Dear Catster reader,

Almost two years ago, we invested numerous resources and rebuilt the Catster community. With new hardware, software and personnel, we did our best to satisfy the many users who shared their thoughts, pictures, questions, and love for and of their pets with us and friends. It was a thriving community with many users. We hoped, however, there would be more like you.

Times and habits have changed and we are sad to announce that the Catster community will be closing down on July 20, 2019.

Catster magazine, www.catster.com and the associated social media sites are NOT shutting down. We encourage you to continue reading the content found in the pages of the magazine and the web sites, commenting through the mechanisms provided and sharing your ideas and comments with us and your fellow readers.

Instructions for accessing pet profiles were shared with everyone in 2017. The instructions can be found elsewhere within the forum. AFTER JULY 20TH, YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO ACCESS THIS CONTENT. And, effective immediately, we are no longer able to answer questions about the community.

Thank you for your support and we look forward to serving you through our magazine and website.

Cheers,
Catster

Pumpkin pie filling!

Sophie VeilleuxSophie Veilleux Member Posts: 182
edited 23 July, 2010 in Food & Nutrition
I just had to share the amazing powers of pumpkin pie filling. My kitten has had wet poops since I got her 5 months ago! I used to feed dry wellness and a variety of grainless wet foods. Then I switched to chicken soup dry, cut out beef and fish from the wet food and that helped for a day or two. Then it continued.. Someone who works at Pet Valu where I go every week to refill my wet food stack recommended pumpkin to harden her poop. And voila! It worked! I am so happy, I do not have to wipe her bum anymore when she jumps in bed with me after her early morning poop :)) I just add two spoonfuls of it to her wet food in the morning and night. Just wanted to share in case there are other's struggling with wet poops %:D%

