Cat Diaherra

sam Horlicksam Horlick Member Posts: 8
edited 22 August, 2010 in Cat Health
Hey Everyone, My cats been having ups and downs of diaherra lately... well since i've had him and that was in mid June. The breeder didn't have him on the best of foods Nutro Natural Choice Kitten food so i decided to switch him to Acana Prairie Harvest, which was a WAY better food for his over all health...however that didn't go so well either so again i switched to a food to something that had a higher fibre % to atleast brings his "poops" together. Well anyways i took him to the vet to get neutered and the vet did not do it because his blood work came back with a high liver enzyme count... they wanted to do lots of blood work on Stiggy but i declined because i just dont have that kind of money at the moment. The vet said he could be fine for the next neuter they would just use different drugs... Well he still has diaherra and i just dont know what to do at this point!...i feel like i've tried everything imaginable. I am almost considering putting him back on his bad food ( Nutro Natural Choice ) =( Today was especially bad with the diaherra. I feel so sorry for him. Anyone have any suggestions for me??

Comments

• Kitty PoopooKitty Poopoo Member Posts: 2
    edited 17 August, 2010
    When I poopooed in my mommy's underwear drawer she rubbed my face in it and then added one tablespoon of my poop to my milk everyday for a week to teach me a lesson. I feel much better now.
  • Kitty PoopooKitty Poopoo Member Posts: 2
    edited 14 August, 2010
    When I poopooed in my mommy's underwear drawer she rubbed my face in it and then added one tablespoon of my poop to my milk everyday for a week to teach me a lesson. I feel much better now.
  • sam Horlicksam Horlick Member Posts: 8
    edited 14 August, 2010
    I see, lol. Well Stiggy doesn't need to be taught any kind of lesson he just needs a solution to his upset tummy/ bum problem. I've heard fortiflora might help. I think thats what i might try next, saves me from trying to buy a new food and also saves me from putting him back on a terrible cat food.
  • Lisa DausmanLisa Dausman Member Posts: 5,216
    edited 14 August, 2010
    Stiggy, is this issue for real? Because if it is, I can help, I have been thru this, and I know, exactly, what to do. BUT, based on Milo's post, and the fact, that he is your friend, and this might be the same person, I am not going to type out all the information, if this is just a "put on". We at Catster love our kitties, and we do not tolerate kitties being mis-treated, and I am the one, who no one wants to take on, in that area. :n:
  • Sarah ClarkSarah Clark Ruston, AustinMember Posts: 689
    edited 14 August, 2010
    Did you do a complete switch on the food right away or did you slowly switch it over the course of 14 days? Cats and Kittens especially have sensitive digestive tracts and a sudden switch of food like that could upset thier tummy. Especially with a richer food. Plus if you switched food right away when getting her shes adjusting to a new person, and a new home as well. It may be a good Idea to go back to 50/50 on the food for a little while and see if the stools form up. Diaherra is a serious issue because kitty can get dehydrated. Try and offer lots of wet food and fresh clean water. Something else you might look into that I have seen posted around here would be a temporary use of Eaglepack Transition Solution mixed with the food to help with the transition. From Amazon: Product Description Holistic Transition is the science-based, symptom-free way to convert your pet naturally to the benefits of healthier nutrition. The use of Probiotics and Digestive Enzymes aid digestion and nutrient absorption, reduce or eliminate diarrhea and vomiting and enhance the digestive tracts ability to accept diet changes without a problem. Like I said, might be worth looking into to see if its right for you. As far as what your friend Milo posted: That sounds like ABUSE. I dont know any furless here on Catster that would make their cat EAT their poo. That is not going to teach a kitty anything and is really bad for their health! :n:
  • Susanna CookSusanna Cook Member Posts: 768
    edited 14 August, 2010
    Cat diaherra is often caused by foods that are too hard to digest, or plants that are very thick and bad for them. Some plants are practically poisonous to cats, so be sure to remove all plants that you have noticed your cat chewing on and put them out of reach, such as a higher area that cats generally would not jump on. Also, make sure that you only give your cat foods that are intended for cats of that age, and if you give your cat human foods, please be sure to make it only small amounts of meats with no seasoning or toppings. If you do all of this, and your cat still continues to have diaherra, then I suggest that you go take them to the vet.
