Good quality cat food? Felidiea? Top of the line cat food?

Alycia ChaseAlycia Chase Member Posts: 350
edited 3 August, 2010 in Food & Nutrition
What's a good cat food? I am not really looking at price, I am looking at quality. Is Felidae as good as canidae, as far as quality? What's top of the line cat food? I have an allergy suffering cat and a male cat, I have a 6 year old, 13 year old and a 14 year old. If you need anymore information just let me know.

Comments

• Stacia BennettStacia Bennett Athens, GAMember Posts: 1,011
    edited 2 July, 2010
    I think Felidae is pretty good quality, but I don't think that all varieties are grain free (not 100% sure about this). I would definitely go with something grain free though. I know that Wellness has some grain free varieties, and their CORE line is supposed to be top notch. I am pretty new to the cat owning world though, so I can't really offer much more advice than that. Sorry!
  • Tina BTina B Vancouver IslandMember Posts: 2,238
    edited 2 July, 2010
    Felidae grain free is ok, though it does contain a bit too much salt. How do I know this? I feed my cats all wet food, and when I feed them Felidae, they seem to drink water on that day, when I feed them other wet foods they hardly drink anything at all. Wellness Grain free is a good food,and Wellness Core. Evo cat and kitten and Evo 95 % line is ok for now, but things may change due to the P&G takeover.
  • ellen sklarellen sklar ExtonMember Posts: 256
    edited 2 July, 2010
    Mom tried feeding us Felidae but we wouldn't eat it. Now she feeds us Wellness Core wet food and and we love it!
  • ZACKandZOEYZACKandZOEY Cave Creek, AZMember Posts: 12,043 ✭✭
    edited 2 July, 2010
    :-h We love canned Wellness grain free - turkey or chicken. Mommy loves it for us too. We've tried to add Wellness CORE a couple of times but even slowly it doesn't agree with my tummy so we are just going to stick with the regular Wellness.
  • Kelly M-Kelly M- Member Posts: 779
    edited 2 July, 2010
    I feed Hunter Wellness Grain free Wet food. Not the Core, he didn't like it. However, he does love his Wellness Core Dry as a snack! Hes such a weird kitty! %:D%
  • Alycia ChaseAlycia Chase Member Posts: 350
    edited 2 July, 2010
    So there's nothing that's like top top notch, like the dog food?
  • Paula K-Paula K- New YorkMember Posts: 2,244
    edited 2 July, 2010
    Top, top, notch? Raw. :)) What is your allergy kitty eating? Do you know what he's allergic to? I'm asking because I have allergies too. And unless you feed everyone separately you may need to feed the other cats around your allergy cat.
  • Deborah Elise WhiteDeborah Elise White Member Posts: 84
    edited 3 July, 2010
    I'm another fan of the canned foods made by Wellness (both regular Wellness and Wellness Core). Based on my reading--or, uh, my mowmy's reading--another high quality canned food that is supposed to be good for cats with allergy problems is California Naturals. It's not grain free, which some prefer, but is very good and limits ingredients which can be helpful for allergies. Although I mostly eat grain free myself, I am also extremely fond of Natural Balance Ultra which is another very high quality canned food. (It has some rice, but that's not the dominant ingredient.) Mowmy likes to experiment with other foods now and then -- her one experiment with raw did not go well (she wanted me to eat ... HUH?)and we think Evo, another grain free canned food, is also top of the line when it comes to canned. (Evo has people worried because the company was recently bought by Proctor and Gamble--but our attitude is "wait and see.")
  • Paula K-Paula K- New YorkMember Posts: 2,244
    edited 4 July, 2010
    Abby, I was able to eat some flavors of Evo and NB limited ingredient diets even with my allergies - I would recommend both too.
  • Sara KangSara Kang Member Posts: 403
    edited 9 July, 2010