Comments

• Aaron LeeAaron Lee SeattleMember Posts: 251
    edited 14 July, 2010
    congrats! I'm surprised we don't see pumpkin in more wet foods, as it's a good source of digestive fiber!
  • Lisa ProvostLisa Provost Member Posts: 4,486
    edited 14 July, 2010
    Wait, are you using the pie filling or just PLAIN canned pumpking? You shouldn't ever use the pie filling, it contains sugars and extra ingredients you don't need. All that sugar will overwork your pancreas. Always use only the PLAIN canned pumpkin. Congrats on it working though! It works for us too when we need it. Try to get an organic brand. There's one called Farmer's Market organic pumpkin that is much better tasting and better consistency than the regular kind.
  • ZACKandZOEYZACKandZOEY Cave Creek, AZMember Posts: 12,043 ✭✭
    edited 15 July, 2010
    :-h Hi Sis!! I was thinking the same as Finnegan - make sure it is NOT pumpkin pie filling but pure canned pumpkin. It is usually in the same aisle. We also have an organic one at our store that cats seem to love. How long have you been getting the pumpkin? If your Mommy stops giving it to you, are your poops then normal? I bet your bum is so happy!
  • Sophie VeilleuxSophie Veilleux Member Posts: 182
    edited 15 July, 2010
    Honestly I will have to check when I get home because it was the only can of pumpkin I could find, and this is a big expensive grocery store so I was surprised! If it's too much sugar I will throw out the rest and look for organic..I hadn't even thought about it :-/ It has been 4 days since I started and I've been giving it to her everyday, so i'm not sure how her poop will be when I stop. Thanks for the advise guys!|:|
    edited 15 July, 2010
    That's okay, at least you posted it here and were able to get the facts about it. No matter what product I am getting for my kitties or recommending for others, I always, ALWAYS make sure there are no sugars, sweeteners, artificial flavoriings, etc. They go by many names so you have to be educated on those. I have info on my site about how sweeteners can be harmful to them. I've also got a news article link about it: http://ibdkitties.net/Supplements.html. If you can't get the organic kind just yet, just make sure it's the regular pumpkin and you can look for the organic one later. The one we use is called Farmer's Market Organic pumpkin. You can see the difference in texture, color, etc. and my cats love the taste much better than Libby's or the others. I don't think a couple of days of it did any harm, you'll be fine. =;
  • BROOKE LOWRYBROOKE LOWRY TampaMember Posts: 6,037
    edited 15 July, 2010
    Leia, have you ever had your kitten to the vet to see if you can determine the cause of the loose stool? The thing is, even if it\'s plain pumpkin, it\'s still essentially MASKING a problem, NOT curing it. For occasional, short-term use, I agree, plain pumpkin, NOT pie filling, can work wonders. But it should not be used long term. You need to find out what the root cause of the loose stool is and treat it.
  • Calisse` BasadaCalisse` Basada DenverMember Posts: 339
    edited 15 July, 2010
    I'm glad it helped! I always tell people to get a can of squished pumpkin so stop loose stool and it always does the trick. I was going to mention that you should use a can of regular smashed pumpkin and not the filling because the filling has too many other things in it that aren't good for your kitty, but it seems that this was already brought up.
    edited 15 July, 2010
    Well it's been going on for 5 months and she is a kitten so of course I have been to the vet about it, but they say as long as she is acting normally otherwise it isn't an issue. They've tested her poop and all that type of stuff. They also like to recommend me going on hill's prescription diet food to see if that helps..so you can see how helpful a vet can be..I delt with it myself and am so far happy with the results. If it continues when I stop the pumpkin, then I will most likely try the eagle pack transition stuff.
    edited 15 July, 2010
    Then it has to be food related. The food she's eating is most likely doing this to her. Could be food allergy, could be just a particular ingredient. What is she currently eating? When the vet checked her out, did they do a fecal exam and bloodwork to check for worms, bacteria, etc.?
  • BROOKE LOWRYBROOKE LOWRY TampaMember Posts: 6,037
    edited 15 July, 2010
    Hi, Leia. I didn\'t mean to offend you by asking whether or not she had been to a vet. Common sense would dictate that a vet visit would be in order in the case of something that had been an issue for an extended period of time, but nonetheless, you would be amazed at how long people will let something go on without getting it checked out. Therefore, I\'ve learned to ask, because you just never know. :) In any case, Finnegan\'s theory about a food allergy is certainly well within the realm of possibility, so I would also be curious about what Leia is eating. Also, giardia is another possible cause of this type of thing, and it can be hard to diagnose. Good luck!
    edited 15 July, 2010
    Oh I was not offended! Just stating that as any responsible cat owner should do, I have taken her to the vet bc she is my baby that I love and care about :D But I do understand there are some who don't hence you asking. She was recently spayed and they tested EVERYTHING, and have tested her poops many times. Never found anything. I took her off wellness dry and put her on chicken soup dry (for snacking) and got rid of fish and beef flavoured wet foods... Those are usual culprits right? Anyways I will see what happens when I stop the pumpkin.:-k
    edited 15 July, 2010
    Hi Leia, good to know then that she's already had tests done. That's one thing out of the way. There are really no usual culprits when it comes to allergies. It could be anything. If you're feeding ANYTHING with grains, please try something completely grain free and see if that helps. If not, you'll just have to keep doing an elimination process of different proteins. Try another meat source like turkey or duck instead and see if that helps. Honestly, I'd just try the Eaglepack now and not wait. You can still do the pumpkin at the same time but it has healthy bacteria in it to replace the ones that she's losing with the loose stool.
    edited 15 July, 2010
    Wellness was grain free and all the wet food brands I feed her are grain free (and expensive mind you :-O) so that wasn't the problem. Her poops aren't diarrhea or anything, and she only goes about 3 times a day, I think some kitties just have looser poops than others, especially as kittens. Her poops are hard and stable for now so I'm not going to start her on the eagle pack transition until I see what happens after I stop the pumpkin. Will keep you guys posted since I will stop today.
  • Annalisa Conserti-JonesAnnalisa Conserti-Jones Member Posts: 5,234
    edited 15 July, 2010
    She may be allergic to chicken. Have you tried feeding one of those limited ingredient diets (one source of protein, usually duck, venison or rabbit)? It would definitely rule out all the usual suspects.
  • Shelley CoxShelley Cox CarbondaleMember Posts: 2,752
    edited 15 July, 2010
