Dear Catster reader,

Almost two years ago, we invested numerous resources and rebuilt the Catster community. With new hardware, software and personnel, we did our best to satisfy the many users who shared their thoughts, pictures, questions, and love for and of their pets with us and friends. It was a thriving community with many users. We hoped, however, there would be more like you.

Times and habits have changed and we are sad to announce that the Catster community will be closing down on July 20, 2019.

Catster magazine, www.catster.com and the associated social media sites are NOT shutting down. We encourage you to continue reading the content found in the pages of the magazine and the web sites, commenting through the mechanisms provided and sharing your ideas and comments with us and your fellow readers.

Instructions for accessing pet profiles were shared with everyone in 2017. The instructions can be found elsewhere within the forum. AFTER JULY 20TH, YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO ACCESS THIS CONTENT. And, effective immediately, we are no longer able to answer questions about the community.

Thank you for your support and we look forward to serving you through our magazine and website.

Cheers,
Catster

How much food do you feed your cat?

Kelly M-Kelly M- Member Posts: 779
edited 3 September, 2010 in Food & Nutrition
Hunter is 6 months old, and sometimes I don't know how much to feed him. He gets grain free wellness canned everyday. Usually I feed him 3 times a day. However there are days where its like he can't get enough food. Then there are days where he will barely eat anything all day. Usually I take a 5.5oz can and divide it up by 4. So a can lasts me a day and then another meal. Is that too little? I tried dividing it up by 1/3. But it was too much, he left a lot on his plate. Hunter is average. Not fat, but yet not overly skinny either. He has more muscle than anything really. Sometimes I feel bad, like I'm depriving him. I've never fed a cat canned food before. So even if I give him more occasionally, would that be okay? Or can cats still get overweight with canned food? How much do you feed your cat?

Comments

• Tina BTina B Vancouver IslandMember Posts: 2,238
    edited 28 July, 2010
    Hi Hunter:-h Since Hunter is still a kitten give him as much of the wet food as he wants. In about 2 months from now then you will have to start counting calories. At about 8 months of age take the weight of Hunter times that by 13.6 and add 70 this will give you the amount of calories Hunter should eat in a day. Just look on the can or companies web site to find out how many calories are in a can. You may want to start buying the larger cans, as it does work out to be cheaper that way, especially if you buy a case they give a discount.
  • ZACKandZOEYZACKandZOEY Cave Creek, AZMember Posts: 12,043 ✭✭
    edited 28 July, 2010
    Cats can get overweight on canned food also. It matters on how many calories they are taking in. Thanks Shadow for that easy calculation on the calories to feed =D> I'm very small and will always be small and luckily Mommy wasn't listening to everyone telling her that she should let me eat as much as I wanted or I'd be too overweight for my size. I know that every cat is a different size, breed, energy level so you have to think of all that. Our vet said not to always read what the food manufacturers recommend either. So good to follow what Shadow suggests as far as calories go. I once had a basketball tummy, then it went to a football (that is how my vet describes it ) and now I'm in good shape. My Mommy feeds us the small 3 oz cans (120 calories a can) and feeds us 5 meals a day (divides the cans into 1/4ths) to total what the Vet said we should eat. I usually get 1 1/4 to maybe 1 1/2 cans a day (150-180 calories) and Zack gets 1 1/2 - 1 3/4 cans a day. (180-210 calories). It matters how active we are that day. Wellness 5.5 cans have about 220 calories so divided by 4 would be 55 calories each slice. We eat the Wellness grainfree canned and love our small meals. This way we aren't begging for food all the time between meals and we don't beg for treats. This works for us but everyone will be different on what and how much and how often they eat. I look forward to reading others posts too.
  • Marie CallinMarie Callin Member Posts: 494
    edited 28 July, 2010
    The kittens at the farm I work at get almost all wet food. There are five kittens who are about 4 months old as well as 3 "uncles" who are one year old. The kittens and the 'uncles' all have the same mother but differant father. All together they eat about 50 ounces of wet food a day (split between the 8 of them). The wet food is cheap brands like Sophistacat, Priority, and Friskies...but close to the same amount of calories per can as Wellness etc.
  • Marla BradfordMarla Bradford Palm Beach CountyMember Posts: 630
    edited 3 August, 2010
    We calculate out Miss P's food to equal about 170-200 calories a day. She's young and fairly active (loves to chase the puppy around). Her wet food is Weruva and the 3 oz cans have about 50-80 calories a can (they have VERY high moisture content). She gets a can of wet Weruva in the morning and then 1/3 a cup of Blue Wilderness in the evening. When we fed her ALL wet 170 calories, she started eating the dog's kibble so doing a mix works very well for her appetite.
  • Kelly M-Kelly M- Member Posts: 779
    edited 3 August, 2010
    Does anyone know how many calories are in Wellness Core Dry food? I feed that to Hunter overnight. He only gets 1/4 of a cup. So its not a lot. I can't find the info anywhere! It doesn't even mention it on the website. Then again, I've been on a computer for 8 hours, and my eyes are a little buggy... (stupid desk job!) I want to start figuring out how much to feed him in the coming months, and I forgot about his dry food. I also have to weigh him, I'm dying to know how much he weighs. Anyway, if someone could find that info for me it would be greatly appreciated! Thanks! :D
  • Marie CallinMarie Callin Member Posts: 494
    edited 5 August, 2010
    Wellness CORE dry is very high calorie - 536 calories per cup.
    edited 5 August, 2010
    Thanks Mo! Yea I found that out after 2 days of searching! I don't know why they don't put that on the website. Well Hunter is going to be slowly weened off of that. Way too many calories #1. #2. Wet is definiately better. and #3 it'll save me some money!! %:D% Thanks again for finding that for me. :)
  • Huey TanHuey Tan Member Posts: 108
    edited 23 August, 2010
    I'mma still growing... Soooo... I get to eat as much as I want!;c; Yeah!!! Free Om nom nom buffet everyday! Just that my poor mommy have to clean up quite a bit after I go potty.|^|
  • Jordan SpivaJordan Spiva Los Angeles,CAMember Posts: 355
    edited 1 September, 2010
    Sprinkles is 4-5 years old now. She's 10 pounds and I give her 1/4 cup of TOTW feline in the morning and 1/4 cup in the evening
    edited 3 September, 2010
    Hmmm, all the answers are blank. Strange...:-O Anyway, I wonder if people wouldn't mind posting how old their cat is and how much they feed them. As in how many cans per day, or How much dry etc... I'm having a little trouble with Hunter and realized I'm not needing him enough. ::o I feel really bad about it, so I was wondering if my fellow catsters wouldn't mind posting again. I wonder why all the answers are blank.
  • Paula K-Paula K- New YorkMember Posts: 2,244
    edited 3 September, 2010
    Hunter - I'm not sure why all the answers are gone! I don't think I replied the first time, but I saw your other post about sleeping so I'm going to reply now. Not everyone agrees, but when I have foster kittens under a year old I let them eat as much canned food as they want (no dry). They're usually so active that they burn it all off. You would have to check the protein and calories of the Weruva, but it *seems* like a light food - lots of gravy. And if you don't see more activity in the next few days I would take him in to the vet. It's not normal for a 7 month old to sleep that much. Mo's suggestion about raw food is good too - I don't know if you're at all interested, but I have seen increased activity and all around better health when my boys went on a raw diet.