Dear Catster reader,

Almost two years ago, we invested numerous resources and rebuilt the Catster community. With new hardware, software and personnel, we did our best to satisfy the many users who shared their thoughts, pictures, questions, and love for and of their pets with us and friends. It was a thriving community with many users. We hoped, however, there would be more like you.

Times and habits have changed and we are sad to announce that the Catster community will be closing down on July 20, 2019.

Catster magazine, www.catster.com and the associated social media sites are NOT shutting down. We encourage you to continue reading the content found in the pages of the magazine and the web sites, commenting through the mechanisms provided and sharing your ideas and comments with us and your fellow readers.

Instructions for accessing pet profiles were shared with everyone in 2017. The instructions can be found elsewhere within the forum. AFTER JULY 20TH, YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO ACCESS THIS CONTENT. And, effective immediately, we are no longer able to answer questions about the community.

Thank you for your support and we look forward to serving you through our magazine and website.

Cheers,
Catster

I have an importatnt question

Kelli SternKelli Stern Member Posts: 90
edited 9 August, 2010 in Laws & Legislation
I am currently living in a independent living facility. I am not suppose to have, but have hidden 3 and sometimes more for a yr now. The other day I was found out. I've been meaning to get them registered as service/comfort cats, but just kept putting it off. Now I'm in a desperate scrabble to get it done. What I need to know is what the ADA law states as far as tenets. Mind you this is a mental health facility (I was diagnosed with Bipolar Disorder). My housing is trying to say the ADA rules don't apply to them. But if I'm not mistaken the ADA rule don't pick and choose where they apply. I haven't been able to find an attorney that covers this, so my questions are going unanswered. I met a lady on the train who does this kinda of advocacy, but I'm still not getting any answers. Does anyone know about this? Your help would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Kelli SternKelli Stern Member Posts: 90
    edited 4 August, 2009
    I'm so glad the people on this site get back to people when they have an important question. Way to go people!
  • Kathryn GrahamKathryn Graham Norfolk,Member Posts: 123
    edited 2 August, 2009
    have you googled "service animals"? here's some stuff I found with a quick internet search, hope it helps http://your.kingcounty.gov/dias/ocre/animals.htm http://www.bazelon.org/issues/housing/infosheets/fhinfosheet6.html
    edited 2 August, 2009
    Yeah I have, but what I need to look at is the ADA law regarding tenets. I have someone who I'm working with, but she just doesn't seem to give me all the answers I need. I will check out the sites you posted.. OK checked out those sites.. LOTS of good information.. Thank you.
    edited 11 August, 2009
    OK I've made some calls about my situation. It looks like I have things in my favor. I'm going to get a doctors note and turn that in, plus a copy of the law. Hopefully that will back these people off.
  • Sarah_PinkSarah_Pink Chapel HillMember Posts: 153 ✭✭
    edited 11 August, 2009
    *hugs* Good luck with everything. Being bipolar isn't fun at all (speaking as someone with it).
  • Darlene WagnerDarlene Wagner MilwaukeeMember Posts: 1,075
    edited 12 August, 2009
    we will keep you in our purrs our mommy's mom is bi-polar too|:| she has 2 kitties to keep her company too
    edited 12 August, 2009
    OK now mommy has a new problem.Her insurance company changed doctors, so much for getting a doctors note. Now she has to figure out who she can get a note from.
  • SterlingAndTheSTeamSterlingAndTheSTeam Mount OliveMember Posts: 41,262 ✭✭✭
    edited 12 August, 2009
    Can't you still call your "old" doctor? He is familiar with your situation and medical condition so he would be better suited to write the note.
  • Sara ShakkedSara Shakked JerusalemMember Posts: 111
    edited 13 August, 2009
    I know airlines recognize mental health service cats, probably because they have to by law. And ADA DOES apply.
    edited 19 August, 2009
    I will try and call him to see if he'll do it. Dr Carlos is cool. I tried getting ahold of my old psychiatrist, but because I'm not a client there I can't use her. So far I haven't heard anything else from management, so I'm holding my breath. The advocacy place called me back to check how things were going. So they are on top of it. They said if I needed anything just to call.
  • casey jostcasey jost Boca RatonMember Posts: 7
    edited 7 August, 2010
    Lilly, I am in almost the same situation. I had a friend who is a psychologist write a letter stating that my cats are service animals that are needed for theraputic value. My landlord is no longer able to ask for a deposit and I can fly with them for free. According to the ADA you do NOT have to divulge any information about why the animals are service animals. Basically my landlord said, dogs are service animals for blind people, how could a cat be a service animal? As soon as I dropped "ADA" and "LAWYER" he totally left me alone. Any therapist would be happy to write you such a note.
  • terri echolsterri echols kalamazooMember Posts: 4,758
    edited 9 August, 2010
    anyone know how things are going with this? lilly, did you get the help you needed?