    edited 14 August, 2010
    I agree with all of you as far as Milo goes and it sounding like abuse, i do not tolerate any kind of animal cruelty thats why i didn't post a huge response to Milo. I wasn't sure if the person was serious or not with what they said and of course i myself would NEVER ever do that to my own animals. I did just join the site yesterday so i'm not to sure how the site really works apart from it being a forum and with accepting friends requests...is there a way to remove friends?... I did switch the foods over gradually when I was doing the transition to the other foods and Stiggy was ok for the first few days to a week after the full switch then the diaherra started back up again. I have given him some wet food in between because i wanted to give him some moisture with worry that he might get a little dehydrated. I did also have him on a bland diet of cooked white rice and cooked skinless chicken breast and that seems to go really well for him...
  • Lisa ProvostLisa Provost Member Posts: 4,486
    edited 14 August, 2010
    If your liver enzymes were high, your mom needs to take that very seriously. I had fatty liver disease and now I'm an angel! Liver problems are nothing to play with and believe me, no one understands money problems better than my mom. But bloodwork should definitely be done to see what's going on. If you don't treat it now, you may end up with a much worse problem and a higher vet bill on top of that. Please, consider at least getting a fecal done and bloodwork to make sure there is nothing serious going on!
    edited 14 August, 2010
    Thanks, for all the help and input you guys. My mom is definitely taking everything into consideration =) We are going to start trying Fortiflora today and see how that helps me, this morning i was feeling a bit better than last night thank goodness! I might even try having some rice and low sodium chicken broth for dinner later...just to get some more fluids back in me.
  • Tina BTina B Vancouver IslandMember Posts: 2,238
    edited 14 August, 2010
    I would take Alex's advice, also you may want to try some of this click here Also you should think about changing the food, the ingredients in those foods are not very good. Some good foods to try would be Wellness Grain free wet food, and Evo wet food. Also read a site called catinfo.org Hope you feel better soon.
  • Lisa DaversLisa Davers SacramentoMember Posts: 3,642
    edited 14 August, 2010
    Stiggy, is your poop normal colour (darkish brown) or is it a lighter more yellowish colour? With the raised liver enzymes if it is a lighter yellowish colour this may be a sign of pancreatitis and not being able to digest the fats in your food properly. Unfortunately the test to confirm pancreatitis is fairly expensive but mild/chronic pancraetitis can be managed by diet. You'd need to find a lower fat food but still high quality/high protein food so that your body doesn't have to deal with as much of the fat it has problems with. Innova Low Fat Adult Food is a good one with aprox half the fat of normal food but still a good protein level. If your poop is light coloured/yellowish take a sample to your vet and ask about food changes or other supplements suggested in the previous posts that you could try. Also googling pancreatitis/IBD will also give some good sites to check out for other ideas if you think this could be what the problem is.
  • Lisa ProvostLisa Provost Member Posts: 4,486
    edited 14 August, 2010
    Oh Stiggy! FortiFlora isn't good for kitties. It contains animal fat and not the healthy kind of fat either. The kind that clogs arteries and raises cholesterol. That's not going to help you much! Try Eaglepack Holistics Transition chicken flavored powder. It's got some mild kitty probiotics in there and tastes yummy! http://www.petstore.com/Eagle_Pack_Holistic_Transition_Supplement_2.2oz_Adult_Dog_Food-Eagle_Pack-QG59300-DGFDAD-vi.html.