    It's Stella. We were told that there is a big shortage of pumpkin because last year's crop was very small. So it might be hard to find in stores and expensive until this year's crop comes in. None of us will eat the plain pumpkin, even the nice organic kind from the health food coop. But we all like it when it's made into pumpkin pie! A long time ago, one of my person's mother's cats found an unbaked pumpkin pie sitting on the kitchen table waiting its turn to go into the oven. When they found the cat she was standing with her front feet in the pie, lapping away! Fortunately she did not get much. They decided to go ahead and bake the pie anyway, since the pie was going to be in a hot oven for an hour, and everyone who was coming to dinner was a cat lover. [In retrospect, not such a good idea, but in those days grocery stores were not open 24/7, and if there was anyone there who was allergic to cats, could have been bad.] Food allergies are very hard to pin down. I am allergic to something which makes me throw up, but since I am such a finicky eater, and won't eat venison, etc., they have never figured out what. If you have a kitten, you might be able to do the food tests before they get to be fussy older kitties like me. Purrs for the little kitten!
    edited 16 July, 2010
    Well today is my last day working full time, so I will be home everyday studying. That will give me a chance to test out one food at a time. I already switch between wellness, chicken soup, eagle pack holistic and natural balance wet foods, so I know she's not picky :D I will try one brand and one flavour for a couple of days at a time and see the results. I gave her duck and pea yesterday, but I haven't seen her go yet, she usually goes when no one is around (early morning, daytime and night).
    edited 16 July, 2010
    Just in case anycat has trouble finding canned pumpkin in their stores and really needs it, you can order it by the case on Amazon. Here is what we buy: **Farmer's Market Foods Organic Pumpkin** Mommy had ordered quite a few cases back when Angel RA needed it and all the cases but 1 came undented. The case that had some dented cans, I was refunded my money by Amazon. Leia, that will be so much fun for you to have your Mommy home. It will be much easier to figure out what is giving you loose poopies. Even if you like the different foods, there might be something in one that is not agreeing with you and because you were trying lots of different foods, it is hard to figure out which it is. Would be nice for your bum to go a little more solid poo. Try 1 food and 1 flavor at a time for a week, then add 1 more flavor or brand and then add another. Do it slowly and then if after adding one of them you get loose poo, you might know what to stay away from. Same with anything else like treats. We now usually go poopie 1 time a day, maybe 2 but it is solid. I say that because Leia knew I had a soft poo problem a while back too and now that Mommy just sticks to 1 brand of food with 2 flavors, I'm fine. I know Vets recommend eating different brands and flavors but it seems like we do better just on one brand. So everykitty has to do what is best for them.
    edited 16 July, 2010
    I'm guessing the one brand you stick to is Wellness right? I cut that out because she only liked the ones with fish, disliked the only chicken or turkey ones. Maybe I will start with eagle pack holistic because I have large cans of that. Need to see if her poop is still ok after being off the pumpkin, it's only been 1 day so far and haven't seen anything yet so :? Is 3 times a lot in a 24 hour period (once every 8 hours)? I thought it was normal, but you're saying you go once a day?? Would be nicer for poop scooping :))
    edited 16 July, 2010
    Yes, we stuck with Wellness because we really loved it but I know somecats don't like it or it doesn't agree with them and there are plenty of other good foods out there. We go usually once a day, sometimes 2 times a day. Even when I was having the looser poo, I was only going twice a day. I'm sure everykitty is different on that end too. So if you've always been going 3 times a day, that is probably normal for you. Like you mentioned some cats have softer poo on canned food but you just don't want it too soft that it is irritating her or making it messier for you to clean up. This food experiment will be interesting for your Mommy!
    edited 16 July, 2010
    That's the exact organic pumpkin we use too, the Farmer's Market one. When I mentioned Eaglepack I wasn't talking about the food. They have a flavored powder that you sprinkle on their food and it has probiotics and prebiotics in it. I use it on my nephew kitty Moufasa and it stopped his diarrhea when nothing else did! This stuff is great and he loves the taste. I only use it once in a while now. There are two, Transition Solution or Holistic Solution. If one doesn't work, try the other one, they have two different sets of probiotics. You should be able to buy it wherever you buy the Eaglepack food. It's very popular!
    edited 17 July, 2010
    Nono you were right I was talking about the eaglepack transition that you sprinkle but I will go to that if all else fails. I will try one type of wet food at a time first. And zack, I don't think her poo irritates her bum, it's not a big mess thanks to clumping litter and yes it could end up being that she is just one of those kitties that has soft poo because of wet food. I am the only one whom it bothers because I don't want her wet poopie bum to jump on my bed LOL when it's harder this isn't an issue :)
  • Molly StrothkampMolly Strothkamp MesaMember Posts: 1,381
    edited 18 July, 2010
    If it is allergies, just wanted to let you know that even the grain-free, \"premium\", and limited ingredient foods can still have allergens in them. That\'s why it\'s so hard to figure allergies out! For instance, Lucy is allergic to flax, flaxseed, tomato pomace, and eggs, among other things. She\'s allergic to every dry food. Every single one, she can only eat canned/wet food. We also know a number of kitties who are allergic to brewer\'s yeast and it can be a difficult ingredient to avoid. Hopefully, if your kitty does have allergies, they aren\'t too severe and you are easily able to identify the source. Please keep us updated and let us know if her symptoms get worse (more tummy problems, ear infections, skin issues, acne are all common allergy symptoms); there are other options to diagnosis and treat allergies for kitties. Take care! |:|
    edited 21 July, 2010
    well I found the can I bought at the grocery store and it was just pumpkin not the filling so that made me happy. It's been a while now that she hasent gotten any and her poops have remained healthy so I guess the problem is gone now~a~ we are both pleased:D
  • Kelly M-Kelly M- Member Posts: 779
    edited 22 July, 2010
    Hi Leia!! :-h I had loose stools a few months ago. Mom brought me to the vets, they gave me pills (Yuck!) and told mom to put Benefiber in my food once a day. Just sprinkle it on top. Well Mom doesn't know if it was the pills or the Benefiber that helped, but I'm all set now! Maybe you just need more fiber in your diet. If the pumpkin works for you, maybe have some once a week. Glad you're feeling better!!! %:D%
    edited 22 July, 2010
    ~a~ YAY!! Leia that is so great that your poopies are good now. I bet that your Mommy is very happy about that. And good too that your Mommy found out she was giving you the correct can of pumpkin. =D>
    edited 22 July, 2010
    Just a note about the Benefiber, be careful using that now. They changed the formula and didn't tell anyone! My mom was using it for her stomach issues and it used to help her alot! Then it started making her worse and she couldn't figure out why until her doctor told her they changed the ingredients! She can't remember what it is, but there's something not so good in there now and it doesn't work the same.
  • Kelly M-Kelly M- Member Posts: 779
    edited 23 July, 2010
    Ohh good to know Finnegan! Thanks! My mom stopped using it about a couple of months ago. She used it for a good 3 weeks to make sure my poops were okay. Now I'm all set! I'll make sure mom talks to her vet next time and hopefully they know about the change in ingredients!