cats fur is matted

Topaz TopazTopaz Topaz Member Posts: 139 ✭✭
edited 21 August, 2010 in Cat Health
Hello everyone! My older brother has some matted fur and my mommy doesnt know what to do. My older brother doesn't like to be brushed and seems to have stopped grooming himself as well as he has in the past. He's going to be three in a few months and this is the first time he has ever had mats in his long fur. My older brother, Elvis, becomes cranky when he is brushed and when he is petted and doesn't want to be. When mommy touches Elvis near the mats he becomes really angry and mommy isnt sure if its him being cranky or if it hurts. Please help!!!

Comments

• Sharon DaltonSharon Dalton Member Posts: 3,728
    edited 20 August, 2010
    Baron, the only thing to be done for bad mats is to clip the cat. :-O Now, your mom might try, with a BLUNT pair of scissors (like the kids use in kindergarten) to cut the mats out, but that will leave "holes." The safest bet would be to take him to a professional groomer. Beyond that, I'd be concerned that a cat so young has stopped grooming; could there be a medical problem? Is he overweight? The lack of grooming is a signal that something is not quite right.
  • Topaz TopazTopaz Topaz Member Posts: 139 ✭✭
    edited 20 August, 2010
    Should mommy take him to the vet to be checked out? We are keeping the vet in business with five kitties!! Mommy was going to get him a lion cut but considering his attitude and personality it would cost lots of money (200+) because the vet will only shave him if he is put out (anesthesia). Mommy has never dealt with a kitty who has mats.
  • Lisa ProvostLisa Provost Member Posts: 4,486
    edited 20 August, 2010
    I was going to mention that when a cat stops grooming, there's usually a health issue involved. Anytime a cat stops acting like a cat...meaning, not using the litter box properly, not grooming all the time like they usually do, not eating, etc. that may or may not indicate a health problem. But if your mom wants to have it checked just to be on the safe side, I would advise it. Also, once you do get those mats out (you will have to clip them off) use a furminator in the future, it really helps!
  • Lisa DausmanLisa Dausman Member Posts: 5,216
    edited 20 August, 2010
    Some matting, is normal with a LH kitty, but it is more under their under arms, and their britches, which is the bushy part of their back legs, that why they need to be combed out, not brushed, every few days. And that is due to their fur gets a little greasy, more so, under their under arms. When mine are on the circuit, they get baths every week, and combed every day. But unless they are going to a show, they don't get baths, so the matts are common, and this is due to the greasy fur, common in maine coons. But Mordred is right, unless you are knowledgeable and used to cutting out matts, you should not attempt it, especially if the kitty is not used to being handled and groomed, you might accidently cut him, which means a trip to the vet, and possible infection. Where are the matts located? If its on his back, he may be unable to groom himself there, if he is overweight, that is one reason. And Alex is right, it may be a medical issue. If you see dandreff in that area, that is usually due to poor nutrition, and/or not getting enough omega 3/6. What do you feed? I would first rule out a medical issue, as the others said. If he is overweight, that is prob the problem, he can't reach back there. Does he have alot of matts or is it just a few? If its under his under arms, that is just lack of combing out. If he has alot of matts, your only course of action, might be to just get him clipped. But then you are going to have to teach him to be handled and groomed. You can do this, the same way we teach 8 week old kittens to be groomed. You start with a human soft baby brush. Pick a table to groom him on, one that is sturdy and he isn't going to knock things off. Expect him to be squirmy at first, Cruiser was horrible in the beginning, very squirmy. Put a treat down, then set him down, we use baby food, just a few licks. Then do not, let go of him, if he ever gets away from you, its going to be twice as hard the next time, ask someone to help you hold him. Give him a few brushes, keep the lessons short in the beginning, talk to him, praise him, when he stops squirming, give him another treat, then let him go. Always end on a positive note. Do this every day. Gradually, increase the lessons, until he sits there without squirming. This is how we teach kittens to be groomed, and how we teach them to walk out of the cage, and on to the table at their benching. Now both kittens sit right there, for baths, blow drying and grooming. It doesn't happen overnight, you have to be patient with them. Best of luck. :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D
    edited 20 August, 2010
    Thanks for your responses! Elvis is not overweight and never has been. He was losing some weight when we were free feeding the crew but I think its because the others (Goo and Baby D) were eating the food before Elvis could get to it! So he is at a healthy weight. He has been eating 1/2 cup of pro plan selects salmon and rice dry and 1 can of pro plan selects a day (3oz). We recently switched to whiskas purrfectly chicken and purrfectly fish - both wet- because the proplan was becoming too expensive. Could the change in wet food be affecting him? He is still getting 1/2 cup of pro plan dry. Goo and Baby D were put onto all wet diets and lost weight (they were overweight). I'm worried that if I change over to all wet with Elvis that he would lose weight. Elvis is a cranky boy who only likes to be touched when it suits him. He only likes to play with people when it suits him. He has attachment issues with his mommy and he cries if he doesnt see her in the morning. Elvis has a yellow blanket that he nurses on still (he's three yrs old)!! Would brushing/grooming him while he is nursing be helpful? I'm not sure why he still nurses but I think I tell myself that it helps calm him him down when he is stressed!