    Grain-free cat foods are the best you can feed, right below a raw diet. If I had to pick a top notch brand, I'd probably say Orijen, as it is holistic, organic, free range, the whole 9 yards. Some other grain-free brands: Nature's Variety Instinct Taste of the Wild Wellness Wellness Core Innova Evo B.F.F. Weruva Felidae has a grain-free line, but most cats don't like the taste of it. There is a grain-free line, though you might want to try it. It looks so bland compared to other kibbles, and the wet food does not smell flavorful and is a dull light brown color... Natural Balance has a Duck and potato allergy formula you might want to try.
  • Rebecca NowakRebecca Nowak Orange County, NYMember Posts: 1,397
    edited 9 July, 2010
    I have to vote for the EVO 95% line (as long as it remains unchanged by P&G) as the top canned food. If your cat has allergies to fish though the formulas do contain herring oil. I would place NV Instincts as number 2. My only quibble is the veggies that they put in, but other than than it is an awesome food and the lamb formula is paws down all 3 of my cats favorite canned food. Unlike most others, I do not really like the Wellness food because of the potato/sweet potato and veggies. Also, my cats never seemed very interested the few times I tried it. As BK previously mentioned there are also the NB Limited Ingredients foods if you are having allergy problems. Purrs, Shade
  • Kori LugarKori Lugar LubbockMember Posts: 104
    edited 12 July, 2010
    I agree with everyone else, grain free is pretty much top notch. The brand I feed my cat is Solid Gold Indigo Moon holistic dry food. It's indgrediant list is great, it's both grain and gluten free, plus the price is pretty reasonable for its quality ($33 for 15 lbs).
  • Rachel HenneyRachel Henney AcampoMember Posts: 1,476
    edited 16 July, 2010
    I tried Felidae and Tigger went on a hunger strike he REFUSED to eat it!
  • Rachel HenneyRachel Henney AcampoMember Posts: 1,476
    edited 16 July, 2010
    I tried Felidae and Tigger went on a hunger strike he REFUSED to eat it!
  • Patricia HeilPatricia Heil IpswichMember Posts: 14
    edited 27 July, 2010
    We eat Orijen dry food, Now Grain Free dry food, WeRuVa wet food, Go! wet food, Instinct wet food, Merrick Turducken,
  • Kat WhickerKat Whicker ToledoMember Posts: 1,695
    edited 1 August, 2010
    im going to have to step in and disagree with grain free foods, because they are not all made the same. most are crap, because insted of grains as fillers, they just put a ton of poatoes or peas. most of the expensive grain free is mostly potatoes! this is very bad because starch is sugar, and cats cant do sugar. I have personally found that stuffing my cats full of potatoes also can cause them to get clogged up and not be able to poop. Best is canned food that has mostly meat, NO potatoes of any varitey. if you have to get some with grain get rice. stay away from corn and soy, and wheat glutin. be sure the canned food is balanced and complete. :)
  • Tina BTina B Vancouver IslandMember Posts: 2,238
    edited 1 August, 2010
    I have to step in and disagree too, if you buy the grain free ones like say Wellness, or Evo, they do not contain alot of potato in it. Though I do know that alot of these newer grain free ones that are jumping on the "grain free" bandwagon so to speak do contain alot of potato. A named protein source for the first 3 ingredients is the best, but it is hard to find sad to say, or they come in tiny cans that cost a fortune. Rice is a big no no, did you know that Rice is a starch too, and it also depletes the food you are feeding of Taurine.:-O
    edited 3 August, 2010
    ive heard conflicting info on that, so im not really sure. its hard to pick out the trends from fact, and cat food company 'facts' from real ones :( for sure get one that has more meat, but beware of "grain free" that contains potatoes and peas insted of grains. more meat is better, but all im saying is dont choose a bag just because it says grain free.
    edited 3 August, 2010
    i was really shocked to flip the bags over and see how much potatoes are in them. Core and Evo are best, but mine refuse to eat Evo, and last bag i got i had alot of vommiting.