    edited 14 August, 2010
    Hi Stiggy, I am the overly pickey one on here, as the others know, mol, and this really is a great board, we are like a family on here, we support and help each other. Milo is a real cute kitten, too bad his mommy or daddy put up a post like that. So now that we know, you are not associated with Milo, welcome to the board! :-h I know this from having horses, you should not treat, unless you know what your treating for, as it could make the situation worse, or delay the proper treatment. The others have given you good suggestions, if you knew what was causing Stiggy's diarea. :D You have to address the liver issue first, as that, is one cause of diarea. Did the vet do a CBC and Wellness blood panel? What lab did they send it to, Antech or Iddexx? Antech is the better one. The liver value is the ALT value on the blood panel report. The vet should of given you a copy of it, all they do is just photocopy it. Normal ALT values are 10-100, what was Stiggy's value? *If* Stiggy's ALT value is high, he needs an x-ray, not more blood work, to see if the liver looks normal, and/or if there is anything else going on in there, ideal is x-ray from the side, which is the norm, and x-ray from the top. The x-rays would also show if his intestines are inflammed, which would show up as dark, and/or if its possible he ingested something or there is something else going on inside him. If his liver is normal, it may be his intestines are inflammed, from the food, and/or the constant changing of the food, kitties systems are very sensative, and kittens even more so. There are many anti spazmodics they can put him on, the most common is metronidazole. If, your vet mentions centrine, MAKE SURE he checks Stiggy's heart first, it will kill a cat with heart issues. Stiggy needs to be put on a quality grain free food, I feed Blue Wilderness, its by Blue Buffalo, but there are other good quality foods out there. He should also be on wet, mixed with water, so its soupy, to keep him hydrated, and keep him flushed out. Diarea can dehydrate them quickly, and even more so, if he has liver issues. DO NOT GIVE HIM PEDIALITE. If he has liver issues, they should put him on Denosyl, its one of the better liver meds. What the cat eats, enters into the blood, and the blood is filtered thru the liver. Another reason he needs to be on a quality food, and kept flushed out, and the good news is, the liver is the only organ, that can repair itself. So, first find out, what his ALT value is, and see if any other values are not normal, then ask for an x-ray, and go from there. Best of luck, he is a beautiful cat, looks like he is well cared for, could be a show cat, from the picture. One step at a time, find out what is wrong, then it can be properly treated. :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D
  • SterlingAndTheSTeamSterlingAndTheSTeam Mount OliveMember Posts: 41,262 ✭✭✭
    edited 14 August, 2010
    Stiggy, be aware that the Catster forums are patrolled by moderators and the Catster members themselves are very protective of all our Catster families. If you wish to remove a "friend", go to: My Account scroll down your cat's pet page to serious stuff -- remove a feline friend from your crew Feel free to pmail me any time if you have any questions about the operations of Catster or if someone is bothering you. Welcome to Catster! Purrs and Love, Athena Catster Moderator
    edited 15 August, 2010
    Stiggy has a vet appointment for tuesday for a neuter but i'm going to call the vet first thing tomorrow to see if the liver enzymes could be associated with the diaherra. See what they say. Then depending on that i will either postpone the neuter and do bloodwork instead...but i just really need to see what the vet say so thats what Stiggy has planned for the beginning of the week. He's currently eating Wellness Indoor Cat. I have heard about Blue i haven't had the opprotunity to look into it yet but i will once i hear from the vet. =)
  • SterlingAndTheSTeamSterlingAndTheSTeam Mount OliveMember Posts: 41,262 ✭✭✭
    edited 17 August, 2010
    Milo's post has been removed as it does not conform to the Catster Community Rules to be fun, friendly and informative.
    edited 22 August, 2010
    Quick update on Stiggy, He went to the vet to have some blood work done on Thursday, my vet contacted me on saturday just to let me know not to worry and everything so far seemed great with his liver. Thank God! haha And as for the diaherra he's doing much much better, my breeder recommended putting him back on the food she had him on which i did ( although i dont quite agree with the ingriediants) he's doing much better. Stiggy is still doing half and half of his dry food to make the transition but he seems much happier. He did however have a little eye infection which persians are prone to...so the vet gave me a ointment to place on his eye 2-3 times a day and thats clearing up to. Yaaaay :)=D>
    edited 22 August, 2010
    So glad he is doing better and feeling better, I was wondering about Stiggy, he is part of our family now, mol. Glad too the ALT value is normal, don't wish that on anyone. :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D