    edited 20 August, 2010
    This is what is in the Pro Plan, and I gave you the link too. You want to avoid, any glutens, any flours, gluten is the 3rd listed ingredient. Salmon, brown rice, corn gluten meal, chicken meal, animal fat preserved with mixed-tocopherols (form of Vitamin E), soy protein concentrate, dried egg product, oat meal, soybean meal, fish meal, natural flavor, potassium chloride, salt, phosphoric acid, L-Lysine monohydrochloride, dried sweet potatoes, dried spinach, blueberry pomace, choline chloride, zinc proteinate, taurine, Vitamin E supplement, calcium carbonate, manganese proteinate, ferrous sulfate, L-ascorbyl-2-polyphosphate (source of Vitamin C), niacin, copper proteinate, Vitamin A supplement, calcium pantothenate, thiamine mononitrate, riboflavin supplement, Vitamin B-12 supplement, pyridoxine hydrochloride, folic acid, Vitamin D-3 supplement, calcium iodate, biotin, menadione sodium bisulfite complex (source of Vitamin K activity), sodium selenite. B-4703 http://www.proplan.com:80/dry-cat-food/natural-salmon-brown-rice-formula/default.aspx This is what is in the Wiskas you feed, it has wheat gluten, that is a huge one, you want to avoid. Plus, with a boy kitty, you want to limit the fish, which includes fish flavored feeds, to no more than once a week, I won't feed it at all, as it is one cause of crystals. I also belive Whiskas is also made, by the same company, that makes Nutro, which, has a huge recall, plus other issues, that the others can explain better. It was so bad, some kitties put in in their little saying, say no to Nutro, and it was a huge production on here, as Nutro was one of the advertisers on here. Tuna (a source of Taurine), Sufficient Water for Processing, Salmon, Chicken, Soy Oil, Carrageenan, Tricalcium Phosphate, Sodium Tripolyphosphate, Cassia Gum, Guar Gum, Potassium Chloride, Wheat Gluten, Natural Flavors, Salt, Iron Oxide, Titanium Dioxide, Disodium EDTA, Vitamins (Vitamin A Acetate, dl-Alpha Tocopherol Acetate [Source of Vitamin E], Thiamine Mononitrate [Vitamin B1], Pyridoxine Hydrochloride [Vitamin B6], Riboflavin Supplement [Vitamin B2], Folilc Acid), Minerals (Manganese Sulfate, Zinc Sulfate), Sodium Nitrite (for color retention), BHA/BHT (a preservative). http://www.whiskas.com/meal_time/purrfectly_fish/pf_salmon.aspx Sufficient Water for Processing, Chicken, Liver, Soy Oil, Corn Starch-Modified, Wheat Gluten, Natural Flavors, Guar Gum, Sodium Tripolyphosphate, Taurine, Salt, Vitamins (Vitamin A Acetate, dl-Alpha Tocopherol Acetate [Source OF Vitamin E], Thiamine Mononitrate [Vitamin B1], Pyridoxine Hydrochloride [Vitamin B6], Riboflavin Supplement [Vitamin B2], Folic Acid), Disodium EDTA, Caramel Coloring, Sodium Nitrite (for color retention), Minerals (Manganese Sulfate, Zinc Sulfate), BHA/BHT (a preservative). http://www.whiskas.com/meal_time/purrfectly_chicken/pc_chicken.aspx Yup, it is Mars. http://www.whiskas.com/siteowner.aspx The others can explain better nutrition, and the benefits of feeding a grain free feed. Here is a link to help you get started. http://www.catnutrition.org/index.php http://www.catinfo.org/ http://www.ibdkitties.net/index.html Whatever makes Elvis comfortable, mol, if he likes his yellow blankey, then yes, start there. Smokey is 5, and she still kneeds the bears on the bed and sucks on them, mol. :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D
    edited 21 August, 2010
    Thanks for the info! I will be sure to check it out! What would you recommend to feed these babies?? I want the best for them but am on a tight budget at this point. I really like feeding the kitties wet food but want them to eat food that's decent. Back to the drawing board to figure out what to feed the babies.
    edited 21 August, 2010
    I feed Blue Wilderness, the chicken one, its the only thing Bumpurr will eat, its by Blue Buffalo, you can get it at Petsmart. I know its a little more expensive, than what you get in the grocery store, but taking Prowler to the vets, and twice as an er, and taking Bumpurr in for his tummy issues, got to be real expensive. So I look at it, like, in the long run, its healhier for the kitties and less trips to the vet, which is less money. :D You don't have to feed BW, there are other quality foods out there, but it seems like alot lately, are having issues with Wellness or Wellness Core, its in one of the other posts. :D Best of luck. ~b~ ~b~ ~b~
    edited 21 August, 2010
    Thank you! I will have to look through the nutrition forums and research more. I just want a food that I can feed to all my kitties. Elvis is slowly getting used to wet food after being fed dry food for 2 years, Moose has food allergies (I think) and has been doing okay on the combination of proplan and whiskas so I'm hesitant to switch because I don't know what exactly she is allergic to, Baron has a pee problem but I figure as long as I keep feeding him all wet he will be fine (haven't had issues since the switch), Baby D was just a little chunky and has lost weight and is now healthy, and the last, Piggy hasn't been eating (just was spayed). When she first came to use she ate non-stop (I think she was really excited that she was being fed yummy food multiple times a day). I really hate that the vets I've taken the kitties to have not been educated in this area and can't really have a discussion about what cats need or which is better. I've only gotten the "The food in the foyer is the best" which based on posts here I know that not to be true!! Thank you again for your suggestions and links!!