Indoor barking control...

Kelly M-Kelly M- Member Posts: 779
edited 14 August, 2010 in Cat Health
Hunters Mom here... :r Hunter lives with Teaka. She is our 1 year old Yorkshire Terrier, who barks all the time. So I heard about this indoor barking control unit, and thought I'd give it a try. Its for dogs. Well it came in the mail today and I put the battery in. I accidentally pressed the button on the top and Hunter freaked out!!! I think he must of jumped like 3 feet in the air. :(( I didn't know it would affect cats. I thought that cats and dogs have different hearing ranges. Now Hunter won't let me touch him, I tried to pick him up to comfort him, he freaked out again. He won't let me touch his ears. I feel horrible!!! I have tears in my eyes. I would never do anything to hurt Hunter. Now I'm afraid that he associates me with the bad noise. I don't know what to do. I took the battery out of the device. I want my dog to stop barking but yet I don't want it to hurt Hunter at all in the process. I feel like a bad mom... :((

Comments

• Hazel_LucyHazel_Lucy PurrsvilleMember Posts: 6,156 ✭✭✭
    edited 13 August, 2010
    Hunt-er! Boy have I got the answer for your dog! I have one, lots of dogs have them and I bet a whole zealie they\'ll work for your dog. Calming Collars Calming Collars on Facebook You can read and post all the comments from dogs and cats on the Facebook page if you are on Facebook. The woman Deb, who makes them, has cats on Catster (though not active much), and she is great about answering questions. You can read in my diary about my experience with the collar. hope this helps, Hazel Lucy
  • Vicky ChanVicky Chan MarkhamMember Posts: 3,542
    edited 13 August, 2010
    Hunter, it's not your fault. You had no idea it was gonna happen. He'll come around eventually, just give him a minute or two. The calming collar sounds great, but I think it's a dominance issue with Teka. Just put her in her crate every time she barks and ignore her.
  • Lisa DausmanLisa Dausman Member Posts: 5,216
    edited 13 August, 2010
    Your not a bad mommy, it was an accident, and actually, your pretty much like me, mol, very responsible and about as pickey as I am, mol. :-h I watch Its Me Or The Dog alot, she has some great training technicks, and I know I have seen, how she teaches doggies not to bark, but I will be gosh darned, if I can remember what she did. I know its important to understand, why, they do, what they do, baddy boy/girl stuff, its the key to teaching them correct behavior. And I know you never reward, bad behavior. Alot of stuff, she ignors them, or walks away or puts them in a time out. :-k I did find one of her articles, it explains the different barks, and what they mean, its a place to start, if you can understand why your doggie barks. I would start watching the show, to pick up some tips, and she might have a barking doggie in one of her shows soon. :D In the mean time, I found this link for you, look thru her site, you might find an article on how to stop barking doggies, or maybe put up a post in Dogster. Hope this helps. :-h http://www.channel4.com/programmes/its-me-or-the-dog/articles/10-dog-barks-translated :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D
  • Dawn HarmanDawn Harman SpeedwellMember Posts: 1,079
    edited 14 August, 2010
    It could be that Teaka is board and needs more walks or things to do. Bumpurr, I saw that one also and you can watch full episodes on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/IMOTD?v=wall I did not check in to any but I did ad the show to my \"like\" list. I liked what she did with the Catahoula who was barking and had the other dogs all barking too. Luckily my Catahoula does not do that, but he does lick his feet a lot.Dang yeast infection is hard to get rid of. Good luck and I sure hope you find something that does not bother Hunter, it was NOT your fault as you did not know. See about sending it back for a refund. Get him some real good cat nip and see if that will help make a mends. I also agree with Hazel Lucy, as I have recommend those Calming Collars to people while I am doing store demos for Nutro.People tell me all the time that they work very well. You could also try this:http://healing.about.com/od/floweressences/a/rescue-remedy.htm Good Luck and please keep us informed as to how they do and what works better.