couple questions

Renee RyzRenee Ryz Member Posts: 2,164
edited 23 August, 2010 in Cat Health
well, I am prob either keeping this kitten, or finding her a new home, but couple questions. Can they tell right away for feline leukemia & herpes? I know she will get dewormed, and remembering rightly, they gave Tigger a shot for fleas when I found him. It was so much easier to quarantine him - I kept him on the screen porch all snug as a bug til he could come in, but it will be a challenge with this little one. Tig wants his porch time. Every time I take Tig out for his walk, she come running up to him, and wants to rub on him. I feel bad, but I keep trying to pull him away right now. BIG questions are what do I especially need to be cautious of with Tigger & his heart disease? I do not want to compromise his health at all.

Comments

• Lisa DausmanLisa Dausman Member Posts: 5,216
    edited 22 August, 2010
    I knew it, I knew it, mol, I knew you would keep the kitten, mol. :)):)):)):)):)):)):)) Bump just made $1.00 :-h FeLV is contagious, you want to keep the little one from nose to nose contact to Tigger, and make sure you wash your hands real good, after you handle the little one, before you handle Tigger. I gave you a link on FeLV, it was easier than typing it all out, mol. I forget now, at what age, kittens can be tested for FeLV, but I know they have to have the test, before they get the shot. You vet could tell you at what age the kitten can be tested for it, ask the vet, not the girls up front. With Tiggers heart issues, he has a weakened immune system, so its imperative, he not have any contact, at all, with the new kitten, until she has had her shots and tests. He should prob be on L-Lysine, forget now if he is or isn't, mol, but run that by your vet too. Will give you another link on kittens. If you have to walk thru the porch, to take Tigger out, pick him up and carry him, or put the little one in a carrier, before you take him thru. She needs to learn carrier training, and at her age, now is a good time to teach her. Start by feeding her in the carrier, she will soon learn, carriers are a good thing. So glad you took in that kitten, keep us posted, how she is doing, and what you named her, and now ya gotta put up her picture, mol. :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?c=1+2134&aid=211 http://www.peteducation.com/category.cfm?c=1+2137 http://www.peteducation.com/category.cfm?c=1+2143 That should keep ya busy for awhile, mol. :-h:-h:-h:-h:-h:-h:-h:-h:-h:-h
  • Renee RyzRenee Ryz Member Posts: 2,164
    edited 23 August, 2010
    Thanks Bump...hmm how did you know that I was a softie? (seems the hubby is too);) My son came home today from being away a week for work, and his first question was "I expected to see the new cat" Gonna call the vet tomorrow & see when I can get her in. She is still in the garden, which is right by my back door, where her food & water is. She has been sleeping in the green peppers, which I have a layer of dry grass mulch, so she is snug, and close! Bump - keep this up & your gonna have enough dollars to go to Vegas!:))!
    edited 23 August, 2010
    Hi Tigger! :-h Bump knew, because your mommy and my mommy are so alike, mol, which is why we is goody friends. :-h I forgot what color the kitten is, have you thought of a name for her yet? Can't wait to see her picture and her name, mol. :)) One of my cat show friends called me last night, she raises and shows Persians. Very nice people. At work they found 2 kittens, eyes not even open yet, one in an excavator, which I don't even know what that is, but doesn't sound good, and the other one in another machinery, heard the kittens crying. Momma no where in site, and they looked, saw alot of possum tracks, figured it got the momma and the other brothers and sisters, if there were any. These 2 kittens were drenched in oil, which I am thinking, prob saved their lifes, the possum prob couldn't smell them. She said it took 9 baths in dawn, to get the oil out. She been tube feeding them and then bottle feeding them, emailed me this morn, they are now eating wet food, and are using the kitty box, she said they eat like truck drivers, mol. I can't take in another one, but told her if she sends me their pictures, I will put them up and see if we can find them home, one is black with white paws, the other one is red. Will get their pictures and story up later today, and we are putting them on the cat show board. I even told her, I would deliver them to their new home, heck, I travel 6-7 hrs to a show, so its no big deal, if it will help them get to a forever home. She is adament, she wants an indoor home only. So please pray for these little babies, that they find a home. =;=;=;=;=;=;=;=;=;=;=;
  • Renee RyzRenee Ryz Member Posts: 2,164
    edited 23 August, 2010
    I hope they find a home. I told The Dad that if I ever won the lottery, I would have to open a "kitty sanctuary" he just shakes his head & laughs at me. (deep dpwn he is a softie) Not sure with a name yet, but she is a black & brown tabby with white paws & tummy, and a little blask stick of a tail.
    edited 23 August, 2010
    I got them up, they linked with Bumpurr's stuff, mol, but I figured out how to put ones picture seperate, his name is Coal, its in the kitten section, he is the black one. I am hoping someone on here takes them, or at least one, that way I can see pictures of how they grow and keep tract of them, hear the cool stories as they grow. :D Geez, getting attached to Coal already, and he got his first friend request, and got invited to some groups. I just cannot financially take on another one right now, I remember how much it cost, for all the kittens shots and neuters, sigh..... hope someone on here takes him, at least I can still feel like his "aunty". :D Can't wait to see what you end up naming her. Oh, forgot to tell you, Bump and Tigger is going to Vegas, with all the dollors Bump won, mol, they want to play the game, where the little ball spins around, I know its cause they just want to chase the little ball, mol, mol, mol. :))
    edited 23 August, 2010
    Here I is, here I is Tigger! :-h I is just a little baby, I is only 5 weeks old. I only been on here since this morn, and I already has one friend, Lucy asked to be my friend, so she will always be my bestest buddy. Will you be my next friend? %:D% I so hopes someone on here will give me a furever homey, I don't want to leave all my friends, and my new "brother" Bumpurr. ~b~