switched to Katz-n-Flocken because she liked how the first ingredient is meat and it has high protein. I seem to be eating less, but it is too soon to see if I am losing weight. My coat definitely looks shinier though. Good luck! Us cats can be very frustrating!
  • Sharon BraatenSharon Braaten Great BarringtonMember Posts: 842
    edited 27 December, 2006
    I am Yoda's kitty brother. When I run out of food (or just have crumbs left) I bite feet! Hard! Those humans never learn but I wil teach them! Muah ha ha ha ha ha!
    edited 27 December, 2006
    Thanks guys! I'm happy to know Tigg isn' t the only kitty that gets mad when he's hungry, lol. So far he loooves the Solid Gold, and I noticed he is eating much less. I may just take out the Chicken Soup Lite all together and just feed the SG. So far it's only been 3 days, so it's too early to tell if he's shedding some chub. Hopefully it will work out!